Missouri Babies

KC OB who is pro natural birth?

Hi!  We are close to trying to conceive #1 and I really would like to try to have a natural birth, possibly even with a doula - can any local ladies offer advice or referrals?

Thanks in advance!

Re: KC OB who is pro natural birth?

• Our ob (Julie Ann Moore at St. Luke's on the Plaza) was great.  I was very pro natural birth and she did not try to sway me one bit. 

Also we started with Ann Smith since we do NFP...and she seems the type to also be supportive of the patient's wishes.  We switched bc she was all the way out at Olathe Medical center and we moved to Waldo...she is now at 119th and Metcalf, but I am not sure where she delivers. 

And with the Doula...my prenatal yoga teacher is also a doula and if she is anything like in the classroom, she would be great in the delivery room.  She is totally knowledgeable about natural births, so she would even be a good resource for finding an OB.  Her name is Ashley and she teaches out at Darling Yoga in OP.  ashley@mamayoga.net

• I'm using Jill Feurt, she's a certified nurse midwife at For Women Only.  We haven't had baby yet, but so far we've been really happy with Jill and she seems to be supportive of our desire for a natural birth.
  • Loading the player...
  • Good for you, starting this hunt early!!  I wish I had thought through that before selecting my OB....Now, here I am at 30 wks pregnant looking for a new OB. 

Everyone I've talked to has highly recommended going the Certified Nurse Midwife (CNM) route if you're wanting to go natural.  I have heard great things about Jeane Ward and Lee Allison Voi from friends and girls in my yoga class.  I haven't met with either yet, but I'm looking forward to having a doctor who has more time for me during our appointments and who is much more supportive of low intervention, natural birthing.  I was a little hestitant about the whole nurse vs. doctor thing, but what I'm finding is that all of the midwives around here are connected with OB's should any problems arise that they cannot handle.  That made me feel a lot better, so I'm pretty sure I'm going to go the CNM route for the remainder of my pregnancy/childbirth.

I'm also going with a doula to help me achieve the natural birth I want--the same lady the previous poster mentioned.  Ashley is a WEALTH of knowledge on the topic of natural childbirth--she has had FOUR children of her own!!  Good luck with your choice!!

• HI there!

Good for you for wanting to go natural!

We had a wonderful OB who was previously a Bradley Method Instructor.  However, she's no longer practicing here (don't get me started on how sad I am!) But I would second the rec of Jeanne Ward...I liked her.

I would also highly recommend Bradley Method classes...they were a great help!

Also, Olathe Med is known for being a lot more supportive of natural birth.  And we used Heather Berry for our doula and she was absolutely wonderful!! 

Check out kcdoulas.org

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"