Birth Stories

Joshua's birth story (Longer than planned!)

I went for my 37 week appointment and was measuring at 32 weeks. Doctor didn't seem too concerned, but I was!

Went for my BPP with NST on Thursday, Oct 1st. As soon as the tech measured the fluid, she said, "Oh. This isn't good." Well, needless to say, I was concerned. They called my OB and sent me up for the NST. He looked great on the NST but my fluid was measuring 3.8 and should  have been at 5. After the NST, my Dr took me into an L&D room and checked my progress. I was 1cm dilated. He told me that we would induce that night or risk losing the baby. He let me go home to get my things and I was back at 7:30pm.

About 8pm, they started the Cervadil and I tried to get some rest. I didn't sleep for more than 20 minutes at a time! I had an upper respiratory infection and coughed all the time!

By 8am on October 2nd, they started the Pitocin. I had dilated (thanks to the Cervadil) to 2cm. Labor was pretty non eventful until I started getting really bad back labor and had to have my epi at about 1pm.

Got the epi and felt great for a little while then needed an extra shot. That lasted for about 45 minutes but it just didn't take care of the back labor. (Back labor sucks big time!) At 2:30pm, they checked me and I was at 6cm. The nurse and I decided we would have a baby about 5pm.

At 3:10pm, I told them it was time. I had to push! The head was crowning. So much for 5pm! DH was nowhere to be found! He had gone to get something to eat! They went into the waiting room and told my MIL to call him because he was needed NOW!

Just as DH was coming into the room, I was saying there was no way we were waiting for him, I had to push! I got into position, pushed twice, had a coughing fit, pushed 2 more times and Joshua was born!

He arrived at 3:18pm on October 2nd weighing in at 5 lbs 9oz and was 18 1/4 inches long. He is the most perfect baby. He only cries to wake me up for a bottle. He doesn't even cry when he's wet or dirty!  

I was due on October 18th and had scheduled an induction for October 13th. They said I was probably dehydrated from being so sick for so long and that's why my fluid was low. I was a little worried about having him at 37 1/2 weeks, but he is doing great. I took him for his 2 week appointment with the pediatrician and he had gained a pound! He eats like a champ! I am so in love! 

ETA: the baby weight does come off! I am 3 weeks out and now weigh 5 lbs less than I did when I got pregnant with my almost 6 year old. (that's about 20 lbs)

Re: Joshua's birth story (Longer than planned!)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"