South Florida Babies

Help me pack!

We're going to Disney next week and it's our first trip away with Abby.  I know the basics to pack (clothes, diaper, wipes-the last two we'll buy when we're up there- bottles, meds, etc...) but is there anything that really helped you on your long drives or away from home that you'd recommend?  A way to keep your 1  year old occupied on a 6 hour drive?  Things for a day at the park?  we're going to be gone from a Saturday to Saturday.  Help!

Re: Help me pack!

• Six hour drive?! Dude, it should be no more than 3.5 hours from you to Orlando. Or did you mean round trip?

For our long trip we borrowed a portable DVD player. Sophie was 16 months at the time. She was so mobile and that was a long drive for her to be locked in.

We stopped at Walmart as we pulled into Orlando for things like milk, yogurt, cold cuts, etc. Our room had a fridge. My BIL has a portable fridge that he takes with him when he goes.

*thinking, thinking* We always make lists because it gets so crazy at the last minute. I like that the park sells milk and stuff so I did not have to worry about bringing any with me. Mickey's Toon Town @ Magic Kingdom sells fresh snacks like fruit and yogurt - which was really cool and unexpected.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I have an Ultimate Disney Packing List I can email you if you want it
  • Loading the player...
  • imageFSUSammy:
    I have an Ultimate Disney Packing List I can email you if you want it

what's your email, sam???

• imageMellyMelB:

Six hour drive?! Dude, it should be no more than 3.5 hours from you to Orlando. Or did you mean round trip?

For our long trip we borrowed a portable DVD player. Sophie was 16 months at the time. She was so mobile and that was a long drive for her to be locked in.

We stopped at Walmart as we pulled into Orlando for things like milk, yogurt, cold cuts, etc. Our room had a fridge. My BIL has a portable fridge that he takes with him when he goes.

*thinking, thinking* We always make lists because it gets so crazy at the last minute. I like that the park sells milk and stuff so I did not have to worry about bringing any with me. Mickey's Toon Town @ Magic Kingdom sells fresh snacks like fruit and yogurt - which was really cool and unexpected.

well, i assumed 6 hours only because it normallyt akes us 4 hours with like 1 stop, but my mom has 13 herniated discs in her back and has to get out of the car like every hour lol 

We're going in separate cars, though.... will abby really sit in a car for 3.5-4 hours nonstop without getting antsy? 

• Email me at fsusammy[at]gmail[dot]com
  • When we've done the trip to Orlando or Tampa - we usually go at night (7 or 8pm) or early morning (5-6am) so the kids sleep the whole/most of the way there with no stops.  The portable DVD player helps, lots of snacks, and new toys.  We're thinking about going to Disney for Thanksgiving (crossing fingers).
  • imagemelly&jimmy:
    When we've done the trip to Orlando or Tampa - we usually go at night (7 or 8pm) or early morning (5-6am) so the kids sleep the whole/most of the way there with no stops.  The portable DVD player helps, lots of snacks, and new toys.  We're thinking about going to Disney for Thanksgiving (crossing fingers).

what sucks is that check in time isn't until 4 pm, and there's no guarantee that we can get into the room earlier :-/

• Jenny - Are you staying at a Disney hotel? The 5 times we've stayed at one in the last year and a half only once was our room not ready by the time we got there. If its not ready and you want to go into a park you can have them hold your bags for you that way you don't have to keep them in your car. We usually leave our bags in our car the day we go home so that we can hit a park for half the day but I drive an SUV and have the cover in the back so no one can see that I have all of our crap in there.

But I agree with melly&jimmy that the best time to go is either at night or early morning. This last time was the first time we drove up at night. We left around 6pm and there was NO traffic at all. Nothing sucks more than trying to drive that two lane turnpike with a bunch of slow pokes.When we go up for Thanksgiving in a few weeks we'll be doing the early evening drive again.

Oh and tip.....go exactly the speed limit in St. Lucie County. Those folks are SERIOUS about ticketing!

• unfortunately, this time we're not staying at the park.  we always do, though!!  my dad has a hilton timeshare and wanted to go to orlando with us, so we're staying there... hey, it's free for us!  lol we dont' have to pay for any lodging which is why we're able to stay for a week :)   I'll just call really early and tell them we'll be in town earlier than check in and find out if any rooms will be available.
  • I always bring toys that charlie has NEVER seen before, *hint* hide some after her party for the trip!  They keep her entertained for the drive, and we always go after Charlie's birthday too, so it helps...
  • Well....the only thing I remember that I forgot with Diego on his first trip was the bottle brush and soap...lol. I washed the bottles with baby soap and my hands and we survived but it would've been nice to have them....lol

I would make a list of the things you use that way you don't forget anything. Last year it was a lot easier since he was almost 2 and the packing  gets easier (at least for me) but soon we will be going to Disney and this time Sofia is even younger than when I took Diego. At least when I took him he was eating table food already.

• imagelove4ever2006:

Well....the only thing I remember that I forgot with Diego on his first trip was the bottle brush and soap...lol. I washed the bottles with baby soap and my hands and we survived but it would've been nice to have them....lol

I would make a list of the things you use that way you don't forget anything. Last year it was a lot easier since he was almost 2 and the packing  gets easier (at least for me) but soon we will be going to Disney and this time Sofia is even younger than when I took Diego. At least when I took him he was eating table food already.

see, i didn't even think of that!!!  thanks!!

• I have no clue what to pack but, how exciting to take your LO to Disney for the first time... Have a great time :D!!!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"