Parenting after a Loss
Options

XP: Baby Ava Nicole's Birth Story (long!)

Hi girls! I finally put Ava's birth story into writing. Hope you enjoy it (if you can make it to the end!) Miss you lots!
-------------------------------------------------------- 

She's here! She's here! We welcomed Baby Ava Nicole into the world on Tuesday, October 20, 2009 at 7:41 a.m.  She popped out after only 30 minutes of pushing to her mommy's delight. Miss Ava weighed 7 lbs, 8 oz and measured 20 1/2 inches long. She came out crying and grasping for my hands. She had incredible strength from birth and clasped tightly to both my forefingers as she was placed on my chest. It was truly the greatest single moment of my life holding her for the first time.  

The labor and delivery could not have gone more perfect. Our Baby Esquire was quite punctual because I went into labor on my due date! I started having contractions at 7:00 am on October 19 and ironically had a doctor's appointment later that morning.  Dr. Smith was certain that I would deliver "either today or tomorrow".  Can you believe my personal OB, Dr. Hathaway, was on call that night? Now we really wanted to have this baby!! We were still shocked Dr. Smith thought it was so soon though because the contractions were still irregular and only about 20 minutes apart.  However, I was 2 cm dilated and 80% at this point.  

Dr. Smith sent me home to labor and to go to the hospital once the contractions were 10 minutes apart (if rush hour), and 5 minutes apart (if not).  It was a gorgeous sunny day, about 70 degrees, here in Atlanta on October 19 so I spent the day outside on the patio talking to friends and family, getting a tan (you know my skin needed to look good for the labor process, c'mon now), and getting excited about meeting our baby.  By 4:00, the contractions were about 6 minutes apart.  Daddy came home and we packed last minute items for the hospital. We were still not sure this was it, but we had a good feeling it was time.  On the way to the hospital there was a ton of traffic on I-285 but the contractions were starting to taper off so we opted not to use the shoulder as our escape route to the hospital ;) Finally we made it off the Glenridge ramp and checked into L&D.  The nurse could not believe I was in labor.  In fact, she asked me "what can I help you with"? Uh, I am having a baby lady!! She said she assumed I was a planned C-section since I seemed so happy!! Once we checked in and I was hooked up to the fetal monitor, my contractions seemed to completely subside. I was crushed. This was the only moment of the entire labor that I was truly pissed. I looked like the boy who cried wolf! I was allowed to walk around with Daddy to see if I progressed any farther.  After 45 minutes of walking, I was feeling the contractions fairly intensely again and about 5 minutes apart.  Thank goodness the monitors registered the contractions and we were granted full admission! By 10:00 pm, I was at 3 cm dilated and more than 80% effaced. Whew!

Everything moved quickly from this point.  The contractions grew more intense and Daddy was wonderful rubbing my lower back and feeding me ice chips. I progressed naturally from 3 cm to 7 cm and was about 90% dilated.  Then at 2:30 am Dr. Hathaway broke my water. That's when it felt like a tsunami had hit me over and over again. I was able to recover from each contraction but then could not seem to relax the way I was doing for the prior ones.  After one hour of playing catch up, I decided to request the epidural. This proved to be the single best decision of the labor. Dr. Bowman could not have given me a better epidural. It was perfect. I could still feel my legs (numbness was my biggest fear going in), and I could feel the pressure when Baby Esq started pressing down.  We were even able to catch some shut eye for a bit before the pushing began.  Of course I was staring at the fetal monitor the entire time though :)

Dr. Hathaway started the Pitocin to get the contractions closer together and by 7:10 a.m. I was fully dilated and effaced and ready to push! Incredibly, the pushing was the fastest thing about the delivery.  I actually enjoyed it because I could still feel everything but was not in pain (just some discomfort).  Daddy, Dr. Hathaway and the nurses did a great job of encouraging me and I was very focused on trying to please them. They got very excited when I had a good push so this was quite motivating for me (hello competitive mommy!) Dr. Hathaway showed me Baby Esq's sweet brown hair in the mirror, and I thought I would melt.  I knew she would have hair but did not know what color.  

I will never forget the feeling of clasping her hands for the first time. It was pure heaven.  And I will also never forget looking up at daddy and seeing him white as a ghost. He was so worried about his little girl because her umbilical cord was pressed against her tightly when she was born.  Once he realized she was ok, he was so relieved and overjoyed.  We were able to bond with Ava immediately in the delivery room. I will never forget those special moments for the rest of my life.

Watching daddy bond with Ava is probably my favorite new pasttime. He is amazing with her and so intuitive. It was hard to see him go back to work today but I am also thankful that he was able to get a week off from his new job. Ava and I cannot wait for him to get home tonight!!

Our little Ava is truly a wonderful baby and we are very blessed that she was born healthy and with no complications.  We cannot wait to see what life has in store for our little family.  We know it will be tough at times, and that things might not always turn out the way we planned, but we are surrounded by love, faith and hope for a bright future. 
bfp #1 Fall 2008 ~ missed m/c 9w Baby Birthday  Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday  Ticker Ticker

Re: XP: Baby Ava Nicole's Birth Story (long!)

• Options
    Congrats and welcome!
    m/c April '08
    DD#1 born June '09
    DD#2 born April '11
    TTC #3 as of July '14

My Ovulation Chart
  • Options
    Congrats and welcome - Ava is beautiful!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I am so happy for you guys. Ava is so precious... isn't being a momma the best thing in the world?!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Thanks for sharing :) Congrats, mama!
    BFP#1 May 17, 2008
    Surgery for ectopic pregnancy June 3, 2008
    BFP #2 September 25, 2008
    Baby boy born June 4, 2009 at 40 weeks
    8 pounds 13 ounces and 23 inches
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BFP #3 February 6, 2011
    First U/S February 25, 2011 = TWINS!!!
    Boy/girl twins born October 4, 2011
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I'm going to read this once LO is in bed, but for now.... She is beautiful, and I love her name!
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"