Adoption

I'm giving Bethany Christian Services the side eye...

We went to the informational meeting last Feb, but I have a few more questions for them.  I really wanted to have a meeting in person to get a better feel for them.  I called earlier this week and they said they don't do face-to-face meeings, but we could set up a conference call "if that would make us feel better".  Seriously?  I thought it was standard to meet with an agency. 

I went ahead and scheduled the call.  Am I overreacting?  I'm take suggestions for questions because I'm blanking now that I'm trying to write them down. 

Re: I'm giving Bethany Christian Services the side eye...

• I would go with your gut.  You don't want to have any doubts about your agency.  If something is causing you to give them the side eye, then don't ignore that feeling.  I would still do the call though.  I think it is very helpful to talk to many agencies, so that you'll know when you find "the one".

As a side note, I had a similar feeling after calling my local Bethany office.  I was very turned off by something the lady said to me.  However, there is another nestie on this board who is using that same office and loves them.  The important thing is that you find an agency that makes you and DH feel completely comfortable.  You'll know it when you do. Good luck!

P.S.  did you decide to switch to DA?

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • We also considered them. But something that the case worker said to me on the phone just "rubbed" me the wrong way. But I know that each agency probably has good and bad case workers. I have several friends that I have used them and are quite happy with them. Bu tlike the PP said, 'go with your gut.' But I also would still take the conference call.

• Loading the player...
  • Ditto PP on going with your gut.  I would probably still do the conference call just for information sake though.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • I think it is weird.
    Married on 3.20.2004. It took 30 month, 2 failed adoptions and IVF for our first miracle. We have had 9 foster kids since he was born and started the domestic adoption process when he was 10 month old, we had 4 failed matches in that time. After our daughter was born we brought her home and spent 2 weeks fearing we might lose her because of complications that came up. But Praise God all went through and she is ours forever! Expecting again after IVF Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers image
  • I have a few friends who have used them and LOVED them.  We are planning on adopting our 3rd child through them but like the pp said if you have a bad feeling don't do it.  You need to feel 100% comfortable using them.  This post really is the first bad I've heard about them.  =(  I hope it works out for you, let us konw how the phone call goes! 

"I have four children. Two are adopted. I forget which two. -Bob Constantine

"All for Love,' a Saviour prayed 'Abba Father have Your way. Though they know not what they do...Let the Cross draw men to You...."

• Take the call and go with your gut.
  • well..when DO they do face to face meetings?  
  • We are using them. We haven't met with them yet but are supposed to soon. They are processing our formal application now and I think as soon as it's approved, then we will meet with our CW. The biggest complaint I have so far, is that our CW seems to be VERY slow! Good Luck to you! I agree with the pp about going with your gut. 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • That's really weird. I volunteer at BCS located in my city and they are always willing to meet with or talk on the phone with potential adoptive families. Perhaps the office closest to you is just not as good. DH and I although we are having children naturally, we have a really strong calling to adoption and orphans, so for now I volunteer at BCS, and in the future we plan to foster and adopt some of the older children we care for and give them a home. I'm sorry your experience with them hasn't been so good. If they have another office near you maybe give them a call?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"