Miscarriage/Pregnancy Loss

Sort of s/o: Dumb "truths" about pregnancy

people on trimester boards repeat and that make you angry. For me:

"Once you see the heartbeat, you are safe." Oh really? I saw the heartbeat three times with my first loss, and once with this loss.

"After 12 weeks, you are in the clear." I thought that was true as well. Lost my first baby at 12 weeks, 2 days.

"Brown spotting is okay, you don't need to call your doctor." I know many women on TTCAL and here who have a strong reality check for anyone who says this.

"They can't tell you anything for sure from the NT scan anyway." Such crap. My tech could tell in the first minute of our NT scan that something was horribly wrong with our baby.

How about you? It helps sometimes to just get them out.

Re: Sort of s/o: Dumb "truths" about pregnancy

• "I stopped exercising as soon as I got my BFP b/c I don't want to have a miscarriage."

?This is not so much from the tri boards (though, really, the massive idiocy on first tri is mind-boggling), but the idea that a miscarriage happens all in one fell swoop, and then it's over and done. Not for me - mine are weeks of bleeding, with one or two days of bad cramping and clots.

• I hate the heart beat myth.  I saw the HB with my first 3 MC and there was no indication that anything was wrong. Ist MC was "Missed" Baby  measured about 7 w and I should have been 11w.  Then next two were dicovered at US that were done early due to the previous loss(es).  The last was a BO.  I also hate the brown spotting myth.  I know people who blerd red for most of their pregnancy and the baby was fine.  When I spotted with my 1st MC, it was all brown until they did poking and prodding at an US tryignto find a HB that wasn't there.
    dd(Brianna) 11/01/94, ds(Bram)10/17/95, ds(Jesse)9/26/97, dd (Annie Ruth) 7/27/05 5mc Jan '08, May '08, Feb '09, Sept '09, Apr '11 "And can it be that in a world so full and busy, the loss of one weak creature makes a void in any heart, so wide and deep that nothing but the width and depth of vast eternity can fill it up." - Charles Dickens

PAL/PGAL Welcome

• Loading the player...
  • Lifting heavy things or stress causes miscarriage. If people would be a little up to speed on how m/c happen and why, they would know that these two things don't inadvertently cause a m/c.
  • Yeah, especially the lifting heavy things. Amazing mankind has survived millions of years. Cavewomen didn't exactly have elevators and forklifts.
  • I had brown spotting, that is what made me go to the ER! I agree they post some dumb things as well as some of them are really mean to one another!
  • If you have pregnancy symptoms, everything is fine.

I've known for almost two weeks that the baby is gone, but I still have all of the same symptoms. I think thats the hardest part right now. I've also known people that had no symptoms at all and their children are very healthy.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Babywearing, cloth diapering, formula and breastmilk feeding, still can't believe I'm a mom, momma to my little man, two furbabies, and two angel babies.
  • And the "OMG OMG OMG I just ate over-easy eggs/raw cookie dough/a bite of brie" freakouts. I assure you, oh blissfully ignorant ones, none of my miscarriages were caused by runny egg yolks or soft cheese. Not to mention, if you shop in groceries stores in the United States of America, everything is pasteurized to within an inch of its life anyway.
  • ha I love the 12 weeks one...especially since we lost Bryanna at 20 weeks due to an infection....ugh
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imageGinaincali:
    ha I love the 12 weeks one...especially since we lost Bryanna at 20 weeks due to an infection....ugh

Not that any m/c is not sad, but people's late losses make me extra sad. I cannot even imagine.?

• "If you spot after sex, that is normal"

Um, no.  That is how we found out we were m/c.  Horrific.

And the HB one drives me absolutely batty.  I think the one thing that every pregnant woman should know is that nothing is written in stone until that baby is in your arms, and although that might not be the most happy or exciting info for someone who is pg, sometimes information hurts. 

BFP 8/18/09 cycle #7
    Missed m/c 9/16/09 (7w6d, baby measuring 6w1d)
    D&E 9/25/09 at 9w1d
    BFP 11/25/09 1st cycle after D&E
    DS born @36w2d

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    ~~~Labor Buddy to And Ketch~~~ BFPB to LoveBeingAWife33008

• imageMizz&Shizz:

I think the one thing that every pregnant woman should know is that nothing is written in stone until that baby is in your arms  

Yes

• imageGinaincali:
    ha I love the 12 weeks one...especially since we lost Bryanna at 20 weeks due to an infection....ugh

yes, that one burns me up.  Burns. me. up.  I was a couple days from finding out the sex.  Everything was "supposed" to be fine.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"