Success after IF

?!?!?! Live virus H1N1 vaccine

DH and I got the nasal H1N1 vaccine last week from my OB. Now my friend just told me that she was told NOT to get it because she has a baby and it's a live virus. I told the woman at the OB's office I had preemies and she said nothing about me not getting the vaccine. Now I'm scared. Are my babies at risk of getting sick?!?!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: ?!?!?! Live virus H1N1 vaccine

• I am not a nurse or a doctor but based on what I know, the answer is no. From what I have heard about the live virus, it is not enough to make you sick, which would be the only way that Charlie and Lily would get sick. I am 99.9% sure that they will be fine. Hopefully one of our resident nurses can reassure you more.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I found this on the CDC website, so I'm guessing I'm okay. Whew!

Can health care personnel in a neonatal intensive care unit (NICU) get LAIV (live attenuated influenza vaccine)?

Yes. Either the inactivated injectable influenza vaccine or the LAIV can be given to health care personnel working in a neonatal intensive care unit (NICU). Nearly all healthy, non-pregnant health care workers, including those who come in contact with newborn infants, pregnant women, persons with a solid organ transplant, persons receiving chemotherapy (not in preparation for a bone marrow transplant), and persons with HIV/AIDS, may receive LAIV if otherwise eligible. However, LAIV should not be used for health care personnel who care for patients undergoing bone marrow transplantation (i.e., patients who require a protected environment).

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • imageMillion$$Baby:

I found this on the CDC website, so I'm guessing I'm okay. Whew!

Can health care personnel in a neonatal intensive care unit (NICU) get LAIV (live attenuated influenza vaccine)?

Yes. Either the inactivated injectable influenza vaccine or the LAIV can be given to health care personnel working in a neonatal intensive care unit (NICU). Nearly all healthy, non-pregnant health care workers, including those who come in contact with newborn infants, pregnant women, persons with a solid organ transplant, persons receiving chemotherapy (not in preparation for a bone marrow transplant), and persons with HIV/AIDS, may receive LAIV if otherwise eligible. However, LAIV should not be used for health care personnel who care for patients undergoing bone marrow transplantation (i.e., patients who require a protected environment).

i'm so glad you're in the clear!!  whew.  but how scary :(  i would be scared about that too.  as if it's not scary enough just that it's "out there" let alone the idea of bringing it home.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

My Blog

Our successful cycle was IVF #2: Microdose Lupron Flare Protocol - 2 beautiful blasts transferred.

email me: gretchela@hotmail.com
  • I see you found the answer, but this is a common concern from what I see.  The live virus in the nasal spray is weakened in a way that it can't reproduce and make you sick.  It's definitely not a risk for your little guys!
  • I think you are OK.  Everyone feels different about this - I guess.  My friend is a nurse and told me last night that people shouldn't get the flumist, but that is kinda HIS opinion.  He said he has seen ppl get sick from it.  I think people normally don't get sick from the vaccines but they might have contracted something BEFORE they got the shot. 

You will be fine.  I was contemplating getting the flumist but only stayed away becuase of BFing.  It's fine.

I do think dr. offices think EVERYONE can get the nasal mist and I'm not sure they are that careful in dolling it out to people.  But,  not trying to scare you, I think it is TOTALLY ok.

• When Flumist first came out, they told people who had contact with young kids, compromised immune system people, etc. to not get it.  Since then, I think their additional data have shown that it's not a problem except for the cases listed above (bone marrow transplant people who basically have no immune system).  

Just think of it as an "attenuated virus" instead of "live virus" - it sounds much less scary.  I'm sure you are fine, and it is better to have the vaccine and hopefully not bring home the flu.     

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"