Preemies

Little freaked out about insurance...

Found out today that our insurance has a cap of $1million per person... I'm wondering what the negotiated price will be for LO's stay in the NICU for two weeks...  Not that I think it would be all that high, but I wouldn't be surprised if it weren't $100k or more...

Anyone else in that boat?

Re: Little freaked out about insurance...

• we don't have a cap (thank God) but Robbie was in for 96 days and his bill was about 550k. so a million still would have been okay.

Is that a million lifetime? If you do hit that, can you change to a different plan within the company? That should "reset" your limit.

• Our lifetime cap was $2.5 mil and we signed up DS for a secondary insurance policy when he was born.  We were in the NICU 117 days and I don't know what our total was, but I know we didn't reach $2.5 mil and I would guess it was more in the ball park of $500k-750k.  He didn't have major surgeries though like some kids too, so I can see where it could be a lot more.

For 2 weeks I don't think you'll be anywhere near $1 mil.

Oh!  at our hospital, just the bed fees were $4500/night. !!

• Loading the player...
  • While a hostital might charge an individual $50,000 for a 2 week stay, they discount it for the insurance company. It's a HUGE discount...I wouldn't worry about ot Big Smile
  • I don't think that you'll be anywhere near there.  I had two babies in the NICU for three months, plus one hospital to hospital transfer, one major surgery, and a HUGE pharmacy and blood products bill.  The hospitals charged close to 3 million but the insurance only allows for less than half of that.  
  • We had a $1million lifetime cap per person, and I think a $2million cap per family. My kids were in the clink for 5 and 8 weeks, following a month of me being hospitalized on bedrest. The amount the hospital billed our insurance was well over $3 million, probably closer to 4 million. But I just went through our financial records a few weeks ago and our insurance company only paid about $300k for everything - the amount insurance cos pay is peanuts compared to what the hospital bills.

I think you'll be okay :)  Keep an eye on it as next year progresses though. You may need to switch plans w/in the company sometime soon.

• Thankfully, our NICU bills are behind us, but for DS's 27-day stay, the bill was over $100k and he had a pretty uneventful stay with little support.  Good luck.  NICU bills can be scary.
  • Reese was in the nicu for 10 days.  Her bill was $51k.  I think her xrays and labs were another $1k. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • You should be just fine. Our bills were estimated to be 1.75M based on the standard bed charge. With insurance negotiated costs and his declining bed cost as he got better, we were just over 550K. That was for over 2 months. Two weeks should be nowhere close to that.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"