Cincinnati Babies

Stupid Thyroid

Well, my suspicions have been confirmed.  My thyroid is all wonked out.  Lucky me, thyroid issues run in my family (along with just about every other genetic malady Smile; so, my PCP isn't sure whether my low thyroid levels are tied to post-partum thyroiditis (which typically corrects itself over time) or whether it's merely a coincidence and it's the genetic link (meaning I'll most likely have to take medication to regulate for the rest of my life).  Either way, it's nice to know that (a) I'm not crazy (b) there is a medical reason for the lethargy, moodiness, and [mild] anxiety that I've been experiencing lately and (c) relatively speaking, it's not that bad (d) it's good that I found out now, so that I can start seeing an endocrinologist and regulate before TTC for baby #2.  I also found out that I'm [severely] deficient in both B12 and Vitamin D.  The good news - my cholesterol is in the normal range for the first time in forever. 

Geeeeeeeze - I sound like I'm falling apart!  Is this what 30+ brings?!?  All downhill...LOL!

Anyone else have experience with treatments for hypothyroidism or B12 shots?  If so, what do I have to look forward to? 

Re: Stupid Thyroid

• Yay for having answers!

My dad has been being treated for hypothyroidism for probably about 20 years now.

The positives: totally controllable with meds.

The negatives: your level of meds changes as your body changes.

It seems like he's constantly working with his doc to get the right dosage of meds. I mean, not literally constantly, but over the years it just seems like this was a constant battle. My boss's wife also has thyroid issues, and I know her level of meds changes all the time as well.

• Yes, I know all about hypothyroidism.  I have been on meds since I had my thyroid removed in 97.  I was stable until after DD was born, then all the nasty hypothyroid symptoms kicked in (and kicked my butt).  My meds have been changed three times now, but it is worth it just to be rid of the symptoms.  I also have B12 and vitamin D anemia, and get the B12 shots.  I can definitely feel a difference. I am just now starting to feel great again.  I would be happy to answer any questions you have.  Ask away!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Thanks for the responses, ladies!

Becky - I hate to say that it makes me feel better to know someone else who is dealing with the same symptoms/treatments, because that implies that I'm happy you have to deal with it.  I asked my PCP about a million+1 questions, yesterday, when he called with the results of my CBC.  He wants me to come back for more specified blood-work to pin-point exactly where we go from here.  My biggest question was around meds + TTC, but he was able to speak to that concern.  He didn't seem to think I'd be looking at surgery, which is hopeful; but I guess nothing is out of the question.  So, I guess my only immediate question is how soon can I expect a "lift" from the B12 shot and the thyroid medication, once I start on them?  I'm soooo sick of being tired in the morning!!  Also, and I know that this seems like a trivial question - can I expect for the medication to increase my metabolism and help with any weight loss?  Again, I know I shouldn't *whine* about it; but losing weight has never really been very difficult for me and the scale has barely moved since Jacob was born...and I eat a very healthy/balanced diet.  Uggh - just not looking forward to the thought of medication for the rest of my life...

• I know how rotten a wonky thyroid can make you feel.  It is a good thing to have some answers and a solution to the problem.  Even if you have to take meds forever, it is one pill a day and a blood draw twice a year (more at first until you are regulated).  Synthroid is super cheap, and is one of the $4 drugs at Kroger if you get generic.  It takes 6 weeks for it to build up in your system, and you will most likely need a blood draw again to make sure your levels are normal after taking it.  If not, they go up to the next dose to see if it works better.  It takes a little time, and you will not notice dramatic, overnight differences, but over time the symptoms fade away, your energy comes back, weight loss is easier, and the brain fog lifts. No worries with TTC.  They just watch your hormone levels and adjust your med if necessary.  It is important for the baby's development during pg that mom is making enough hormone for both.  No big deal really.

I just started the B12 shots a month ago.  They are no big deal.  I will be doing my own injections from now on instead of going to the office for them.  My insurance covers it.  Do not believe the crap you will read online.  The shots are not painful at all.  You will not notice any difference after the first one (nobody does), but after the second one things get better.  I have noticed that I don't need that afternoon nap anymore.  I have also noticed that I don't feel jittery and I sleep better at night.  I am just now starting to see easier weight loss, so I am hoping that continues.  Now that I feel good again, I am planning to ramp up my workouts and try to get back in shape. Was not possible a few months ago because I felt like sleeping all the time.  I take a fish oil capsule and also a multivitamin to get extra vitamin D, and try to get some sun for 30 minutes whenever the darn sun shines around here. 

I think that once your symptoms get better, taking a pill or getting an injection will not bother you in the least.  You will not want to go back to how things were.  Wishing you luck!  I hope they get it all figured out and you get a clear plan to help you feel better.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • I have hypothyroidism too, I was diagnosed about 10 years ago, also hereditary. My case is minor, I'm on the lowest dose of Synthroid but it is amazing how much of a difference that small amount makes in my life. You'll get used to the pill every day and the bloodwork. I get mine checked every 6 weeks or so in pregnancy, and yearly otherwise.
    image Ready to rumble.
  • I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism about 6 months after I had my son.  In those 2 years, my meds have stayed the same.  I was super bummed at first, but it's like anything else and you just get used to the fact.

• I dont have a thyroid issue, but i do have experience with synthroid. I used to be a rep for Abbott and sold synthroid (I sell eye drops now). What I learned is that Synthroid is measured in micrograms for a reason.... what ever you do DO NOT USE A GENERIC FOR YOUR THYROID MEDICATION. The FDA regulates that a generic must be 80-120%, but with something measured in micrograms this is a huge deal and you can not be sure to get the exact same generic each month! Branded Synthroid is pretty inexpensive and your Dr can give you coupons/rebates. The thing is, your levels will stabilize with a consistant dose... but if you go generic, your dose will never be consistant. Your thyroid controls everything in your body, so too much or too little could cause anything from heart attacks to coma... and it will definately impact TTC if not controlled properly. Be sure that your Dr writes DAW on your Rx, bc the Pharmacist may try to switch you to a generic anyway (some get bonused on the amount of generics they convert)

I hope that I havnt scared you. I am just very passionate about getting the correct therepy that you need.... some generics are OK to use.... but this is not one of those cases. With that being said, thyroid issues are very common and easy to regulate..... and with the correct therepy you will lead a normal healthy life.

Please feel free to email/page me if you have questions... I will do the best I can to answer them. stanhu73@hotmail.com

Good Luck :)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"