South Florida Babies

convert crib to bed, buy toddler bed, or buy crib tent?

im so confused.

some of you may already know that mady jumped out of her crib last night. SHE'S FINE...she just got a small bruise on her forehead while i suffered a heart attack.

however, i refuse to let her sleep in her crib any longer and now i'm confused on what to do.

1. do i get something like this: https://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3712127

2. a toddler bed, something like this: https://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2903477

3. or convert my crib to this: (this is my exact crib: https://www3.jcpenney.com/jcp/X6.aspx?ItemTyp=G&itemID=15281ee&GrpTyp=PRD&ShowMenu=T&ShopBy=0&SearchString=cribs&RefPage=SearchDepartment.aspx&s4PageSize=99&CmCatId=searchresults&Search1Prod=True

my idea would be to go with #3 however she will fall out of the bed, so what do i get? this is so frustrating and i need to make a decision soon, last night she slept in her pnp. thanks again!

imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: convert crib to bed, buy toddler bed, or buy crib tent?

• sorry i have more questions, mady is only 18 months this is what makes me even more confused...is she not too small for a toddler bed still?
  • I have absolutely no experience with this but my best friend's son did the same thing at 18 months and they converted his bed to a toddler bed.  He did just fine and they never looked back.  They did find him asleep on the floor surrounded by his toys a few times but that didn't last long.
    imageLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • rach - do you know if he fell off the bed when they converted the crib?

the crib rail that comes with my crib (when i buy it) looks something like this: https://www3.jcpenney.com/jcp/grgrowwithbabyfurniture.aspx?ReturnURL=http%3a%2f%2fwww3.jcpenney.com%2fjcp%2fX6.aspx%3fpersist%3d1%257e0%257e0%257e%257ePRD%257c15281ee%257e-1%257e%257e%257eFalse%26CmCatId%3dsearchresults&CmCatId=searchresults

look where it says "toddler daybed" doesnt that look small?

• Maia's had a crib tent since she was 10 months or so cause she would always lean over the edge. It works great, she's never opened it. I actually just bought her a twin bed today. Got to get her converted before the baby comes.

I would say that you should decide based on how you're comfortable sleeping. Are you ok knowing that she has free access to everything while you're asleep? As long as everything is child proof and you have no worries I see no problem in using a toddler bed. My house has stairs and even though I have a gate, it made me nervous to think she could get out of bed and try to escape while I was sleeping!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• imagewrenr:

Maia's had a crib tent since she was 10 months or so cause she would always lean over the edge. It works great, she's never opened it. I actually just bought her a twin bed today. Got to get her converted before the baby comes.

I would say that you should decide based on how you're comfortable sleeping. Are you ok knowing that she has free access to everything while you're asleep? As long as everything is child proof and you have no worries I see no problem in using a toddler bed. My house has stairs and even though I have a gate, it made me nervous to think she could get out of bed and try to escape while I was sleeping!

great, now im twice as confused. i have stairs too that are gated but now you just opened my eyes with what you said lol

• I would try to convert the crib into a toddler bed.  My daughter hasn't tried to get out of her crib, but she is turning 2 in December already so I actually pruchased the toddler rail for her crib and I plan to convert it soon.

Not sure if the crib you purchased has the toddler rail which you could purchase, but here is one that I think attaches to any.

https://www.onestepahead.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=534813&cmSource=Search

• imageChicBridetoBe:

I would try to convert the crib into a toddler bed.  My daughter hasn't tried to get out of her crib, but she is turning 2 in December already so I actually pruchased the toddler rail for her crib and I plan to convert it soon.

Not sure if the crib you purchased has the toddler rail which you could purchase, but here is one that I think attaches to any.

https://www.onestepahead.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=534813&cmSource=Search

thanks! this crib rail actually looks a lot bigger than the one that comes with my crib, look at it here where it says "toddler daybed"

https://www3.jcpenney.com/jcp/grgrowwithbabyfurniture.aspx?ReturnURL=http%3a%2f%2fwww3.jcpenney.com%2fjcp%2fX6.aspx%3fpersist%3d1%257e0%257e0%257e%257ePRD%257c15281ee%257e-1%257e%257e%257eFalse%26CmCatId%3dsearchresults&CmCatId=searchresults

• I don't think you can use a crib tent with that kind of a crib. If you weren't able to buy a toddler conversion kit for your crib that gives you a bed rail that leaves a small opening for them to go through then you can always buy bed rails at BRU  so that she won't fall out.  I think that would be the cheapest option plus you wouldn't have to find a spot for her current crib until you end up needing it again.
  • imageFSUSammy:
    I don't think you can use a crib tent with that kind of a crib. If you weren't able to buy a toddler conversion kit for your crib that gives you a bed rail that leaves a small opening for them to go through then you can always buy bed rails at BRU  so that she won't fall out.  I think that would be the cheapest option plus you wouldn't have to find a spot for her current crib until you end up needing it again.

sam - look at my replies above - i can buy the converter at JCP or the one from one step ahead (that they posted above for me) is much longer than the one from JCP...what do you think?

• imageCesEve99:
    great, now im twice as confused. i have stairs too that are gated but now you just opened my eyes with what you said lol

Sorry, lol. I'm paranoid and it shows! Well, a crib tent is cheaper than a new bed, right? But if you already have a convertible crib, it's not bad.

