High-Risk Pregnancy

GD - Can't get fasting sugar level in range - Tips?

I am newly diagnosed GD and have been on the diet about a week.  My sugars are all good with the exception of my fasting sugar each morning.  My doctor wants to see it no higher than 95 and I am consistently 100-105.

Just curious if anyone has experience with this and if there was a way to alter my evening snack to try and help.

I have been doing ice cream with a piece of string cheese or sf choc pudding and string cheese as I am limited to 2 carbs/1 protein at bed.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: GD - Can't get fasting sugar level in range - Tips?

• My fasting numbers were too high, too.  Someone one here mentioned eating something in the middle of the night to keep the numbers level.  It sounded crazy, but I tried it and my fasting numbers have been normal since. 

My bedtime snack has been hot chocolate and 1/2 of a high-protein granola bar.  I eat the other 1/2 of the granola bar in the middle of the night when I get up for the bathroom.  It's actually been working for me, so I'm going to continue!

• I have 5 whole wheat crackers with either cheddar cheese or peanut butter at night.  It helped to lower my number but still not enough and my doc would up putting me a glyuberide to help get it under control.  Ever since I started taking it and eating that snack my numbers are usually under 90 in the mornings. 

• Loading the player...
  • My fasting levels started to raise for a period and I started taking a walk after dinner and added some additional protein to the snack to slow down absorption.  That seemed to work and they have been back down ever since.  I cannot tolerate sugar or artificial sweetners at all and the foods that cause high numbers for me seem to be increasing (I am almost 36 weeks).  I might also try changing your snack to a lower glycemic carb and higher protein and see if that helps.
  • I agree with pp on the lower glycemic carb. I do a string cheese and small apple or grapes. 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • Increasing my exercise lowered all of my numbers.
  • this is my 2nd week being dx GD and my fasting numbers have always been 115ish. Always. I was told it was out of my hands - that it was a result of the hormones and placenta (all other numbers are fine with diet). They put my on a small dosage of insulin at bedtime starting last night and it did drop but only to 105... I think I may try the middle of the night snack. Never even thought of that and lord knows I get up enough to pee!!

click the pic (blog)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagesuperaunt:

I think I may try the middle of the night snack. Never even thought of that and lord knows I get up enough to pee!!

I really wasn't sure about it, but it works for me.  Whoever suggested it actually suggested OJ or milk, but that would require me to go downstairs in the middle of the night and I'm just too lazy for that.  That's why I go with the 1/2 granola bar.  It can just sit on my nightstand!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"