Baby Showers
Options

Cake Dilemma!

My shower is in a little over a week and we can not find a cake anywhere! We were going to make one, but we don't think we're that creative. There aren't many bakerys around here, because we're in a small town. Are you making your own? How are you doing your cake? My theme is ducks so we would really like a duck cake. I still think I should make it myself. I know how to use fondant and everything.

Re: Cake Dilemma!

• Options

You're braver than I am.  I would never attempt to make my own cake.  Of course if you are comfortable with using fondant and you don't have a bakery within driving distance what other alternative do you have?  I live in a small town and have had one bakery for years.  Just last week we had a second one open up.  Fortunately, we only live about 20 miles away from several others as well.

• Options

I made a duck cake for my nephew. I made a basic rectangular cake and frosted it with blue frosting. I used food dye to make it blue. I then purchase a duck mould from Wilton (you can also get it at Michaels, Wallmart). I filled the mould up half way and layed it on it's side to bake. I put the duck cake on top of the blue cake to make it look like it was swimming and then frosted it.

You could also make a cupcake cake. Decorate all your cupcakes with frosting ( if you are having a girl you can make the frosting pink) and then put store bought rubber ducks on top of them.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I've also seen where you bake 2 duck cake molds and put them together for a 3D duck.  It's too cute.
  • Options

1) How far is the nearest large grocery store? They usually have decorated cakes (and do requests) for reasonable prices.

2) If you are good with fondant - go for it.

3) Easy way out - make a sheet cake and decorate with toys and ribbons and such. 

TTC since 2005. DS via IVF - 02/10 Baby #2 - due 10/16/11
  • Options

We ordered from Wal-Mart. They had duck stuff on the display. All you would have to do is order it or grab one of those--they will write on it for free. I know you said you live in a small town, but so do I and we still can get there with little fuss.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    There is a cake and cupcakes in my bio decorated with little chocolate ducks I made with a wilton candy mold. It was really easy & turned out cute!
  • Options

I would go for making it your self.  Just dont stress over it, because it isnt worth it. You and your mom are probably the only people who will really remember what the cake looked like anyway. And there are already so many things to worry about during pregnancy.

Just have fun with it and I am sure it will turn out great!

BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

We're doing cupcakes in the theme color

If you're comfortable making a cake, go for it, but if all else fails, you could make cupcakes with yellow frosting and possibly find little duckie picks to insert.

Good luck!

The Journey of a Thousand Miles begins with One Step.

1998 Ovarian Cancer Survivor. 7 Miscarriages: 6w, 13w2d, 4w2d, 7w4d (DD's twin), 5w. Failed Tubal after c/s (!!): 5w2d, 6w4d

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options
    The grocery store usually has good cakes and they will personalize them.  I wouldn't stress or add to your list of stuff to do by making your own. That's just me.  Not many people even see the cake.  They just eat it once it's cut. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"