Washington Babies

photography girls

I am becoming more and more interested in doing a more polished jobs with photos of my kids.  I've been able to use an SLR since I was about 13 (my dad's Minolta) ...  I have PSE7 I bought last year... I have not had time to use it and figure it out and make it useful... any fav books?  I know I need to get into a shootcamp soon...  :)    Or those of you who use full on photoshop, where the h*ll did you get it and not blow 1500?  (email me if you dont want to post it or stick a note in my FB)   it seems a lot of folks actually like it better than PSE... is it easier to use?

Also, guidance on lenses?  I have the kit lens (18-55) and a 50mm-200mm...   other favorites or tips on what I should be looking for?

I'd love to be able to get some fabulous photos for some of my clients whose families really dont have any.... 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: photography girls

• oh... I have a Nikon d80 if that matters... and I definitely need some lessons to use the thing to its max...
  • I don't really edit my pictures, but i've heard wonderful things about lightroom from pro and casual photographers.  I think it's around $300.
    Boy 10.6.13
    Labored at freestanding birth center using hypnobirthing techniques
    Delivered via csection
  • Loading the player...
  • I also have a Nikon and bought a 35mm a few months ago which I big pink puffy heart LOVE. I have seen a world of difference in my photography ever since.

As far as Photoshop goes, it has taken me hours and hours to learn what I do (which isn't much in the grand scheme). I went in knowing nothing and self taught using You Tube and online tutorials. I have a couple books, but wouldn't rec them. :) I did take Shoot Camp and think it was def worth the money. GL!

• imageJRS72206:

I also have a Nikon and bought a 35mm a few months ago which I big pink puffy heart LOVE. I have seen a world of difference in my photography ever since.

As far as Photoshop goes, it has taken me hours and hours to learn what I do (which isn't much in the grand scheme). I went in knowing nothing and self taught using You Tube and online tutorials. I have a couple books, but wouldn't rec them. :) I did take Shoot Camp and think it was def worth the money. GL!

This! Oh and I have soooo much to learn about photoshop! There is so much to know!

• Scott Kelby has a line of books that work with photoshop and PSE. The only discounts I've ever seen on Photoshop, Lightroom and PSE are purchasing it on an educational discount. I should warn you though, if you are taking on clients (which is sounds like you are? I couldn't tell?), you cannot use educational licensed programs; you have to buy the full priced versions. But if you are just using it for personal use then it doesn't matter. :)

The educational discounts are significant. I think PS CS4 is about $300 with that education discount as opposed to a little over $700 for the full version. Lightroom is about a $100 add-on from there.

Otherwise, I've heard a lot of people have learned photoshop through You Tube tutorials, classes, etc. A lot of people are self-taught as well. 

As for lenses - it's really difficult to recommend anything in particular without knowing what you are doing and why you are doing it. :) A lot of beginners swear by the 50mm f1.8 because it's cheap (~$100) and it can handle low-light really well. With the D80, there are no compatibility issues, so that is good. It's a good multi-functional lens and the start of a good kit. From there, it just depends on what you want and what you are trying to do! :)

• So I guess I need to clarify my question. Are you using pse or full on Photoshop? How much editing are you doing? Perhaps it's that I new enough to pse though I've owned it a while but it's not intuitive. In terms of photos for my clients For those that don't know my clients are kids with autism and I am a behavioral consultant. I just thought it might be fun to bring my camera and get some shots.
  • imageBethS2006:
    So I guess I need to clarify my question. Are you using pse or full on Photoshop? How much editing are you doing? Perhaps it's that I new enough to pse though I've owned it a while but it's not intuitive.In terms of photos for my clients For those that don't know my clients are kids with autism and I am a behavioral consultant. I just thought it might be fun to bring my camera and get some shots.

I work on the full version of photoshop CS4 and lightroom 2 (and will upgrade to lightroom 3 when it's released).

I do a lot of photo editing. :)

Photoshop, nor PSE, are very intuitive programs. If you are struggling with understanding PSE, you'll be VERY frustrated with photoshop as PSE is more intuitive than PS. You do kind of need to know what you are doing in order to make the most out of the programs. Investing in some books and tutorials will really help. Most people who have done the book-learning route have told me that they really like the Scott Kelby lines.

Honestly... if you are just learning and you are just doing simple edits to your pictures, I highly suggest staying with PSE, which you can get at Costco around the holiday's for like $60-$100. PSE gets a bad rap because most people don't realize what a powerful program it really is. Sure it's missing a few things that the full version has, but it has all the 'elements' (hence the name) of photoshop and really can handle quite a bit.  

It's probably a better match, both budget and usability, than the full version for your particular needs. 

• thanks susan thats kind of the info I was looking for...  I think the issue with PSE is that with 15 month old twins and working 20 or so hours a week, there just isnt a lot of time to sit and fool around with it.... 

any thoughts on lenses?  I have the kit one and a 55mm-200mm; I'd like to get 1 or 2 more...   really just major league hobby, but when i take my time I'm pretty darn good.... so i'd like to really do it!!

• I have PSE7 and Photoshop7 (very old!) and work in both. I have basically self taught myself both programs but have a long way to go. 

There is a blog that has plug ins for PSE, they run like actions in photoshop. I don't use them very often, since I have actions that I love in photoshop.

the blog is: www.coffeeteaphotography.blogspot.com

I have used the same 50mm lens for about 7 years (from film to digital). I love the thing and can't stop using it. 

• can I ask what shoot camp is?? I have a nikon dslr40 and am a serious novice...
  • I use PSE and regular, and like them both. I like PSE for quick and easy, basic stuff, and I use it most of the time, for the pics on my etsy site, etc. Regular photoshop just has so much more to it, more specific stuff that can really take a photo to the next level. I have found that the best way to learn is to just play around with it. Also, DH knows everything about it so he has helped me a lot :) 

• imageBethS2006:

thanks susan thats kind of the info I was looking for...  I think the issue with PSE is that with 15 month old twins and working 20 or so hours a week, there just isnt a lot of time to sit and fool around with it.... 

any thoughts on lenses?  I have the kit one and a 55mm-200mm; I'd like to get 1 or 2 more...   really just major league hobby, but when i take my time I'm pretty darn good.... so i'd like to really do it!!

Yeah... I would say that you are just a 'little' busy!  ;)

But two great starter lenses are the 35mm f1.4 and the 50mm f1.8. They are cheap and easy to get.

Sigma and Nikon both make a version of the 35mm, but the Nikon 50mm f1.8 is cheap and great to start out with (~$100). 

Otherwise, the only other lens that I would suggest as an indoor portrait lens is the 24-70mm f2.8 - but that is a $2000+ pro-level lens and I'm thinking that is probably not necessarily what you had in mind!

• You know what... I was thinking tonight... And another lens that is really nice on the D80 is the 17-55 f2.8. The 85mm f1.8 is also a really nice lens, but it is sometimes a little long for inside work. 
  • (side note:  Susan...I didn't know you were having #2!  I'm so behind on the photo board!....congrats!)

I agree....PSE does have a lot of features...I do have CS4 which I got for around $300....I'm also a teacher so I got the educator discount....but most of my editing steps I could do on PSE.

I think the key to taking great photos is really getting to know your camera....I've learned everything I know by online groups and picking the brains of other photographers and asking for constructive crit.

I shoot mainly with my 50mm 1.4 and 28mm 2.8.  Another option a lot of people go for is the Tamron 28-75 2.8...it's around 300...so a good option if you don't have the money for the nicer Nikon version. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"