Pennsylvania Babies

Nursing bra

So...do you really need to buy special nursing bras or can't you just use front closure bras? I mean,  yeah you'll be letting lose both boobs, but unless you are in public, does it really matter?  There are just some things I guess I don't feel like spending the money on when I can use something I can use again in normal life. Same for a sports bra. Why does it have to snap down to let the boob out? Why not just flip it up?

Is there really a big difference? Same thing with maternity underwear. Why not just buy a size or two larger of regular?  Wouldn't that be cheaper and you'd get more wear out of it than spending $ on maternity specific panties?

As you can tell, I'm looking for short cuts or have done shortcuts to save money since we've been paying for everything...medical/Dr/etc. out of pocket. Same goes for baby. Anything people said you had to have, but you found everyday alternatives?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Nursing bra

• You could always start out with a sleep bra for nursing.  I started with those and a nursing tank since they were less expensive and comfortable.  They're looser/stretchier which helped when I was severely engorged.  I couldn't have used a front closure bra.  I leaked from the side I wasn't nursing from so I needed something that was going to hold a nursing pad there.  Otherwise it would have been even messier (breastmilk is sticky).  I needed my hands free to hold my breast/his head so I couldn't have held a nursing pad/burp cloth there.  A loose sports bra may work but make sure it's not too tight... that can cause issues such as clogged ducts, etc.

As for things we could have lived without:

mittens (we used baby socks)
    lap pads (we never used them)
    tummy time mat (we used it but didn't absolutely need it)
    crib soothers (like the aquarium, etc.  We have one but he's not into it.  Some babies are though)
    a million hats
    bumbo (we used it but for such a short time period)
    You could use pillows instead of a boppy but we love our boppy.

I'm sure there's a lot more but every baby & family is different.  

{Blog}
    TTC since Jan 07. Dx with PCOS Jan 08 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • ITA agree about the maternity underware.  I just bought my normal underware a size up. 

I didn't nurse for very long, but I EP'ed for few months, and even then I found the nursing bras and nursing tanks convenient.   I got the nursing tanks at Target and Wal-Mart and they weren't that expensive, and I did "splurge" on the nursing bras (2), but I actually bought them when I was 5-6 months pregnant, so I feel I got my money out of them. 

• Loading the player...
  • I thought the same way you did.  Why the heck would you need a special bra to feed your kid -- you can just hike your shirt and bra up, right?

Then I had a baby and went to Target to buy nursing bras (2) and tanks (2) shortly after DS was born.

I used a sports bra at first and still do occasionally, but the ease of the snap down panel is simply UNRIVALED.  One hand nursing can't be beat.  I can't stand trying to shove my boob back UP into a sports bra after feeding (while burping an infant), and the bra puts a lot of pressure on the top of my boob while I'm nursing.  Kind of the flat pancake effect.

Today is my first day back at work part-time, and I even went out and bought two more nursing bras last week.  That way I have a "fresh" one each day for work.  The time savings and ease of use has become so worth the cost.

• Thanks ladies!

Part of my issue with buying the nursing bra is I don't think I'll be able to get one at places like target and Walmart. I can't even find regular bras there in my current size. So I'm kinda stuck paying more just to go to a department or maternity store, which sucks.  And i guess that you mention it, a front closure bra is usually more the demi style so not only could stuff come out the side, the whole boob might just pop out the front when full.

Poo..more stuff to buy. I was just telling Dh I think I'm going to need some more PJ or yoga type pant bottoms. Thats all i wear at home and only put on "real" pants when I leave the house for groceries,etc since I don't work since moving to TX. I've been wearing the ones I've had up until now....draw string and elastic waist... but most are really starting to get uncomfortable. Looks like I have some shopping for me in the near future.

• imageRaeAnt:

Part of my issue with buying the nursing bra is I don't think I'll be able to get one at places like target and Walmart. I can't even find regular bras there in my current size. So I'm kinda stuck paying more just to go to a department or maternity store, which sucks.  And i guess that you mention it, a front closure bra is usually more the demi style so not only could stuff come out the side, the whole boob might just pop out the front when full.

This was my biggest issue with nursing bras with both kids - they're impossible to find in any normal stores in my size:( I ordered a ton online to try a bunch and my favorites have been the cheapest from Walmart - I was so thankful for that since my other options were all over $50 EACHTongue Tied

• I was just thinking Walmart MIGHT have them. My issue since being pg hasn't been cup size, thought I did go up, it has been my band size. At Target, I couldn't find anything over 38. Unfortunately, I currently need a 40.

I'll have to see what I can find next time we hit WM.

• When you say you can't buy nursing bras at the cheaper stores, is it because they're on the bigger side? If so, I'm a DD and I got a few cheapies at Target and I had one very good nursing bra that I got from an actual underwear store.

However, because they're so big, I was actually able to wear a regular bra and just hike one out and over the cup. This wasn't at first though, it was at the point where we both really had the hang of it. So if you're big enough to handle that trick, you might be in luck!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"