Adoption

I just want to say

Thanks! I am an adopted child and can say that it is one of the biggest and most generous gifts I have ever received in my life. It takes a strong couple to take this leap. This thread always touches my heart. Keep fighting the good fight. If any of you ever have any questions about what it's like to be an adoptee let me know. I'll be happy to answer.

Re: I just want to say

• awww...so sweet!  Were you adopted dometically or from fostercare or from another country?
  • Fostercare from a different country.
  • Loading the player...
  • do you have any contact with your birthparents? when did you find out you were adopted?

thanks for sharing!

After 7 years of marriage and 5 unsuccessful IVFs, we have been granted the gift of adopting a baby boy, born 4/21/11.
  • I had an open adoption. My father died one month to the day before I was born and my mother is MIA. My parents are caucasian and I am very hispanic so I always knew.
  • What are some of your feeling about your adoption??
  • As an adult I am completely at peace with it. As a teenager? That was another story entirely. I was given up for adoption due to my mother not being able to provide for me. This was a very selfless thing for her to do. However, I couldn't help but feel very lost. I felt like a fake. My (adoptive) parents are amazing people. They are very loving and very patient so it was never a question of what they did wrong. It was just that I had a hard time adjusting. Being a teenager is awkward as is and adding adoption in the mix can really make it hard. I was adopted at the age of 14 months old and never had a problem with it until I hit puberty. I knew I couldn't go back and look for my mom. But I also knew that it was hard knowing that the people around me knew where they came from. You would be amazed at what an impact not knowing the little things about your family can make on a person. Good or bad I wanted to know but could not and would not ever know. It took a boarding school, a very good therapist and a few years on my own to clear my head and let go of all the anger and hurt. Please don't let me scare you as not every adoptee handles it this poorly. My brother (also adopted) never had a problem with it. To him it was never an issue. I'll be happy to tell you more if you want.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"