Two Under 2

if you did NOT bf with #1

Did you even try with #2?

I was all set to BF DS - took the class, read books, etc. ?I had GD and when he was born (via c/s) he had low blood sugar. ?He was taken to the nursery and they wouldn't return him to me until his blood sugar was normalized, which took almost 2 hours. ?So by the time I tried to BF, he'd already been bottle fed and I think it contributed to his lack of interest in the boob. ?I tried for the first 24 hours and he just wouldn't latch for anything, the LC wasn't very kind or helpful, and at that point I was so frustrated, worked up, and exhausted that DH suggested we just go with the bottle.

I never thought I'd consider BFing #2, FF worked just fine for our family and I truly believe DS is every bit as healthy and strong as any BF'd baby. ?But as this pregnancy progresses, I wonder if I should at least try, assuming the blood sugar issues don't repeat themselves? ?I'm not even totally sure where I stand on the idea, just something I thought I'd put out there and see if anyone has any experience! ?tia!

the bug & bee blog
(read it. you know you want to.)
anderson . september 2008
vivian . february 2010
mabel . august 2012
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: if you did NOT bf with #1

• I tried with DD#1, but had latching problems and had my own "issues" (physically healing took 6 weeks) so after 3 days, I gave in to the formula that was sent as a sample. I don't regret it! She was/is a VERY healthy baby and once I got over the inital guilt, all was well.

I plan to try with DD#2, at least for the first few days to get the colostrum. If it works, great. If not, I know that FF is perfectly fine, too!

Good Luck!! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I was (actually still am) a bit repulsed about the idea of me breastfeeding...I'm not skeeved at all when other women do it, but breastfeeding is not for me and I did not want to resent DD in any way for doing it.  DD was completely formula fed from the start and is a healthy, thriving and secure toddler. 

I did, however, try to BF DS.  I planned to exclusively FF him just as I did with DD, but he was having issues right away in the hospital tolerating any formula and could not keep it down.  I realized I would never forgive myself if he went through hel l and was in pain, just because I didn't like BFing.  I managed to BF him for a month (had really bad supply issues), and it was HARD and I honestly hated every second of it.  He still had tummy issues and eventually was diagnosed with a milk protein allergy and had to go on hypoallergenic formula.  I am glad I at least tried it, but I still am more comfortable with formula feeding. 

I think it's worth a try; if you don't like it, you can always stop, but every single day you BF makes a difference because you are giving them your antibodies.  Instead of setting goals like BFing for 12 months, set them for a week at a time. That helped me a lot.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • I was planning to BF DD but my milk never came in. I tried for 11 days before we finally gave up and went to FF. It was a NIGHTMARE of an experience. She has been perfectly healthy and happy and thriving on formula and this was obviously the right thing for our family.

I am days away from delivering #2 and my boobs are not at all leaking, do not feel full or huge or anything. I'm not really expecting my milk to come in again. I will BF at least in the hospital to give the baby my colostrum. But if my milk isn't in by the time we get home we're going straight to FF. 

I am not putting my family through that nightmare again, especially now that I'll have a newborn AND a 1-year-old to take care of. A happy mama is more important than a lactating one.

• I didn't even try with DS but I think I'm going to try to BF with this one.  If it doesn't work out I'm not too worried since DS is perfectly healthy after being formula fed.  I've been reading a lot of books about breastfeeding and it really annoys me when they said FF leads to death and make it sound like child abuse to not breastfeed.  DS#2 will be born in December and with all the flu and stuff going around I figure I should at least try so he gets those immunities.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I'm going to give it my best shot. I tried for 10 days and my milk never came in, and DD was starving. So we switched to formula and she did great. I have nothing against formula, except for the fact that it is not free. BM is free, and we could REALLY use the free option with this one. Smile So I'm keeping everything crossed that it works, but if it doesn't, we'll all be OK.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

Joe and Ashley ~ June 16, 2007 ~ Olivia Rae ~ May 12, 2008 ~ 9:06 pm ~ 8lbs 4oz ~ 20.5 inches ~ Miscarriage of twins ~ April 16, 2009 at 6 weeks. ~ Surprise BFP 6/23/09 13DPO ~ Eleanor Rose ~ February 18, 2010 ~ 6lbs 15oz ~ 20 inches ~ Caroline Ruth ~ February 19, 2013 ~ 6lbs 12 oz ~ 19 1/4 inches

Our family is complete!

• I only bf'd ds for about a month, and even then it wasn't exclusive. I feel bad that I didn't try harder to get him to latch. (I only pumped) but I am happy he got whatever breastmilk he did. I feel very strongly about trying harder with #2, even though I feel a little sad that I did not give #1 the same chance.
  • I EP'd with D for 5 months because I couldn't get him to latch, and honestly, as hard as it was - I think that's what I'll end up doing with this one, too.  I will definitely try BFing, but if it doesn't work out, I'm not going to force it and I'll just EP.  It was really hard but worth it in the end.
  • I did not BF Larsen.  However, I plan to attempt BFing with baby number two.  I am a teacher and this baby is due in June, so hopefully, I will be able to nurse him/her for a good two months at least.  We have no time to pump at school, so once I go back to work the baby will be put on formula.  I have major guilt for not BFing DS, so I at least, want to give it a try.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Two angel babies 11/09 and 4/10
  • I only BF #1 for 6 weeks and quit after we had lots of issues.  I BF #2 for 13 mos.  I was so glad I tried, but I knew that if it didn't work out again that it was ok.  It ended up being great.
  • I didnt BF DS1 or DS2...I just knew it wasnt right for me and my family. They have both been FF since day 1, and I know it was the right decision for me. Good luck!
  • I had an extremely frustrating time trying to BF DS. For whatever reason, he would NOT latch and screamed bloody murder anytime he got close to the boob. I do fully intend to try it with #2 though. I felt very strongly about BFing #1 and I think I need to try again for my own sake. But I am most grateful for formula and will gladly go back to that if I have troubles again this time around.
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'll be honest - I didn't even try with #2.  I had major issues with bf#1 that led to PPD.  I felt so guilty for not being able to bf and it really took me awhile to get over it!  After a long talk with an extremely supportive DH, we decided that FF would be best for our family with #2.

As it turns out, it was the right call.  LO was born on Monday and I almost immediately developed complications from my epidural.  They put it in too far and I started leaking spinal fluid.  I ended up with partial neck paralysis and was flat on my back for a couple of days.  I'm just starting to feel better but there would be no way that I could bf#2 - I can't sit for more than 5 minutes at a time.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"