Cincinnati Babies

s/o Sippy Cup

The question below about Sippy Cups got me thinking...

When do you give your LO apple juice? And how much?

Do you skip a FF/BM feeding and give your LO diluted apple juice instead?

Here is my current feeding schedule. When do I insert a sippy cup feeding?

Morning - 2 TBS oatmeal and 8 oz bottle

Mid Morning - 1 jar fruit + 4 oz bottle

Early Afternoon - 8 oz bottle

Late Afternoon - 1 jar veggie + 4 oz bottle

Bedtime - 2 TBS rice cereal + 8 oz bottle

*Note - she does not always finish all 8 oz.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: s/o Sippy Cup

• I honestly don't remember when we started straight apple juice! Bad mommy! I know we were mixing it with her cereal at an early age.

When we did start juice, we started giving it to her with lunch, so for you I guess that would be the 4 oz bottle with the mid morning jar of fruit?

We just did it every lunch, then eventually that's what she was drinking with dinner, then added it gradually from there.

Now she has milk with breakfast & nighttime snack, and juice or water for all other drinks.

• We gave her the sippy cup at mealtimes, and always gave her water in it.  Once she started getting the hang of it, we started putting her milk in it and letting her drink her milk from the sippy instead of the bottle.  By 10 mos. she would drink all of her milk (24 oz. per day) from cups instead of bottles, so she had the 4 cups of milk per day (6 oz. each) and 2-3 cups of water of per day at meal times.  We never gave her juice just to give juice.  The only reason we ever started juice was because of constipation issues, and we started that about a year ago.  Juice isn't really necessary to give unless you want to give it, and it should be given in addition to her feedings, not in place of a formula/BM feeding. 
    Ava Caroline 8.27.07 I Charlotte Grace 5.18.09 I Lila Katherine 1.20.11

• Loading the player...
  • imageadamsbabble:
    really necessary to give unless you want to give it, and it should be given in addition to her feedings, not in place of a formula/BM feeding. 

Ahhh! Thank you for the clarification!

Should I start putting her formula in sippy cups? I am completely confused when to use sippy cups and stop using bottles.

• I'd just let her practice with water at meal times.  It was a good 2-3 months of practicing with water before I started giving her formula in her sippy cup.  This is how I remember her schedule being from around 7-10 months:

7 a.m. - 6 oz. bottle

8-9 a.m. - Fruit & oatmeal and sippy cup of water

11 a.m. - 6 oz. bottle

12 p.m. - Fruit & vegetable and sippy cup of water

2 p.m. - after nap snack such as cheerios and sippy cup of water

3 p.m. - 6 oz. bottle

6 p.m. - Vegetable & oatmeal and sippy cup of water 

7-8 p.m. (bedtime) - 6 oz. bottle

This is roughly what her schedule was like from 7-10 mos. and was basically the same from 10-12 mos. as well... the only thing that changed was everywhere you see a bottle feeding she was drinking her formula from a cup instead.  However you do it, cup or bottle, just be sure that your DD is still getting the minimum of 24 oz. of formula until 12 mos.  There is really no rule about when to start using a cup vs. a bottle before 1 year.  Some children still use bottles when they start cow's milk at 1 year.  It doesn't have to be given in a cup.  It's whatever works for them.  I just followed Ava's lead.  I'd probaby recommend practicing with water though for now.

Ava Caroline 8.27.07 I Charlotte Grace 5.18.09 I Lila Katherine 1.20.11

• We just offered water in a sippy cup with meals.  We've still not done juice on a regular basis.  After Ethan turned one, we switched to milk in a sippy with meals, and water during the rest of the day with snack and playing.  HTH!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"