TTC after 35

Did anyone skip IUI and go straight to IVF?

due to age... or for other reasons?

I spoke to a woman at work today who is going through her 2nd IVF cycle with a new RE - who happens to be the same RE I will be seeing in less than 2 weeks. She told me that since we only get $10k lifetime fertility treatments from our company, and because I am 40, that she suggests I go straight to IVF. 

Re: Did anyone skip IUI and go straight to IVF?

• We were going to but ended up getting pg on our own. We decided because of age, our issues, the odds, and our coverage that it would be best for us.

I think you should see what your RE says though.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageitsmexine:

We were going to but ended up getting pg on our own. We decided because of age, our issues, the odds, and our coverage that it would be best for us.

I think you should see what your RE says though.

oh yes, I will definitely see what he has to say first.  I haven't even had an HSG or any blood tests done yet.
  • Loading the player...
  • Yeah I'd see what the R/E says after your initial tests are complete.?
  • When we were trying for #1, I wanted to skip IUI and go straight to IVF because based on our SA, there was no way IUI would work- or very highly unlikely.  My RE said many insurance companies require you do IUI first.  That was true of my insurance.  It makes sense since it's so much cheaper and less intrusive - but of course it didn't work for us and I felt it was a waste of  4 months considering I was 39 at the time. 

This time we went straight to IVF.  The irony was it got cancelled because of poor response and we ended up doing IUI again - which was another BFN. 

So that is a long way of saying, check with your insurance company and see if they have any restrictions on what you must do prior to IVF.

3 IUI's and 2 IVF's later- Brady arrived. Born at 36 weeks after PUPPS and pre-e/HELLP.
    IUI- BFN IVF #1 -BFP! Allie is our 2nd IVF baby. Born at 36 1/2 weeks after pre-e again
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image

• Though we're new to all this...we have learned that everyone's set of circumstances varies so each plan varies as well.  I'm 36 and DH is 37 and we have been diagnosed with male factor infertility with a treatment of IVF with ICSI.  We asked about IUI but they didn't think the odds were worth the time and money potentially wasted.

Haven't started the cycle yet (our insurance doesn't cover IVF, only IVF meds) as we're trying to work out the financial details.

Best of luck with everything:) 

• QE2QE2 member
    Yes, we went right to IVF due to mine and DH's diagnosis. DH has 4% morphology, I have DOR, high FSH, hypothyroidism, polyps and I'm a poor responder to medications.
    TTC since 3/08 DOR, High FSH, Hypothyroid, Uterine Polyps, blocked tube, MFI, 5 rounds of clomid, 5 IVF attempts, 2 hysteroscopies, 2 natural conceptions=2 losses (Methotrexate, D&C) Successful DE cycle twins born 10/7/11 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Hi DinaLINY,

Ours is a very similar situation. My insurance covers $10k. I'm 42 and my DH is 39. We've been TTC for 1 1/2 years. My OB didn't feel the need for us to do anything else but keep trying naturally. I finally did an HSG and everything looked good. That particular doctor suggested that I see an RE. I did that and he gave me options 1) keep trying on our own - less likely that we'd get pregnant  2) IUI - better chance but still small or 3) IVF - our better option. He didn't pressure me either way.

We decided to go straight to IVF and I'm in the process at this time. It is overwhelming to jump right in to it but we are hopeful and excited.

Good luck. I'll be checking in to see how you are  and what you decided.

• FWIW, when I asked about IUI vs IVF, my RE said that since I've had a child with my H naturally they would rec the IUI.  She said that many women who do the IUI and haven't had a prior pregnancy, has a lesser chance with the IUI.

Like the other ladies, I'd go to the RE and hear him out.  I've learned through this process to listen to him and go as aggressively as you can from the get go.

GL to you.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageougrad1:

FWIW, when I asked about IUI vs IVF, my RE said that since I've had a child with my H naturally they would rec the IUI.  She said that many women who do the IUI and haven't had a prior pregnancy, has a lesser chance with the IUI.

Same here.  We're going with the IUI first because I also had a prior pregnancy naturally.  And for the more obvious reason--it's a heck of a lot cheaper than IVF so I'm willing to try it first.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • thank you for all your replies. they're very helpful.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"