Parenting after a Loss
Options

Pumping?

I haven't started pumping yet...DS is only a little over 2 weeks and they told me to wait until he is a month. I'm uncertain as to when to do it...for how long...what to store it in and how long it can be left in fridge/freezer, etc. I breastfed DD for 10 weeks and had to stop b/c I couldn't get anything pumping, so I'm not really sure what the heck I'm doing. I'm hoping I am able to get milk this time. He is doing really well breastfeeding and gaining weight, so I know I my supply is good. Thanks for your help.

Re: Pumping?

• Options
    Check out www.kellymom.com. Lots of good BFing info there. If you are pumping just for a bottle here and there or to have a small stash when you return to work - just pump once a day. Most LCs suggest first thing in the morning when your supply should be most robust. I would BF on one side and pump on the other side. BM can be stored in bottles or plastic storage bags (Lansinoh bags are the best). Freshly pumped BM is good in the fridge for up to 8 days. Good in the freezer for 3 months (standard fridge/freezer with separate doors). There is some variabilitin this because some mamas milk spoils more quickly. Once frozen BM is moved back to the fridge or thawed it is good for only 24 hours. Hope that helps :)
    BFP#1 May 17, 2008
    Surgery for ectopic pregnancy June 3, 2008
    BFP #2 September 25, 2008
    Baby boy born June 4, 2009 at 40 weeks
    8 pounds 13 ounces and 23 inches
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BFP #3 February 6, 2011
    First U/S February 25, 2011 = TWINS!!!
    Boy/girl twins born October 4, 2011
  • Options
    Forgot to answer how long. Initially I had insane oversupply, so I would pump for 5 minutes on one side and get 5 ounces. Most women pump 10-20 minutes.
    BFP#1 May 17, 2008
    Surgery for ectopic pregnancy June 3, 2008
    BFP #2 September 25, 2008
    Baby boy born June 4, 2009 at 40 weeks
    8 pounds 13 ounces and 23 inches
    BFP #3 February 6, 2011
    First U/S February 25, 2011 = TWINS!!!
    Boy/girl twins born October 4, 2011
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thanks so much for answering...you've helped a ton. OMG you have ALOT...I had to pump once during week one b/c he wouldn't eat and I only got an ounce on one side and not even 1/2 on the other...maybe when I start at week 4, I will get more....
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"