Birth Stories

My very fast, drug free delivery BUT painful recovery

Hi Ladies! Evan Blake arrived on 10/11/09 7lbs. 20 inches. I went into labor (1 day before my due date) around 5:00PM with back pains and minor cramping. By 6:00pm I called the Dr. and my contractions were 5 minutes apart. We got to the hospital by 7:00 and I was already 5cm dilated! I requested an epidural but 20 minutes later when the Dr. checked me I was already between 7-8cm. He broke my water but it was too late for the epidural. Within 10 minutes I had the urge to push and everything happened so fast. Right before his head popped out I felt the worst pain ever in my pubic bone area. It felt like someone was peeling back my pubic bone. Right after labor my back stared to spasm and I could not move or walk. I was diagnosed with Diastatis Pubis which is a seperation of the pubic bones-OUCH! The seperation causes back spasms. Luckily I do not need surgery and Evan is healthy but have a long recovery ahead of me. Basically Evan came so quickly and I has such a short labor that my body did not have time to adjust. GL to you all!

Re: My very fast, drug free delivery BUT painful recovery

• Wow! Congratulations! I hope that you have a fast recovery!!!
  • Loading the player...
  • Congrats. 

Oh no!  I feel your pain - same thing happened to me. I don't know if you feel your OB was helpful regarding your injury, but mine were like, "Wow how unusual, that sucks. Take it easy, you'll be fine. Wear this pelvic binder."

Not sufficient, at all. When my pelvis came together it did not return to normal, one side was higher than the other. So after 6 months I was still having a lot of pain during and after walking (forget working out!) sex was unbearable because I could not spread my legs, etc, etc. So I saw a really good chiro and he had to relax the tendons (ouch) to allow the symphysis to realign and then he worked on my hips, back, etc. All these things that had developed to protect and compensate for the injury. It took about 20 visits over 3 months to get me up and running. He said that I should have gone in at like 2mos pp and he could have helped it heal correctly. I highly suggest you ask around about good chiros and see if you can find one with any experience with this injury. 

So, do take it easy! Wear that binder (even though it is a huuuuge PITA to get on and off) Try to sit flat on your butt and keep both feet even on the ground - like don't put one leg in the car first, sit first then swing your legs in. 

Good luck.  

• congratulations and I wish you a healthy and speedy recovery
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"