Health & Exercise
Options

stopped exercising/running after bfp...ok to start again?

i ran a lot before getting pregnant--ran maybe about 20 miles a week and also used the elliptical on my off-running days. so needless to say, i was in good shape. however, getting pregnant was very difficult for me--i had no periods after getting off bcp a year and a half ago. because of this, i went to an infertility doctor, who believes that i wasn't ovulating because i exercised too much and had a low bmi (i'm 103 pounds and my bmi is about 18). my doctor told me to cut my exercise drastically and put me on injectible medication. i got my bfp from injectibles and IUI.

since my bfp (i'm about 6w), i've been terrified to exercise. i went from exercising/running every day to NADA. i come home and basically sleep because i'm so fatigued.

i guess my question is this--do you think i should start exercising again, and if so, how much? i don't think i'm willing to do as much as i did pre-pregnancy, just because i don't want to jeopardize anything, but i'm really sad about not working out. what are your thoughts? should i maybe go on the elliptical a few times a week? should i wait until i'm out of the 1st trimester to start, or would that be too late to get back into the groove of things?

Re: stopped exercising/running after bfp...ok to start again?

• Options
    I would definitely ask your doctor about intensity, but I don't think its too late to get back into things.  I was not a serious exerciser pre-pregnancy, but I was in decent shape.  However, during first tri, like you, I did absolutely nothing because I was so sick and tired.  I've just recently started hitting the gym again doing walking on the treadmill with a slight incline.  I definitely get a workout, but its light.  I can still talk and I'm definitely not dripping with sweat.  I plan to keep doing this a few times a week until I deliver.  HTH!!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Your doc can give you guidelines, like what range to keep your pulse in when you work out and things like that to help you moderate your exercise and stay healthy and pregnant.

Don't blame the fatigue on lack of exercise, though.  That's baby's fault!  Progesterone knocks you out.  So even if you can exercise you might find you are so tired you don't want to until 12-16 weeks when the progesterone starts to level back off and you enter your 2nd trimester.

But as always, I'd say ask your doctor.  Make them aware of your pre-pg exercise levels and issues with getting pg so they know why you are concerned. I'm sure they've seen it before and can give good advice.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Definitely start exercising. Exercise is good for you AND the baby. Back off on the intensity and do some strength training - wall pushups and lunges and squats (don't go below parallel). You will need strength for labor!
  • Options

I also stopped exercising after I got bfp at about 6 weeks, I was just too tired to do anything.  I only started again at about 13 weeks but not nearly at the same intensity.  I gradually have been getting back into it and started doing preggie yoga.

I feel so much better once I have exercised!

• Options
    Definitely get back into it! Exercise is excellent not only for you, but the baby. I ran 5x/week with DD#1...even the day I was sent in to deliver & am doing the same with this one. I run anywhere from 30-40 minutes 5-6 days a week & do weights a few times as well. The HR guidelines are way outdated by the way.
  • Options

Definately talk to your doctor but in general just start out slow and see how your feel.  I agree with pp that the HR guidelines are very outdated but do make sure not to overheat yourself.

I run 3 or 4 days a week and go to the gym a few days as well.  It makes me feel so much better about myself and helps relieve all my aches and pains.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I did the same thing and still am not where I would like re exercise. And I did ask my doc. yes, the HR guidelines are outdated. My OB's recommendation was that I listen to my body and do what feels ok, also to stop if dizzy or really unwell feeling, and finally to not exercise before seeing him if there is any spotting or bleeding. Oh, and to keep well hydrated.

Good luck! I wish I had started back at 6 weeks - it would have been so much easier than waiting until 2nd trimester. 

2012 Races: Mar 24: Great Human Race 5K. April 28: 5K for Fitness
  • Options

I would talk to your doctor first...but I am sure that light exercise will be fine.

Even just walking for 30 minutes may boost your mood

TTC #1 since 4/2007... MFI (low motility/low Testosterone) & PCOS IVF #1 August 2010...BFP 1st sono shows TWINS!!!! Due May 23rd 2011 Ruptured @ 21 weeks (Jan 13) Delivered 26 weekers (Blake and Addison) on Valentine's Day... Keeping faith and praying, God has a plan and we just have to learn to follow. Our Blog ... ourvalentinesdaysurprise.blogspot.com Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options

As long as your doctor approves it, you should definitely start exercising again. The guidelines for exercise during pregnancy (ACOG and ACSM) say that you can continue do whatever you did before you got pregnant, as long as it is safe (there are a few activities that you should avoid) and you have approval from your doctor, so if you want to keep running you can keep doing that. You should probably not run as long and as much, and you need to make sure to compensate for all the calories burned during the run in addition to the extra calories you need to consume because you are pregnant ? especially since you didn?t weight that much to begin with. Also, make sure to start back up gradually again since you haven?t exercised for some weeks now. And make sure to hydrate and not run in hot and humid weather. Also, know the warning signs (see my website) for when to stop exercising and contact your doctor when exercising during pregnancy! I myself ran until the end of my pregnancy with my first child, and I loved it, but every woman and pregnancy is different. As far as how intense you should work out, it is recommended to stay within 11-13 on the Borg scale of perceived exertion (see my website) which is Fairly light (walking for most people)  to moderately hard. You can always test yourself with the talk test ? if you can keep a conversation while exercising you are good, but if you cannot you might be working too hard ? you should listen to your body.

If you want to take it easier, you can always walk, do recumbent stationary biking, prenatal water classes etc ? I would say, do what make you feel good. It is however good do some strengthening exercises for your upper back, abdominals (as long as you don't develope diastasis recti), legs and arms to prepare you for what to come ? but make sure to keep the weights light with more reps. Also make sure to breathe ? exhaling during the hard phase and NEVER hold your breath. You can check out my website for some tips for exercising during pregnancy at www.sweatfitness.net. It is very important for you however to talk to your doctor, and get approval before starting to exercise again!

Good luck with your exercise, and your pregnancy!

Mia

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"