Multiples

What kind of Doc ?

In the posts below I see references to MFM and Perinatologist. Forgive me for sounding stupid, but what are the differences between them and a regular Ob?  What is MFM? How do you know who you should be going to ?

No one has ever mentioned to me to go to anything other than an Ob.

My regular Ob has not said anything about it.

Thanks.

image Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Re: What kind of Doc ?

• Im not exactly sure what mfm is but Im going to guess maternal/fetal medicine (or something of the sort).

I originally went to the peri for my NT scan and that is where we found the twins.  The peri is for high risk and now Im going to be going to both the ob and the peri.  OB for regular check ups, and the peri for growth scans.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • My OB never brought it up either.  I asked for a referral to a perinatologist because of the recommendation in Dr. Luke's book.  Boy, it was like pulling teeth to get that referral!  My OB thought they were equipped to handle it on their own. 

I am SO glad we went for a consult with the peri.  He did an NT scan that day because there is a link between NT results and TTTS (which was a worry for us because we have identicals).  We also went to him for our 20 week ultrasound, which made me feel much better to know that an expert was looking (he actually performed it himself after the tech took measurements).  In general, he is just much more knowledgeable about multiples.  I go to an OB practice that has several docs, and I just never feel like I get as much one-on-one caring attention there.

Assuming all goes well with the remainder of my pregnancy, I won't see the peri again... but it's really nice to know that he's available and got us off to a good start.

• Loading the player...
  • Thanks for answering this. I think I did go to a perinatologist but just didn't know thats what it was, when I went for my NT scan.
    image Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I was sent to an MFM (maternal fetal medicine doctor that specializes in care for the babies in utero--some do delivery as well and are sometimes called high risk OBs, some just focus on the babies and work with an OB.  I think Peri's and MFMs are similar but MFM might be a more contemporary term??) when they were concerned that our identical twins were mo/mo (they weren't) and then again when they noticed their fluid was off and they might have Twin-to-Twin transfusion. 

At first, I was going to continue with my OB, who I really liked as a gyno, and see the MFM in conjunction.  However, as things began to progress with our TTTS it became obvious that my OB just was not the right place for us--I felt I was always needing to explain things to him and others in the practice instead of the other way around.  I think he would be great for a singleton pregnancy or even an uneventful di/di twin pregnancy, but we needed someone with more experience with our particular situation and I asked to be referred to the MFM for full OB as well.  He was very nice about it and I was relieved that he handled it so professionally.  I think it really depends on your pregnancy and your doctors as to what the right combo is for you.

• I'm not exactly sure the difference between a MFM and a peri is.  I only know I am seeing a MFM because that is the title on their appointment card lol

I started seeing the MFM at 20 weeks and will see them every 6 weeks until the end. 26 weeks, 32 weeks, 34 weeks and possibly once more at 37 weeks.

In my case (not sure about anyone else) it seems like my OB is taking care of ME and my health, where the MFM is taking care of the babies health.

I did have my very first U/S at the OBs office, but their machines are pretty basic.  Now, my OB appointments are just blood pressure, urine check, weight and a basic "how are you feeling".  They last about 15 mins.

My MFM appointments have been 10-15 min U/S scans checking on the babies growth, placenta, fluid levels, etc.

I know some multiples moms who ONLY say their OB, some who only saw a peri, and some who saw both. Its def something you can discuss with your OB.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"