Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Breastmilk storage ?

I heard you shouldn't freeze breastmilk after it has been refrigerated. Is this true? Why?  -thanks

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker image

Re: Breastmilk storage ?

• I do this all the time - sometime it takes me more than one pumping session to get enough milk to freeze (I always like to freeze in 4 oz bags) ... my guideline that came with my breast pump says it's ok to freeze after 3 days in the fridge (but I've definitly heard variations on this).  It's also good to chill your milk in the fridge before freezing it.
  • Nah, I've never heard that. I usually put it in the fridge and if we haven't used it within 5 days, I put it in the freezer. Once its been thawed from the freezer though, it does have to be used within 24 hours.
    imageimage
    Matilda 6/19/09
    Graham 10/25/13
  • Loading the player...
  • I have not heard this. But dido the previous post.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thats what I thought! I'm stickin' with these rules, or else I have a freezer full of bad breastmilk!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker image
  • imageLesley0228:
    Nah, I've never heard that. I usually put it in the fridge and if we haven't used it within 5 days, I put it in the freezer. Once its been thawed from the freezer though, it does have to be used within 24 hours.

This.

It isn't supposed to be put back in the freezer if it has already been frozen and thawed though.

• imageKellyinpink:
    Thats what?I thought! I'm?stickin' with these rules, or else I have a freezer?full of bad breastmilk!

I think this came out of what I posted last night. ?I was confused as well with that persons comments. I am glad you posted this and cleared everything up.

?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • i've heard that refrigerated milk is only good for 24 hours...but frozen breastmilk is good for 6 months...i've also heard that you can't defrost, refrigerate and then re-freeze
    imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageVisit The Nest!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"