Preemies
Options

Question about bradys

DS had a problem with bradys while he was in the NICU.  At first they said he had to go 3 consecutive days brady-free before he could come home.  Then, as he was there longer, they changed it to 3 consecutive days with no serious bradys (serious being any brady requiring stimulation).  It took him a while, but he was finally able to accomplish that.  Since I knew his "signs" of having a brady without monitors alarming and knew what to do if he did have a serious brady and require stimulation, they allowed him to come home.  He came home with no monitors.  He's 3 months old now and he still appears to be having them.  Obviously, I don't know if he is since he's not on a monitor, but he's still acting like he has them on occasion. 

Is this normal to be happening at 3 months actual?  Is he actually having bradys or is it something else?  He seemed to have one tonight that was more serious than usual but still didn't require stimulation which led me to worry. 

Thanks ladies!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Question about bradys

• Options
    hmmm...  i would definitely talk to your pedi about this.  stella has really bad chronic lung disease & she's on a monitor at night and she never has bradys ever.  are you sure they're bradies?  is he like choking & turning blue? 
  • Options

imageRachel&Joe:
    hmmm...  i would definitely talk to your pedi about this.  stella has really bad chronic lung disease & she's on a monitor at night and she never has bradys ever.  are you sure they're bradies?  is he like choking & turning blue? 

I'm not positive if they're bradies or not since he has no monitors.  He "acts" exactly like he did when he had a non-serious brady...  He chokes, eyes roll back in his head and close, decreased muscle tone (almost like he goes limp... doesn't hold his head up even if he was right before, arms fall to his side limp), gasps for air a couple of times, and gets an almost panicked look on his face.  He never turns blue.  When he was in the NICU, this is exactly what he would do when he bradied.  But, since he was on a monitor, we knew what was happening.  When he had a serious one that required stimulation he would start to turn blue as well.  The NICU said he would grow out of it and since I knew what he looked like when it happened and knew what to do if he needed stim, they sent him home.  I just feel like it shouldn't still be happening but at the same time I don't know if that's what is happening!

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    that sounds awful & is not OK for it to be happening at home since he's not on a monitor.  What do you guys use at night for a monitor?  i wouldn't be able to sleep if i were you.  you need to call your pedi tomorrow morning to talk about getting a monitor and to talk about figuring out why he is still having bradies.
  • Options
    That's what I was afraid of.  I was honestly hoping you would tell me to chill out and that I was just being a typical over-worrying preemie mom!  He seems to go in cycles of being good and it not happening and then all of a sudden it happens again.  Tonight was the worst one since he came home which is why I started freaking out.  We have an angelcare in his crib which is the only way I get any sleep. 
  • Options
    i am so glad you have the angel care! He's really, what, like 6 or 7 weeks adjusted?
  • Options

That doesn't sound normal to me!  Andrew never had a lot of brady's (I know we're lucky!) so I'm not sure..but...I'd definitely ask the doctor and probably get a monitor for peace of mind.

(hugs)

That's so scary :(

• Options
    Yes, 7 weeks adjusted.
  • Options

Was it during/right after a feeding?  I've heard that can be common for a while even as they grow.

But ditto PPs...call the pedi, maybe even tonight.  Better to be safe, ya know?!

3/22/09 - Lily Grace, born at 33 weeks, 2 days
    9/12/14 - M/C @ 7 weeks, 1 day (ectopic)

• Options
    Tonight it was during a feeding.  It's usually during or after a feeding but every once in a while it's completely random.  He'll be laying there and all of a sudden you hear him gasp, etc.  At first I thought tonight he may have bee overwhelmed because I gave him an extra oz.  But, it happened at the beginning of the bottle so I don't think that's what it was.  I'll definitely call his pedi.
  • Options

Maybe (likely) related to reflux!  Andrew will sometimes choke on reflux but not to the extend you're describing.

I also know a preemie mom who's preemie had spells in her sleep, but it turns out she was not breathing for 10 sec at a time due to sleep apnea.   And I think the mom said reflux medicine is helping her too.

I hope you get some answers soon!!

• Options
    It would be nice if it was something simple enough that a medication could fix!  It just really worries me that he did it so bad tonight.  It's usually much more mild when it happens.  Tonight I actually thought I was going to have to stimulate him but he came out of it right about that time.  Why can't life be easy?
  • Options

I talked to his pedi and he is concerned as well.  He doesn't think that it warrants him to be admitted tonight but he said to watch him and if it happens anymore tonight or if we get too worried to head to the ER and call him on the way.  With all the flu cases in the ER he would rather him not be exposed if he doesn't need to though.  He does, however, want to see him tomorrow and talk to the neonatologists about getting him on a monitor so they can see what's going on.  He mentioned possibly admitting him from the Dr appt for 1 day to monitor him and allow time to get the take home monitors set up, etc. 

Of course DH is working late so I'm here to worry alone.  Ugh, this is really not what I had in mind for tonight!

• Options
    you are on the right track--you have a plan!  just get through tonight & then you will get it figured out these next few days.  hang in there!
  • Options
    I'm so glad there is a plan in place (at least the beginning of one.) We had quite a few bradies in the hospital but maybe only 1 or 2 since being home.  Your lo really needs a monitor. Let us know how things go, good luck tomorrow.
  • Options
    I'm glad you called the pedi and have a plan.  Let us know how today goes.  We had alot of bradys in the NICU and ended up being there a week longer because of one that occurred the day we were to be released.  That being said Nathan seemed to have a couple while feeding when first home, but within a week I never noticed them again for either baby.  I will be thinking of you guys!

• Options
    Our NICU was 5-7 days with no bradies...but he came home on a monitor and stayed on it for 9 months.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Does he have apnea? 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imagecfitz16:
    Does he have apnea? 

Not that we are aware of.  

Why can't life be easy?!?!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board