Breastfeeding

RE: EBF sleeping at night

So several of you suggested on the sleeping post to put LO down earlier. We have tried putting him to bed at 5, 6, and 7 (on different nights) but he wakes up 45 min. later hungry, like he has just taken another nap. Tonight he went down a bit after 7 and woke up at 7:45, then nursed for nearly 2 hours. He just went down at 10. I'd love for him to go to sleep earlier; I've read the Healthy Sleep Habits Book and I know sleep begets sleep. Any ideas why LO won't do the early bedtime thing?

Re: RE: EBF sleeping at night

• Have you read the book, 12 hours sleep by 12 weeks? I really found some good information in there. There are still nights we struggle, but our LO used to go to sleep at 9PM until our pedi told us that was too late for him. We started putting him down at 7PM and he was less fussy and would sleep for 6 hours then wake to eat and go right back to sleep until 7AM.

The book gave me a good schedule for him during the day 7AM Wake/Feed/Play, 9AM Sleep, 11AM  Wake/Feed/Play, 1PM Sleep, 3PM Wake/Feed/Play, 7PM Sleep (we are still working on cutting out the 2AM feeding). Each of the feed sessions last 30 minutes and we try to BF as much as we can in that time. I have added solids now to this schedule 1 hour after he wakes and BFs.

Now he is teething and trying to crawl in his sleep so he wakes up about 3 times most nights to eat and then goes back to sleep. I am chalking that up to a phase and hoping to get back to having 2 good 6 hour chunks of sleep again one day...HTH

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I didn't see your other post yet, but DS was like this and it gradually got earlier until we got to about 8:30-9:00 and we tried 7 and that took and then he started getting sleepy around 6 on his own.  Now he goes to bed between 6:30-7:30.  It might just be a matter of time and waiting a week and trying it again, I know that's how it worked for us and made our lives a lot less stressful. 
  • Loading the player...
  • I'll have to check that book out--thanks for the suggestion!
  • Thanks KDS--he has a cold right now so I know his sleep isn't at its best...we'll keep trying the earlier bedtimes.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"