1st Trimester

When is it generally safe to tell?

12 or 13 weeks? What is the general guideline here as far as being medically safe to start telling people? Thanksgiving will be 12 weeks for us but not sure if that is still soon and we should wait another week. Thanks

Re: When is it generally safe to tell?

• We waited to tell (other than immediate family) until when we heard the HB. The risk drops dramatically at that point.
  • imageIrishBrideND:
    We waited to tell (other than immediate family) until when we heard the HB. The risk drops dramatically at that point.

When did you heard the HB? At what week? Thx 

• Loading the player...
  • People have their own reasons for waiting. I couldn't hold it in with DD or this LO. We told at 7 weeks. As the pp said, most ppl wait until they hear the HB.
  • We're waiting til Thanksgiving, which will be a couple days shy of 12 weeks.  I figured it's worth it to tell in person even if we're not exactly 12 weeks (which is arbitrary, anyway).  The risk of miscarriage goes down dramatically after 12 weeks, but once you hear the heartbeat, it's down to like 2% anyway.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageccdcny:

imageIrishBrideND:
    We waited to tell (other than immediate family) until when we heard the HB. The risk drops dramatically at that point.

When did you heard the HB? At what week? Thx 

12 weeks. But you can hear it as early as 10. Our appointment just happened to be at 12 weeks.

• I don't have an answer for when to tell but we heard the HB at our last appt. and we were 10weeks exactly. We were able to see the heartbeat at 6 weeks 1 day. Good luck!
  • we have told some people, but will tell more after our first u/s when we see and hear a hb.

we heard a hb with ds at 6w2d through the u/s machine, but with a doppler at 10 wks. We like to see the hb and then feel better about telling.

• We heard and saw the heartbeat at 7w2d. Only my close family and a few friends know at this point. We are waiting until Thanksgiving to tell his family & everyone else.

I originally wanted to wait until 12w, but I'll bypass that by Thanksgiving.

• When we heard the heartbeats at 7 weeks I pretty much told everyone! I couldn't keep it in!
  • We are waiting until Christmas, but from the posts I see here of 2nd time mommy tummies, I dunno! 
    Love: 8/2000 | Marriage: 7/2005 | Baby makes three: 3/28/2007 | And one more makes...SIX?
    Steal my kids picture or pretend they are yours, I will find where you live and ship all of their dirty diapers to your doorstep. Promise. image
  • We haven't heard the heartbeat yet. My first appt is Nov 17 at 8-9 weeks and they are just doing family history and bloodwork. We won't get an ultrasounds until 12 weeks (Dec. 11). Nonetheless, I've told 4 people at work for safety concerns. I am a microbiologist so I work with bacteria and pathogens every day and wanted my coworker to know we need to be extra careful in the lab. I'm telling my parents tomorrow. (SO EXCITED). We will tell my DH's parents and both of our siblings at Thanksgiving and then everyone else at Christmas.
  • It's a personal choice.  I told a few close friends right away and we told our parents at 7 weeks.  I did have to tell my boss/coworkers due to my extreme morning sickness that I was unable to hide. Ick! I have not told the rest of my friends and family members yet.  I will TRY to hold off until about week 12.

I did not get an u/s nor did I get to try to hear the heartbeat at my 1st appt.  The doc felt it was too early and my symptoms and bloodwork were sufficient to confirm the pregnacy. Hopefully I will be able to at least hear the HB at my 11 week appt!  I don't think my doc does and U/S until much farther along unless a problem is suspected.

• I am waiting til at least 14 weeks to tell our families (except my mom/stepdad know), work & rest of my friends.  I already told best girlfriends.  We have seen & heard HB, but I just want to wait til my next appt to hear it again.

DD1 born 5/24/10.

Missed M/C at 14 wks Feb 2012.

DD2 born 5/14/13.

Missed M/C at 9 wks July 2015.

Expecting someone new 4/17/17.
  • I started telling everyone after our 12 week appt. I figured that was more telling than waiting until 13w3d. :) We told our close family before then
  • We heard the HB at 7 w.  We told close family at that point, but still wanted to wait to tell friends.  We had another appt. at 11 w, and heard the HB again on doppler.  At that point, the dr. said that since we saw the HB on u/s and heard it on doppler that we were in the clear.  That is when we made the announcement to others.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"