Eco-Friendly Family

Un-Petroleum Jelly - CD safe? Circ questions...

So... I bought a tube of Un-Petroleum jelly to use on ds after his circ... the OB ended up using a plasti-bell to do the circ instead of an actual cutting of the skin, so this ring just falls off after 5-10 days, kind of like a belly button, I guess.

Well, we're about 7 days out and it's starting to come off.  The pedi said to put some vaseline on the areas where it's red (looks very irriated), so I have been.  But I've kept him in sposies (after being in CD for several days), since I was unsure about the un-petroleum jelly being safe with CD.  Also, dh thinks the sposies create more of a "pocket" of air around his penis so that it's not being rubbed on as much as it would be in a CD.  But... ds has been a little pooping machine today and even though I change him instantly, he is still getting a little start of a diaper rash right underneath his scrotum.  It looks really sore!  And I hate putting sposies on him!!!

What do you guys think?  Okay to use the unpetroleum jelly?  Anyone else have experience with a plasti-bell and have any tips?

Thanks!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageimage

Re: Un-Petroleum Jelly - CD safe? Circ questions...

• You could always put a liner, or even just a baby washcloth, between him and the cloth diaper to protect it from the vaseline stuff. We didn't put DS in his CDs until after his circ healed, but we had planned to use baby washcloths as liners before we realized the hospital was going to send us home with a million sposies. 

DS had the traditional circ, so no help with the plasti-bell, sorry. Good luck! 

Contemplating the snow.
    Mes Petit Choux
    imageimageimage
    I can't go back to yesterday - because I was a different person then. ~ Alice

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I would definitely use a liner until I knew if the un-petroleum jelly would leave a residue on the CDs.  We have felt liners from abbyslane, but I like the idea of a baby washcloth.  Really just anything that will create a cloth barrier between the jelly and the diaper.  A square from a cut up t-shirt perhaps would even work.  Our DS had a traditional circ also.  Never seen the bell before.  Very interesting!  I wonder if it's less painful for the babies?  Do you know why they use that versus the regular snip method?  GL! Hope the LO heals up soon.

TTC #1 May 2007
    M/C January 2008
    DS February 16th, 2009

TTC #2 July 2010
    Diagnosed MFI
    IUI#1 w/ bravelle 5/12/11 -- 0% morph on day of IUI, but somehow BFP:
    Beta #1 38 at 12dpiui, Beta #2 85 at 14dpiui Beta #3 1100 at 19dpiui
    DD born December 28, 2011 at 34w6d

Baby #3 due June 14, 2015

• Loading the player...
  • We haven't had any issues with the unpetroleum jelly and our cloth diapers and we use it occasionally as a barrier. 
    image Ethan 12.31.07 Lillian 4.1.11
  • we didn't CD until a bit later, but DS had the plastibell procedure, and there was one awkward day where it was off except for one tiny section that was hanging on. DON'T pull it off though - that could mess it up.

ditto PPs suggestions to just use a liner of some sort with the cream. cut up an old tee shirt, flannel, fleece scraps, whatever you have on hand that is soft and won't repel moisture.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Thanks for the thoughts ladies...

The plasti-bell, they said, can be much more accurate and cause less scar tissue (less traumatic overall).  Apparantly my OB is the only doctor at our large hospital that uses the plasti-bell, but she is known for being an amazing surgeon (ladies love to have her doing their c-sections) because she is very meticulous.  

Anyway, the pedi seemed very happy with the fact it was used... so that's all I know.  It's a little bit terrible to watch it start to fall off... but kind of nice knowing they didn't snip snip his little boy parts too... 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"