• I'd say if you aren't going to get the crib rail that comes with your crib to match then you can definitely get a cheaper rail at BRU compared to that $70+ one from onestepahead.com

I saw the JCPenney pic of the rail and it looks so tiny compared to the one we are getting for Mikey's crib (from BRU though)

• imageFSUSammy:

I'd say if you aren't going to get the crib rail that comes with your crib to match then you can definitely get a cheaper rail at BRU compared to that $70+ one from onestepahead.com

I saw the JCPenney pic of the rail and it looks so tiny compared to the one we are getting for Mikey's crib (from BRU though)

makes a lot of sense. that was my fear - the one from jcp is way too small. the matching is not a major concern of mine, im more worried about safety at this point. and i can always detach it during the day and put it up at night. ill take a trip to bru tonight to see what they have. do you think ill find more in store than online at bru? if not, then ill order the one from onestepahead if i find nothing, that one is def much longer.

• Obviously I have no first hand experience. I would convert the crib and add the toddler rails. My nephew was in a toddler bed at 18 months because he climbed in and out of his crib like a little monkey. I don't my SIL has had any problems with him rolling or falling out. HTH and glad to hear that Mady is ok :)
  • Like Nikki, I have no experience, but my intuition is that I would just convert to the crib to the toddler bed (using the longer rail from BRU or wherever, not necessarily the one that comes with your crib) and just make sure that everything is baby proofed so that if she gets out of bed in the middle of the night, she can't get hurt.

Does Mady sleep with her bedroom door closed? Can she open the door herself? If you can confine her in her room w/o her having access to the stairs, and if her room itself is baby-proofed, then I think it would be okay.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • We converted Sophie for the same reason....she started climbing out. She did it a few times and I always caught her in the act before she could land or fall but it concerned me enough that we wasted no time converting her.

When we bought her crib, we made sure it came with the rails. The rail is really short. Less than half of the bed. Just enough for her to feel it if she rolls that way and it had been a concern because Sophie was still flipping from one side to another in her crib. However, the bed is so low to the ground that falling off would startle her more than hurt her so that part did not worry me too much. A main concern for us was that the rail was only on one side and Sophie was used to sleeping with her head where the foot of the bed would be once we converted it to the toddler/daybed thing. We bit the bullet and did it anyway. I have learned time and time again that this kid is a lot more resilient than I give her credit for. I had already been putting a pillow in her crib so I did the same in the toddler bed and she has learned to sleep on that side.

I also made a big deal about getting a Dora bedding set to make it much more appealing to her (you may want to try this with Elmo) as she got used to it. The first month went awesome and then she went to a seperation anxiety type thing where she started sleeping by the closed door (you probably remember that).  Now we have our bedtime routine and my DH sits in the room for a few minutes with her as she settles in then he kisses, leaves, and Sophie goes to sleep.

We do not have two stories or stairs but the front door is always a concern even though we have an alarm that we put on every night. So, we gated our hallway with a gate at each exist, we close every door except our room and we also shut Sophie's door. That gives us comfort that even if she somehow figures out how to open her door in the middle of the night - the only place she can go is our room.

I HTH! You never know how she will react until you actually do it and all you can do is take as many precautions as possible Doing it on a Friday is perfect because it gives you a couple of days of no working (hopefully) to get comfortable just in case. Also, she did not jump our of the PNP? Dude, Sophie jumped the one at my mom's house before she even thought about doing it out of her crib.

GL!!!!!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Another idea is to buy that $50 toddler bed and put it in her room with her crib. She is still very young so if it does not totally work out you can always research tents and go that route. Sophie was already approaching 2 when we moved her to a toddler bed. And you will need a toddler bed at one point anyway and if you don't have the rails for your crib it may be just cheaper to get a little elmo bed for her to "transition" with.
  • imageMellyMelB:
    Another idea is to buy that $50 toddler bed and put it in her room with her crib. She is still very young so if it does not totally work out you can always research tents and go that route. Sophie was already approaching 2 when we moved her to a toddler bed. And you will need a toddler bed at one point anyway and if you don't have the rails for your crib it may be just cheaper to get a little elmo bed for her to "transition" with.

ty so much! i know you just went thru it with sophie so i plan to do this, although im gonna start out with a toddler rail and add elmo sheets! the elmo sheets is a great idea! this is pretty scary step to go thru, the idea that she can roam around her room is pretty scary, but trust me nothing compares to the fact of your kid falling out of the crib!

• Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageMellyMelB:

you rock!!!!! ty!!!!!!!!!!

• Super late here - but this post was helpful...i'm thinking ahead.  We will need to transition Chelsea out of her crib for baby #3 to use.  Great ideas ladies - you helped me too!  
  • When Alex moved from his crib, we moved him straight to a full size bed. It was a bed from IKEA, very low to the floor, like not even a foot from the floor, and I knew that it would grow with him. He is a crazy side sleeper, which was my concern when he was in the crib- his arms and legs were always hanging out. The full size bed is great, and he's had that for over 2 years now!! When he was younger, I just gated his room off so he could not roam the house in the instance that he woke up.
  • i was just going to post about IKEA - they have great beds for kids!!!! Toddler and slightly bigger and very reasonable!!
    image image

• I am also super late on this. Aa did the same thing the day he turned 19 months. We went right out and bought at toddler bed because I wanted him as close to the floor as possible. I did not like the thought of  rails and I am not sure if anyone else mentioned this because it plus the height of the crib would make a higher fall even when he just wanted to get out of the bed. I also did not like the idea of the tent.

If you decide to get a toddler bed I saw some cute ones at Burlington Coat Factory. Good luck and just so you know I felt like I lost my baby that week...I was so sad that he was not in his crib anymore...where I felt he was safest...but I got over it. lol. I also had a baby sleeping on the floor most of the time.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"