Birth Stories
Options

Nadia's (everything) Birth Story

At my 38 week appt we set up an induction for 39 weeks 2 days due to a medical condition I have that may cause me to have a C-section.  At that appointment and my 39 week appt I was not dilated, not effaced but  my cervix was soft.  For my induction I was supposed to arrive at the hospital on Sunday at  9pm on the 18th for cervical ripening and then start Pitocin on Monday morning the 19th.

Over the weekend I was feeling very crampy, super uncomfortable and having lots of BH, which I had been having since week 31 with no progress so I did not think much of it. 

We arrived at the hospital on Sunday evening and I was hooked up to the monitors, which revealed I was having contractions 5 min apart lasting a minute.  The nurse checked my cervix and I was 3 cm dilated and 80% effaced with a bulging bag of water.   So suprisingly I was in labor on my own.  They did not need to do the cervical ripening since I was dilated, so the plan was to start Pitocin in the morning.

My Dr came in to check me at 7 am the next morning and I was 4cm dilated and 90% effaced, my contractions were not painful at this time, and they went ahead and started Pitocin.  My Dr had a surgery that morning so she was to return around 10am to break my water.

The Pitocin sucked, about 15 min after they started it my contractions became very painful and I noticed I had to stop what I was doing to breathe through them.  I decided to naturally labor for a while and wait to get the epi.  The contractions became more and more painful, lasting over a minute and coming every 2 minutes.  My nurse kept coming in every 15- 30 min to up the Pitocin, needless to say, I was really hating that nurse. 

At 11am my Dr came by to break my water, I was 5 cm dilated and 90% effaced.  My Dr warned me that this would make my contractions a lot more painful, and said she would wait to break it if I wanted to get my epi first.  I decided to go ahead and get the epi, as the contractions were getting really painful.  The nurse called anesthesia and I was informed that there were 5 other patients ahead of me on the epi list, so it would be awhile before I could get it.  I was in so much pain I wished I would have gotten it sooner.  10 minutes later, a different anesthesiologist came in, he had just finished a surgery and had enough time until his next one to put my epi in.  I love that anesthesiologist, he was so nice, and I did not even feel the epi go in, although it sucked to have to sit up through the contractions.

After I got the epi the relief was immediate, I could not feel anything from my uterus down, it was great.  The nurse then came in to anchor a foley catheter which was not bad since I could not feel it. 

My Dr came in around 1150 to break my water, (my DH went out to smoke while she did this) while she was there it was decided that I would need a C-section, due to my medical condition, and she left to call the OR.  As soon as she left the room there were a bunch of nurses that came running in, an OR nurse who shaved my abdomen, a baby nurse who asked me a bunch of questions, my nurse who applied TED hose and SCD sleeves.  Then anesthesia came and redosed my epi and gave me a liter of IV fluids and an antibiotic.  My DH walked in while all this was going on, and sat back in the corner to read his book like nothing was happening.  As soon as he sat down the nurse handed him a jump suit and a surgical cap and asked if he was coming with me.  He was very shocked to find out I was going for a C-section, as he had just left the room 5 minutes before. 

At 1155 I was wheeled to the OR, the anesthesiologist gave me some more medication, and they prepped my abdomen and then put up the drapes.  My DH walked in the room at 1200, he took a picture of the clock on the way into the OR.  DH sat next to me as they got started.  At 1205 my DD was born, kicking and screaming, it was the most beautiful noise I had ever heard.  My DH was crying, I was crying, it was not the delivery I wanted, but I knew going in that I had a 50% chance of needing one. 

Once my DD was out my Dr said that even if I was able to try for a vaginal delivery, she said I would have ended up with a C-section do to LO's size, and she still had not dropped into my pelvis.

Nadia Isabella was born 10-19 at 1205 pm weighing 8lbs 9oz and 20.5" long, with a 14" head. (everyone thought she would be 7lbs, as I am small)  I found out I would need a c-section at 1155 and 10 minutes later my daughter was born.

The epi was fantastic, I highly recommend it, it did not hurt going in or coming out, and it made labor alot more enjoyable.  If you are having a C-section try to get up as soon as possible and walk around as much as you can.  Also, stay on top of the pain medication, the pain is not bad as long as you take your pain medication on schedule.  And ask for the stool softeners, and make sure to take them for as long as you are taking your pain pills, it will make your first PP BM a little less scary.

Re: Nadia's (everything) Birth Story

• Options
    Congrats.  What I dont get is why a Dr would tell you due to her size you would have needed a c/s.  I am small and delivered a baby Nadia's size vaginally.  weird
  • Options
    What is the mystery medical condition you have that they gave you a 50/50 chance of having a c-section?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"