Special Needs

1st IEP meeting. Question about reports.

Tomorrow I'm having an IEP meeting to figure out what the plan will be for my DD when she turns 3 on Thursday. So she was evaluated by different people and my question is am I supposed to get these reports before the IEP meeting? My one friend told me they should have given me the reports to go over before hand but I'm don't know if that is the norm. The psycologist wasn't done with her report as if yesterday but I was able to puck up the one from the Speech Therapist. Thanks!
imageimage
107 Read/listened to in 2011: 91 Books/16 Audiobooks
Read 2012: 33/50

Re: 1st IEP meeting. Question about reports.

• Sorry for the spelling mistakes. I'm typing this on my iPhone and it won't let me go back and change my post.
    imageimage
    107 Read/listened to in 2011: 91 Books/16 Audiobooks
    Read 2012: 33/50
  • In Ma they are suppose to give you reports before hand. Check the laws for your state. It may even be federal law.
  • Loading the player...
  • Our IEP meeting is tomorrow too, and we did not receive any reports in advance.  I spoke with some people that teach ECE and said to tell them you want 10 minutes to read everything over before the discussion starts.

good luck

imageimage DS1-11/2/2006. DS 2 - 10/29/2010
  • For the meeting where they determine eligibility for services, we did not receive anything in advance, but spent a good part of the meeting talking about the reports.

For the actual IEP meeting (after DS was determined eligible for services) in my state they have to give me the draft goals 2 business days in advance.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I have a 4 year old in a special needs preschool and I taught special education as well.  A lot of the times we would hold 2 meetings back to back when there was an evaluation report that needed to be gone over prior to the IEP.  We would hold the meeting to go over the eligibility then another to go over the IEP.  That's how they did it for my son as well.
  • Wrightslaw is a great resource.  where I live you're supposed to get the reports ahead of time, we didn't get them ahead of time.  Since it was our first IEP we didn't want to go into it as difficult parents. We did, however, go in with a bunch of information about teaching kiddos like my son.  We knew exactly what we wanted for outcomes for DS, and we also kept in our back pocket that we did NOT have to sign anything right there at the meeting if we weren't comfortable.

We chose not to bring DS with us to the IEP, although it's usual/customary for LOs to attend.  We felt that 1) he can sometimes present as more advanced than he is and we didn't want that to cloud decisions and 2) we felt that even if he understands a fraction of what we were daying about his disabilities that's nothing he needed to her.  We took a picture instead.

It's your daughter, you're her best advocate - knock 'em dead - you'll be great!

• You are get them 2 days prior to the meeting, but I found in many districts YOU have to ask for them.  They will not offer them up ahead of time (usually because we are so swamped with typing them we are not done them that far ahead of time.. sucky I know).  So from now on make sure you do ask so that you have them!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"