Indiana Babies
Options

::sigh:: Flu. (NBR) RNs/medical people come in please.

DH is still sick.  Since Wed morning.  No decline in condition, but no real improvement either.  Fever (101-101.5), body aches, headache, fatigue.  No coughing, sore throat, or anything respiratory.

When he takes vicodin it helps -- it's the only thing that has done a number on his headache.  But then 4-5 hours later it's back.

I called the Marion Co. flu hotline earlier to see if they have seen cases of flu presenting with the pain and fever but not the respiratory stuff.  They said they have.  

We just don't know what to do.  I could take him to the ER, but I feel like that's where REALLY sick peope should go -- people with other underlying conditions that make the flu really dangerous for them.  (Right?)  Not an otherwise healthy 29-year-old with only head & body aches and a fever.

But how long do I just let him suffer?  It sucks not being able to do anything.

TIA.  I'm sort of just b!tching, because he's feeling so crappy and I feel awful that I can't help him.

#PerfectStrangers

2012 Races:
1/28 - Planet Adventure night trail 1/4-marathon - 1:25:47
3/24 - Sam Costa half marathon - 2:02:47
4/14 - Hoosier 10 miler - 1:25:21 (8:32) PR!
7/8 - XTERRA Freedom Fest Hawaii 10K
9/1 - Indianapolis Women's Half Marathon
10/20 - Indianapolis Marathon Relay
11/4 - Monumental Marathon (full marathon #2)
11/22 - Drumstick Dash 4.5mi

Re: ::sigh:: Flu. (NBR) RNs/medical people come in please.

• Options
    I had this flu thing bad for 3-4 days and now it's just respiratory.  It's been 2 weeks since it started and sucks big time.  Could he get in at a med-check type place?  That's not as emergency as the ER but more emergency than waiting for a Dr appt.  The only reason I would say to do that is because from what I've heard, it's the babies and people in their 20s that are getting the worst part of this flu.  For some reason it's more dangerous to them.  GL!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Definitely kind of a rock and a hard place situation. Keep in mind my perspective is skewed from hearing the stories about the worst of the worst from my ER and ICU friends.

It might be worth going in to get checked out only because they might decide to put him on Tamiflu or one of the other antivirals, since he's not too far past the 48 hour window.

They could also do a rapid flu swab to see if it is influenza or something else going on. Fever and headache with absence of respiratory symptoms always makes me think meningitis, and if it's a viral meningitis he would not appear as ill as someone with a bacterial meningitis. Is he having any photosensitivity?

They could also shoot a chest xray to make sure his lungs are ok even though he's not having any respiratory symptoms, plus the usual blood work.

• Loading the player...
  • Options

Tricia, I'm a worrywart, so when you say the "m" word I seriously almost have a panic attack.  ;)  He has body aches too, so would that rule it out?  And as for photosensitivity, no not really, other than obviously with any sort of headache, it's better if you're not in bright lights.

If we did go somewhere, is the ER the place to go?  Or a Prompt Care?  He did say that he would maybe want to go somewhere tomorrow if he's not better, but now I'm wondering if I shouldn't drag him somewhere tonight.

The nurse on the hotline told me there were flu cases presenting without respiratory symptoms... and last year when I had the flu, it was like this -- just aches and fatigue, no coughing, sneezing, etc.

It IS a rock and a hard place.  If it's "just flu," there's not much doctors can do for him... and logically, I don't know what else it could be.

Ok he just threw up.  Maybe from taking his second vicodin of the day without eating a whole lot... maybe because it's listed as a possible flu symptom... but still.  NOW should I drag him to an ER?

#PerfectStrangers

2012 Races:
  • Options

Oh...and it's the headache responding to opiates only that is sort of the "red flag" for me, although there's just no good way to know without testing.

Major drawback of going in somewhere, whether ER or urgent care, is that you'll have to wait around half the night and get exposed to all the other nastiness in there. =p

• Options

I don't know if body aches would completely rule it out, although it's more common with flu as far as I've ever known.

Thinking of viral meningitis would pretty much dictate you go to the ER vs. prompt care, although my paranoid mind might be the only one thinking that, and maybe whoever saw him in the ER would not. The big reason it's on my mind is the headache being so bad that nothing but Vicodin helps (plus fever.)

Pretty much what really gets the influenza patients is the respiratory stuff, because it turns into a nasty difficult-to-treat pneumonia and problems with oxygenation, so at least that isn't going on at the moment.

