Birth Stories

VBAC- Timeframe between kids

I'm attempting a vbac this pregnancy.  My OB's are rather supportive.

I was getting a sonogram this morning and the tech freaked out... wondering why they would let me attempt a vbac when it has been less than 2 years since I had a c/s. She said that typically 5 years needed to pass.

I think she's crazy but I was wondering if anyone else has heard that such and such amount of time needs to pass before attempting a vbac??

Married my best friend on 5/14/05
Three Girls: Bits 2/08  Biscuit 10/09 & Sweet Chuck 2/12
One Favorite son: Suishy Smalls 6/14
And another Princess coming 7/16

Re: VBAC- Timeframe between kids

• techs really should stick to what they know.

The current data suggest that there's no significant risk profile difference (all else being equal) for any woman with an interdelivery interval greater than 18 months.

Most of the more conservative doctors/MWs will tell you two years.  

• Mine will be 27 months, but research has supported anything over 18 months.  The tech has no idea what she is talking about. 
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers image image
  • Loading the player...
  • My MW is willing to discuss the idea of VBAC with me, but she said she is a little concerned since I had only 12 months between pregnancies- she said standard they like to see is 18 months between. Def never heard of 5 years!
  • My OB said he prefers a minimum of 18 months between deliveries but will consider 12 months based on your history and how well you healed.  Don't let the tech freak you out.  Your OB is the one who went to med school and actually delivers babies.
  • I would just go with what your OB said they are the ones who deliver babies all the time. And good luck!

____________________________________________________________________________
                          My sweet Rylee girl 8-13-2007 and my sweet Emmett man 4-13-2010
                               Annaleigh Willow Elise born and passed at 26 weeks 1 day
                                      Thursday October 17th 2013 from trisomy 13
                                           Http://Alwaysannaleigh.WordPress.com

• she doesn't know much about vbacs. the timeframe is one full year before getting pg again.
  • wow i've never heard 5 yrs inbetween pregnancies for a vbac!!!! 

my docs all said 12-18months between deliveries which means we could start trying 3mo after giving birth by c-section. 

we're 4mo post c-section now and starting to TTC again.  and i will attempt a vbac.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic 8.15.07 NATHAN 6.13.09 - 6.14.09 WYATT born 32w3d Gone too soon, RIP. 4.21.10 BFP - missed m/c - D&C on 5.27.10. 1.31.11 BFP - 1st cycle IUI + Follistim + Trigger (2 mature follies)Beta 1 @ 13dpiui: 199 Beta 2 @ 15dpiui: 527 10.7.11 ELIANA(Ellie)ROSE (39w3d)Team Green turned Team Pink - VBAC & ALL NATURAL 6lbs 11oz 19 &1/2in
  • imageD*sMayBride:
    she doesn't know much about vbacs. the timeframe is one full year before getting pg again.

Not true - no one has a problem with me VBACing and I got pregnant 3 months before my daughter turns 1

• My kiddos are 24 months and 2 days apart. Dr had NO problem w/ VBAC. Sounds like a stupid made up rule a dr would use to say he does VBACs but would cut his eligible patients to almost no one.

• I have read a few different statistics, but NEVER 5 years.  She has no idea WTH she's talking about.  I have seen an interpregnancy interval of anywhere from 9 to 18 months, or an interdelivery interval of 18/19 to 24 months all recommended.  My OB advised we wait 18 months before TTC again, which is what we were planning anyway. 

Check this out if you'd like.  The titles of the studies with the authors are at the end of the article.  This thing is very informative for VBAC patients, IMO.  https://www.acog.org/acog_districts/dist9/pb054.pdf

Wife, mom, Ob/Gyn resident
    Sarah - 12/23/2008
    Alex - 9/30/2011

"I say embrace the total geek in yourself and just enjoy it. Life is too short to be cool." - Shirley Manson, Garbage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"