Houston Babies

Totally overwhelmed with creating a registry

We have been looking through Baby Bargains for some time now, and just looking at car seats and strollers in general. I went to the BRU registry checklist and feel completely overwhelmed. I don?t like shopping in general, so I have a pretty short capacity for looking at everything. DH on the other hand could shop for hours on end. I can't get over how much stuff there is for babies. And I have no idea what we really need and the quantity of items to get. For example, how many items of clothing in how many sizes do we need? I have no idea. I assume that our baby will be at least 8 lbs (runs in the family) so I figure I can skip the newborn clothes. I am also confused by the infant care seat/convertible car seat. When do they need a new car seat? Some places say in a few months, others say at a year. I am sure we will figure it all out, but I get so confused I just don't want to look at it. Any advice on what we really need is appreciated!

Dx: PCOS and short luteal phase
18 cycles (3 with our RE) - Metformin + Clomid + HCG booster did the trick!
BFP #1 6/22/09 EDD: 3/2/10 DS born: 3/8/10

TTC #2 since Dec 2011
BFP #2 7/8/12 EDD: 3/18/12 M/C @ 9w1d: 8/16/12

Re: Totally overwhelmed with creating a registry

• The infant seat is used from birth until they outgrow the weight limit or hieght limit. This is all dependent on how big/fast your baby grows. K was only in the infant seat for 6 months. Some people choose to skip the infant and go straight to convertible. This could work for some people but there is really an ease to having the infant seat.

As far as newborn clothes, it couldn't hurt to buy a few pieces just in case. Some babies can fit into things but not match the weight ratios on the clothing. You don't want to have to run out and buy NB pieces if the baby is swimming in 0-3. At the very least have them on hand and you can return if they are too small. It couldn't hurt to wash one and take it to the hospital with you.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We had a carrier and 3 bases up to the age of 7-8 months.  We would just carry her in her carrier when she was little.  Around 7-8 months, she just got really heavy, and so we decided to get car seats for each car. 
    Lisa. mommy to Emmy and Ally image
  • Loading the player...
  • I wouldn't assume that you don't need NB clothing.  DS was 7lb 7oz and he wore NB for about a month.  I didn't think I really would need any either but it was nice to have.  DS is still in his carrier.  We got the Graco Snug Ride 32 or something like that and he can be in that until 32lbs and 32" which could be a few years.  We already have the convertible car seats for both cars so I doubt he will be in it that long but that is what it is rated for. It is already getting too heavy to really carry him around in. 

As far as registering I used the BRU items as a guide but there is also a lot of stuff I don't feel is needed.  Things you will need is a thermometer, sheets, towels, face cloths, diapering stuff, nail clippers etc.  I wouldn't worry about registering for any clothing or blankets because you are going to get these items no matter what.

• It is overwhelming!  I agree.  I actually went to the store and walked up and down the aisles one at a time.  Then I came home and looked online at what I'd picked.  It was much easier that way.

Don't register or buy a lot of bottles until you know what LO will like.  We picked out a small box (like 3 bottles )of each brand (Playtex drop in, Avent & Dr. Browns) and we'll try from there.  We're also not going to pre-buy a lot of diapers in case I end up with 787 Huggies and he pees out of them.

I'm expecting a bigger kid, but we are keeping the few NB things we got.  We don't have a ton of them so I figure (based on posts on the 3rd tri board) that he will wear them for at least a few weeks, if not a month or so.

I really used Baby Bargains for the car seat choice & stroller.  We got the Chicco Keyfit 30 and we're getting an extra base.  We picked out a Snap-n-Go stroller for the first few months and the Baby Jogger City Mini for the rest of the time.  LOVE it.

• It is very overwhelming and a TON of work.  I did mine online over the course of several days.  I used the BRU feature to help me out with creating the registry (like you click on highchair and then it brings up all the highchairs, etc.) and I just did a several sections each day.  I also highlighted things in the Baby Bargains book I wanted and immediately added those.  I went and walked through the store and scanned in some things I knew I wanted.

As far as clothing goes, we got a few newborn things and I am going to keep them since I have read that you may need them for a month or so.  I initially was going to skip the NB clothes but the more I read, I realized I may need at least a few things.  I have read that Carter's runs pretty true to size and that Gerber's runs REALLY small.  Old Navy I have also read runs a little smaller (I have some Old Navy 0-3 month things that I have a feeling will fit a newborn).

As far as the infant/convertible seat, we are going with an infant carrier.  It seems they are safer for infants and more convenient so you don't have to wake a sleeping baby every time you take it in and out of the car.  We got the Graco SnugRide 32.  I actually chose one that BRU didn't carry.  I am borrowing 2 extra bases and a Snap N Go from a friend.  We also got the Baby Jogger Stroller with the car seat adapter to use.  Definitely check out strollers in the store.  I found a better selection at the Baby furniture Stores than at BRU since I knew we didn't want a traditional travel system.  Too bulky for me.

• The bump has a good list of items to register for, I would recommend a pack n play and a swing. We have the chicco infant car seat and stroller and love it! Don't assume that you will have an 8lb baby just because it runs in your family I was told at 38 weeks that my baby was at least 8 lbs but when he was born at 39 weeks he was only 6 lbs and my mom had to go out and buy him nb clothes because we did not have any. Carter's makes side snap shirts that are awesome and so easy to put on and take off and the buttons do not rub against their umbilical cords. 
  • Thanks for all of the great feedback! I will definitely be taking your advice.

Dx: PCOS and short luteal phase
    18 cycles (3 with our RE) - Metformin + Clomid + HCG booster did the trick!
    BFP #1 6/22/09 EDD: 3/2/10 DS born: 3/8/10

TTC #2 since Dec 2011
    BFP #2 7/8/12 EDD: 3/18/12 M/C @ 9w1d: 8/16/12

• Someone from the 3rd Tri board posted this last week or the week before.  I think it is helpful.

https://thewholemommything.blogspot.com/2009/10/necessities-round-up.html

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Do not register for clothes!  You will get a ton from showers (people like to buy them!).  And if you still need a few items, you can get them after they are born.

What I did is I sent out an email to all of my "mommy" friends and I said "let me know what you liked and what was hype" - then everyone sent me a few recs and I took the email to BRU and just started scanning away!  lol. 

In the end, I figured out that all of the stuff is the same - it just has a different theme.  So, don't get stressed about about not having the "right" toy,etc. - whatever you choose will work just fine!

Also, reviews on BRU helped me out - and the BRU packet you get gives you a checklist of what you should register for, so you don't miss anything. GL!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"