Vomiting can be seen with either diagnosis, or with Vicodin like you said.

Damn all the gray area.

• Options

I would take him in, if only because the throwing up with the headache makes me nervous.  Has he been taking Tamiflu or an antibiotic? If you decide not to do the ER, definitely take him to your family doc, etc tomorrow.  

If you do go into the ER, obviously wear masks both of you, if only to ward off the junk everyone else is spreading, and take your own personal bottle of hand sanitizer. 

The super sick H1N1 patients we've seen at work are being brought down hard by respiratory issues, so thank goodness your DH is doing ok respiratory wise, but like Carmela said, it wouldn't hurt for him to get a chest xray. Plus, it might not hurt for him to get an IV and get alittle hydration if he hasn't been feeling like eating/drinking etc.

Just my .02, good luck!!

• Options

:( I have no advice but I hope he feels better soon and it's nothing serious.

And, we do have some smart ladies on this board!!!

• Options

The first 4 or so days of the flu I had no respiratory symptoms...just horrible body aches, fever for one day, headache, extreme exhaustion, sore throat, and chills.  The cough presented toward the end.

It definitely sounds like the flu to me, especially since this H1N1 is lasting longer than other flus.  

I would call your primary care provider to see if they can call in Tamiflu for him.  It definitely helps.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    TTC #2 since 9/09 --- mild PCOS; Endometriosis
    IUI x4 = BFN
    IVF = sometime in 2012
  • Options

I'm thinking immediate care would be full...DH wanted to go there last week around 5pm...and there was a 3 hour wait, plus they wouldn't all be seen.

I would definitely seek care though...

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    TTC #2 since 9/09 --- mild PCOS; Endometriosis
    IUI x4 = BFN
    IVF = sometime in 2012
  • Options

Thanks, y'all.  We just got home from the ER.

Official diagnosis is H1N1, although they didn't specifically test for it (apparently the "quick test" has a 70% false negative rate), but they assume all flu-like cases they see are H1N1 since it's too early for seasonal flu.

He sucked up two i.v. bags of saline and got some anti-nausea and painkillers.  The doc said a couple more days of misery and then he should feel better.  And, I have peace of mind that it's "just" the flu.

Amazingly the ER wasn't very busy.  I kept my hands in my sweatshirt sleeves and didn't touch anything.  :)  Still feeling ok!

#PerfectStrangers

2012 Races:
  • Options

I just got home from work, but I just wanted to add. I've been seeing your husbands same symptoms at work lately with H1N1 patients. Those symptoms seem to start before the rest of the upper respiratory symptoms start (although usually those are followed closed behind). Not everyone  gets respiratory symptoms though.

We've rarely been testing for the flu for two reasons. 1) the rate for false negatives is very high...70-80% like you mentioned, so there's still a good chance that a patient has it even if the test is negative. 2) it doesn't really change the decision of what the treatment plan is. For a healthy male (in his 20's) without severe illness or past medical history, it isn't recommended to prescribe Tamiflu. You pretty much know if you're going to start Tamiflu just based on symptoms, past medical history/prenancy, and age. Since the rapid influenza test isn't very reliable, you make the decision regardless of what the result would be.
    (Obviously, not testing patients has really made some people upset...but you get the idea of why it's not being done. It sounds like you didn't have a problem with it though.) 
    The fever and feeling miserable seems to be lasting up to 3-4 days in most people, and the rest of the symptoms usually fade within 7-10days.

Anyway, it sounds like you got your questions answered here and at the ER tonight but I just wanted to add. :-)
     Hope he starts feeling better soon!!

• Options
    Glad you got in and were seen!  Hope he feels better soon!
  • Options
    So glad you went into the ER and had him seen! Hope he starts feeling better soon!
  • Options

Thanks guys.  :)

As an aside, the doctor went on a little soapbox about the 24 hour news media and the H1N1 hysteria, and how ridiculous it is.  It's JUST the flu, not a national emergency.  I liked that, since it's what I've been saying all along!

#PerfectStrangers

2012 Races:
  • Options

I'm glad the ER wasn't too busy! We got an email from the powers that be about how flu visits are supposedly on the decline at this point. Judging by where I work when I walk through the ER, it doesn't look that way though. ;)

That's good that he doesn't need Tamiflu - I've been getting a lot of calls from people about the side effects - nausea and vomiting. Fabulous on top of the flu!

If he was pretty dry, I bet that explains some of the severity of his headache, too.

Hopefully he will escape the upper respiratory symptoms and feel better soon.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"