High-Risk Pregnancy

Any teachers with GD?

I was just diagnosed with GD, and met with the diabetes educator and the nutritionist yesterday.  I was wondering how you take your levels when you are in the middle of class?  For example, if I eat breakfast at 8, I will be in the middle of reading class at 10 with my 2nd graders when I would need to take my levels, and my lunch time is 11:30, so at 1:30, I'm in the middle of math....It just doesn't seem feasable to me to have to stop what Im doing, get coverage, and leave the room for a few minutes twice a day ( I don't think it's appropriate to take in a room full of 7 year olds)!  How are you handling it? Thanks!

Re: Any teachers with GD?

• I'm not a teacher but a therapist that does individual and group therapy. It's not really appropriate for me to stop a session and leave the room to test my blood sugar or do it during session. It has been really stressful to try and time my eating around available times to test. I test after 1 hour so it is a bit easier. I wake up 45 minutes earlier than I used to so I can eat breakfast and have time to test before my 40 mile commute. I also try to plan when I finish my meal to coordinate with a break in my schedule. Sometimes it doesn't happen and I can't test after that meal.
  • I'm not a teacher, but I do training sessions as part of my job.  Sometimes i have to test early and sometimes late, or sometimes i adjust when i eat to account for when i know i'll be able to test.  But i've also tested in some very odd places.  I've tested with people in my office without them knowing, and in the middle of the grocery store by hiding it in my monsterous purse.  I find that if i have the lancet loaded already, i can do it pretty discreetly.  Maybe you can hide it in a desk drawer? or behind a stack of books?
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm a teacher and I just do it during class when I need to.  The students have been great and no one really notices.  If I'm 15 minutes early/late, it's not the end of the world.  I can usually get it right at the 2 hour mark though.

I did have to tell my department chair and my VP about it.  I just wanted them to be aware of what was going on and that I needed to have the testing kit with me at certain times.

• I do it during class. ?I will make sure I give some kind of independent activity for the few minutes it takes me. ?I keep it in my lunch box, so I just open it up, do what I gotta do, and then get back to teaching. ?The kids have never asked what I'm doing either.
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Well, my morning # is during my plan bell, so that works out for me. I eat my mid morning snack between co-teach bells, so, that has worked out nicely. I actually have a break in between bells where I can do my after lunch #'s, but forget half of the time, and always remember in the middle of class, so my students have taken to reminding me. I've tested right in front of them on multiple occasions. Granted, I've got 8th graders, which is a lot different than 2nd graders! Would there be a way to take it discretely in the classroom (at your desk, on your lap) where you could have the students work independently on something for a few minutes while you test?
  • I'm a middle school teacher and our schedule is different every day. Some days I'm able to eat my snacks, and test myself at the appropriate times, while some days I have to wait until I have a break to test myself. I just do it when I have a chance even if that means if it's not 1 hour after I eat lunch.
  • I have to test twice during the day with my students. They are now in the habit of reminding me to test. They are fifth graders and know that when the timer goes off that it was a reminder for me. I am not a clock watcher and get really into my lessons and definitely loose track of time. I just go to my desk and test behind a stack of papers so they never actually see me do this. It hasn't ever been an issue. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"