Two Under 2
Options

BFing ? - Inadequate supply 1st time

I had supply issues with DS. He was in the NICU for the first five days and I think that that might have helped set up my inadequate supply issues. I tried for a month to BF him, but I was barely producing any milk despite taking a few different herbal supplements, seeing an LC and my dr, power pumping, etc. By the end of the month, I was only able to pump less than 1 oz total from both breasts for the day, and I couldn't really get DS to nurse b/c he would get frustrated with the lack of milk he was getting. I threw in the towel after I got mastitis in both breasts.

My question is, if you had supply issues with the first baby, were you able to successfully BF the second? While DS ended up doing fine on formula, I am really hoping that I will be able to BF this baby and could use some encouraging stories!

Re: BFing ? - Inadequate supply 1st time

• Options
    While I didn't have as much trouble as you did, I also had supply issues with DD.  I am hoping for better luck this time around as well.  Good luck to you as well!!
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    'Til He returns, or calls me home,
    Here in the power of Christ I stand.
  • Options
    i had issues too w/ DD and am hoping things go much better w/ #2.  i imagine in your case, it will be better.  that 1st wk is critical in establishing your supply.  good luck!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I didn't actually have supply issues with DD#1, but I only produced enough for her and just a TINY bit extra for a small freezer stash.

With DD#2 and now with DS, I have a HUGE oversupply. I'm pretty sure that I could nurse twins with no problem..........

I was told by my LC that you produce more milk with each child you have.

GL! 

image Mommy to Barbara 11/8/05, Elisabeth 5/13/07, Loukas 12/23/08 and Lazarus 09/25/12
  • Options
    I struggled with supply with #1.  I did just about everything I could to make enough milk and managed to BF him for 9 months.  I never had any extra for a stash so whenever he needed a bottle, he got formula.  With #2 my supply has been MUCH better.  I still don't have a stash, but part of that is I don't let down well to a pump at all, and I really don't have time to sit attached to a pump with 2 kids to look after.  So, same as with #1, if we need a bottle for #2 he gets formula.  It has been a great relief to not have to worry over my supply this go around.  So, I hope that gives you hope that it can happen.  Good luck!
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    Ummm, I hate to be the debbie downer here but I did have the same issues.  I was never a huge producer but was able to successfully EBF DD for a while before having to supplement at around 6wks before finally weaning at 4 mos.  DS -- well, all was good re latch, etc. but again I had production issues and DS is a HUGE eater (he is already up to 50oz a day).  I simply was wholly unable to keep up with his demand from the start.  So per pedi's instructions, I supplemented and then ended up weaning him after a month.  FWIW, I didn't have any problems with the feeding itself 2nd time around just production per usual.  And if you think the NICU time set up production issues, that could be something you avoid this go round.  GL!!!

DD -- 5YO
    DS -- 3YO

• Options
    imageHarrietNJMommy:

I didn't actually have supply issues with DD#1, but I only produced enough for her and just a TINY bit extra for a small freezer stash.

With DD#2 and now with DS, I have a HUGE oversupply. I'm pretty sure that I could nurse twins with no problem..........

I was told by my LC that you produce more milk with each child you have.

GL! 

my sister was the same, she has 3 kids and with each one her supply grew. OP-I think it sounds like your NICU issue caused the problem of a low supply. I wouldnt stress too much, and just try to get that baby to you as quickly and as often as possible. GL!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"