Multiples
Options

Do multiples drop?

Might seem like a dumb question, but can just one baby drop, do both at the same time, do neither generally (if it makes a difference A is breech, literally sitting on my cervix).  When I was in the shower last night, I looked lower in the mirror, and I can't see my belly button when I stand anymore.  Hopefully dropping doesn't make the cervix thin or dilate (so far I'm closed, but only at 2cm long).

Re: Do multiples drop?

• Options

Not a stupid question... I've wondered the same thing. All the ladies in my office have commented within the past week that my belly is definietly lower. But I really didn't think multiples dropped, so maybe it's their imagination?

• Options
    DD#1 definitely dropped around 37 weeks and was born at 38 weeks, 1 day.  I felt it, I felt the return of my breathing capacity- I felt like a million bucks.  My twins, I never really felt any discomfort (aside from the ligaments in my belly screaming "UNCLE!" )  so couldn't feel the relief from the discomfort!  I personally don't think they dropped and I delivered them at 39 weeks 1 day.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I don't mean to worry you, but I would definitely pay attention to this. My perinatologist discovered I was dilated 2 cm and effaced about 90% at my normal 26 week appointment. I had no idea I was in preterm labor--I felt nothing out of the ordinary, and certainly no contractions.

However, a few days before that I remember looking in the mirror and noticing my belly had "dropped" much lower. I could see the difference, it was very noticeable. But I didn't think anything about it.

Now I wonder if the lower belly was a sign of my baby A moving low down into the pelvis, where his head is pushing on the cervix, opening it silently. That's where he's been since 26 weeks, his head engaged very near the birth canal.

I really recommend you call your doc about this as soon as possible! I'm sure it's nothing, but it never hurts to check. Worst case scenario, they could put you on bed rest--that's what I've been doing for two months now, and the babies are just days away from being full term!

I hope that helps. Best of luck.

• Options
    imageMommyEB:

I don't mean to worry you, but I would definitely pay attention to this. My perinatologist discovered I was dilated 2 cm and effaced about 90% at my normal 26 week appointment. I had no idea I was in preterm labor--I felt nothing out of the ordinary, and certainly no contractions.

However, a few days before that I remember looking in the mirror and noticing my belly had "dropped" much lower. I could see the difference, it was very noticeable. But I didn't think anything about it.

Now I wonder if the lower belly was a sign of my baby A moving low down into the pelvis, where his head is pushing on the cervix, opening it silently. That's where he's been since 26 weeks, his head engaged very near the birth canal.

I really recommend you call your doc about this as soon as possible! I'm sure it's nothing, but it never hurts to check. Worst case scenario, they could put you on bed rest--that's what I've been doing for two months now, and the babies are just days away from being full term!

I hope that helps. Best of luck.

Luckily I have an appt tomorrow and figured I'd mention it then.  My OB's been doing internals weekly, and doing trans-vag u/s at least every 3w (sometimes more).  

• Options
    I just wanted to say thank you for asking, because I was wondering the same thing. ?And if we do drop with multiples, when is that?
  • Options
    I am pretty sure I dropped because after 30 weeks I could breathe a whole lot easier, and could eat more than before. I was pregnant like that for 7 more weeks, and never diatlated. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"