Single Parents

Single Moms..

Are you putting LO's father on the birth certificate?

I have chosen not to. If he wants to fight to be on it, so be it, but I am doing everything possible to keep him out of our lives. I would never do this to anyone without good reason. I'm not going to get into my 'drama' here, but I will just say LO's father was abusive to me. I fear for mine and LO's safety just knowing he is out there, let alone, alone with my LO.

Re: Single Moms..

• I did but he was not abusive. I think each situation is different and if he was abusive like you say yours is, then no, his name would not be on the birth certificate.
  • well - if you want money or anything from him -- he has to be on it.  I would check with this from a lawyer.  I would think you have to....
  • Loading the player...
  • Why don't you just read the answers you were given in the thread you started as FreckleRed where you asked the exact same question???
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagesoxfan:
    well - if you want money or anything from him -- he has to be on it.  I would check with this from a lawyer.  I would think you have to....

I don't want money from him.

• Check the laws in your state, in NY we can't put the name on the certificate unless the father is there to sign and show ID. Unless of course you're married, then your husband is automatically assumed the father.
  • Its the same in CA.  You cannot put the father on eht ebirth certificate unless he is there to sign.  I was married and my stbx is on DD#2's birth certificate.  If the father of your LO is abusive I would start documenting everything for court records.  Unfortunately, unless he is physically abusive towards the child there isnt much you can do in terms of preventing visitation if he gets it court ordered.
  • imagetifanico:

You have to think this one, if he does want to be part of your baby?s life, he can just take you to court , establish paternity and then make YOU pay for all of his court costs. 

Usually 'all the costs' is just the paternity test, because if there is a question of paternity the judge (or usually just a clerk magistrate) will have you do that as a first step.  If a court or lawyer wants paternity established, you may need to make your child available for the swab test, but often once the 'fathers' realize they will have to pay child support, they disappear.  

• imageJocelyn0415:
    Why don't you just read the answers you were given in the thread you started as FreckleRed where you asked the exact same question???

Yes 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • If you are going to keep posting the same question - at least do it under one of your multiple AE's.
  • You say that you don't want to go into your "drama" here and yet you did. Drama seems to be a good word to sum you up.
  • imagetifanico:

imageblondnearby:
    Its the same in CA.  You cannot put the father on eht ebirth certificate unless he is there to sign.  I was married and my stbx is on DD#2's birth certificate.  If the father of your LO is abusive I would start documenting everything for court records.  Unfortunately, unless he is physically abusive towards the child there isnt much you can do in terms of preventing visitation if he gets it court ordered.

This.

If he is not there to sign the birth certificate and the Acknowledgement of paternity he cant be on the BC. 

You have to think this one, if he does want to be part of your baby?s life, he can just take you to court , establish paternity and then make YOU pay for all of his court costs. 

I don't think this is true in every state.  My DH was not in the room when the birth certificate people came to get all my information.  They just asked who the father was and his state of birth.  He didn't have to be there, sign anything or show an ID.  6 weeks later the birth certificate showed up at our house.  I live in NC.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • imageanabell0920:

imageJocelyn0415:
    Why don't you just read the answers you were given in the thread you started as FreckleRed where you asked the exact same question???

Yes 

Double YesYes

Ridley Run 3.1 - 4/9/11 - 34:24 - 1st race evah!
    Kelly Monaghan's 5K - 5/15/11 - 3rd Place in AG
    Walk the Talk 5K - 5/18/11 - 31:12 PR
    Ridley Run 3.1 - 4/14/12 - 1st race of the year, 32:45
  • I'm not sure about that yet. I have mixed feelings about that.  I know I don't want child support from him and I'm not going to go through any courts for paternity or support.  He knows he has a responsibility and I'm not going to force it on him.  But the reason I would want him on the birth certificate is for identity only.  In the event that something should happen to him, God forbid, I then would want our child to have the identity that he was the father.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker -- Anniversary --
  • I'm not putting him on there. 
  • imageDianeN9:

imagesoxfan:
    well - if you want money or anything from him -- he has to be on it.  I would check with this from a lawyer.  I would think you have to....

well if you are getting money from the state they will want money from him

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker LilySlim Weight loss tickers
  • imagekevschickee2:
    imageDianeN9:

imagesoxfan:

well if you are getting money from the state they will want money from him

This. In Missouri you have to put that you do not live with the father and you have to give his name. They will contact him about CS.

• If you are on state assistance in Ohio, you will have to file for child support.  If he is not on the birth certificate, they will issue a paternity hearing.
  • imagemrsh0606:
    If you are going to keep posting the same question - at least do it under one of your multiple AE's.

Yes

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"