Parenting after a Loss

How many bottle do I need if I'm going to breast feed

Back Jack is still being feed with the fedding tube but, hopefully in another 2 weeks we can start to try and breast feed and i'm wondering how many bottle do i actual need.  I have been getting a lot of the Dr. Brown's as gifts and i have my shower tomorrow.  Right now i have around 16 bottle do i need more or less.  I plan on trying to exclusively breast feed for now but, as i'm learning with this little one none of my plans ever go as planed.  
10/17/2009 - Our Miracle came 10 weeks early. IF,2 MC and 1 Preemie we have our miracle.. Baby Hope 10 weeks 5days was taken from us on Dec 18, 2007. Forever with us and Forever missed. Triplets Lost baby A @ weeks, Lost Baby B at 6 weeks and lost baby Abigail at 14 weeks when she was born to little for this life..... Forever with us ....

Re: How many bottle do I need if I'm going to breast feed

• I think 16 is more than enough to start. I EBF but at night DH gives bottles that I pump, I usually keep about 6 freshly pumped BM bottles in the fridge and rotate them out. The most I have ever had being used at one time is 9. I do keep one of the 8 oz availiable at all times to pump into then pour into the bags since the bags are not accurate on the amt, they usually read 1 oz more than I really pumped. It sounds like you have plenty for now, but if Jack needs to bottle feed you can always get more later.
  • I have 3! Seriously! DS takes 3-4 bottles while I'm at work. DH and the nanny just wash them if they need a clean one. If we did daycare we would need more (maybe 6). But I hand wash pump parts every night, so I fo bottles at the same time.
    BFP#1 May 17, 2008
    Surgery for ectopic pregnancy June 3, 2008
    BFP #2 September 25, 2008
    Baby boy born June 4, 2009 at 40 weeks
    8 pounds 13 ounces and 23 inches
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BFP #3 February 6, 2011
    First U/S February 25, 2011 = TWINS!!!
    Boy/girl twins born October 4, 2011
  • Loading the player...
  • imagelkstor:
    I have 3! Seriously! DS takes 3-4 bottles while I'm at work. DH and the nanny just wash them if they need a clean one. If we did daycare we would need more (maybe 6). But I hand wash pump parts every night, so I fo bottles at the same time.
    . I should clarify that I never store BM in bottles. I put it straight into bags. Much easier to warm or defrost in bags. But again, most daycares will want it already in bottles.
    BFP#1 May 17, 2008
    Surgery for ectopic pregnancy June 3, 2008
    BFP #2 September 25, 2008
    Baby boy born June 4, 2009 at 40 weeks
    8 pounds 13 ounces and 23 inches
    BFP #3 February 6, 2011
    First U/S February 25, 2011 = TWINS!!!
    Boy/girl twins born October 4, 2011
  • I think that what you have sounds like enough. I stocked up on bottles too and Karsyn has maybe taken one a couple of times! Seriously I wish that I wouldn't have bought so many!
    image DD Kara Ashton 11/16/01 SD Karlee Nicole 11/04/00 DD Karsyn Joy 5/15/09 DS Connor Mack 2/25/11 DD Kaitlyn Mae 12/14/12 2 angels 6/2/08 and 6/9/10 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Daisypath Anniversary Years Ticker
  • I EBF too.  We have 6 Dr. B bottles and she eats from and lots of small bottles that I pump into. Even when I was working full-time, the max number of bottles she had when I was at work was 3.

Don't spend all your money on big bottles if you are going to mostly bf and pump.  You can buy the cheapie gerber ones and use those for pumping storing in your fridge.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I also EBF... Owen gets one bottle at night from DH, and he will get bottles when I am working.

We only have 3 of our favorites (Born Free). We have a few other brands as back up. I definitely think you have much more then enough! I recommend getting different brands until you know what he likes. We tried 3 or 4 types before settling with one.

I store in drop ins liners that you can pump right into with an attachment.... or in storage bags. Then if they don't get used I can pop them into the freezer. Plus they take WAY WAY WAY less time to warm up then when I store in bottles. 

ETA: I do have 6 medela bottles that I use to pump into, but don't feed from :) 

• Aidan goes to daycare, and he brings 3 bottles every day, except on Mondays when he brings 4 (one is an extra - they hold the freshest one overnight, and on Fridays we take it home).  So, we need 16 bottles to get through a week of daycare without having to do dishes.  I also have 6 small medela bottles for pumping at work.

The number of bottles you need will depend on your daycare situation, pumping situation, and on how often you want to have to do the dishes.

• I give breastmilk bottles for daycare all day and I've still been fine with 12.  Just make sure you have enough of the 8 oz, they take more than 4 oz pretty quickly.  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"