High-Risk Pregnancy

Does having GD cause you

to have the baby earlier and will it most likely be c section? 

My numbers have been great.  Once or twice they were 131 instead of the 120 but they have been great other wise.

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Me:  37   DH:  39   DS:  4
TTC #2 - Experienced Miscarraige on 3/5/13, DnC on 3/11/13

Re: Does having GD cause you

• I'm kinda wondering the same thing.....last two times I have asked my Dr. about having the baby early he said there is no reason why I wont go all the way to the due date!! 

I too have had a few numbers above 120.  I had 144 last night which I thought was way off but I'm thinking that normal diabetes range is 140 and below 2 hours after meals???

• I had GD and was told I could go until 41 weeks naturally. I ended up being induced for an extended water break @ 37.5 weeks.

Socializing foster puppies since 2009
    image image
    Chart for TTC#2
  • Loading the player...
  • no it doesn't, depends on the woman, the doctor, and how the rest of the pregnancy has gone. I have GD (diet controlled), and am planning a home birth. Both my home birth midwife AND the OB at the hospital have ok'd me to proceed as planned :)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I'm on a very strict diet and take insulin 3x a day.  At 31 weeks, the baby was already 5lbs 3oz.  He's on pace to be 9.5 lbs if he goes full-term.  My doctor is planning on inducing me 2 weeks early. 
  • It's really a case by case thing. I have diabetes & was induced at 37w 5d for pre-e as well as the diabetes. With diabetes of any kind there is the chance that the placenta will start to break down & not supply nutrients to the baby after 40 weeks.

I will tell you that even though I was induced twice, because the 1st induction didn't take & I didn't feel a c-section was necesary since me & baby where doing fine, I delivered vaginaly with no epi. So it is posible to avoid a c-section if you can.

Just because you have GD doesn't mean you will go early or have to have a c-section.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • I have GD and they are talking about taking me early for either of the following two reasons. The growth u/s which I know can be wrong shows him measuring more then 4500grams (9lbs 15oz) then she said it will be a c-section no chance of vaginal. Now even if he isn't measuring that amount with all the insulin I'm taking now they are thinking taking him might be better for him and me in the long run. And the fact that my fasting number STILL isn't under control with diet and NPH and metformin at night. (I have always taken metformin pcos)

I'm hoping to avoid the c-section but really think I agree with my doctors if they all consult eachother and now are saying with that insulin it might be best to take him next week (end of week) as long as my amnio comes back ok.

TTC #3 since June 2011. Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • imageMegGary:

Just because you have GD doesn't mean you will go early or have to have a c-section.

That's?exactly?what my ob told me.?

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I have diet controlled GD and my peri still insists upon inducing a week early from the due date. He says that it's just to be on the safe side in case the placenta starts breaking down or the u/s measurements aren't 100% accurate.
  • My OB just told me that they most likely won't let me go past my due date.
  • We are having an elective c section and he doesn't want to do it until 39 weeks. He said breathing issues with GD babies before 39 weeks can be dangerous. At 34 weeks baby is measuring 5.5 pounds and experienced some unexplained bleeding but biophysical profile was good.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"