South Florida Babies

if you're delivering at South Miami/Baptist (or nurses in the maternity ward!!)

Have you heard anything about visitors or siblings visitng the maternity ward?  A lot of western states are not allowing anyone but the DH in, n ot even the siblings.  I was on the Baptist website the other day and it didn't say anything at all.  It still said that siblings were allowed and 4 visitors, not including DH, were allowed.  I'm just wondering if you've heard anything! 

Re: if you're delivering at South Miami/Baptist (or nurses in the maternity ward!!)

• Eli was able to visit us at SMH.  I haven't heard otherwise.  Baptist/South Miami do not have any limitations on visitors - they don't even have specific visiting hours..you are allowed to visit your loved one anytime. Not sure on how many can be in the room at the same time though.
  • When I had Graciela at Baptist this past February, Cedric was allowed to visit us in the hospital, and he wasn't even 2 yet.  I don't know the limit of people--I only had my sister, DH and Cedric there.
  • Loading the player...
  • A lot of hospitals are changing policies due to swine flu. You might want to just call and ask if they have changed anything.
  • Its funny that you ask this. Just last week they started the policy at Baptist (not sure about South Miami) that during flu season no visitors under 18 are allowed, this includes siblings. So yea we have had some pretty pissed off families whose other kids couldn't see their new brother/sister. But hey, we have to protect our newborns and preggers so I'm all for it. We have had some scary cases these past few months. -j
  • I had Alexis at south miami and at that time they were pretty strict with visiting hours - I don't remember what they were, I think 11am - 9pm.  4 visitors allowed at a time, not including husbands, so a total of 5.  I don't know the rules for siblings though.  Things could definitely be different now with the swine flu. 

image image

• imageRNjack:
    Its funny that you ask this. Just last week they started the policy at Baptist (not sure about South Miami) that during flu season no visitors under 18 are allowed, this includes siblings. So yea we have had some pretty pissed off families whose other kids couldn't see their new brother/sister. But hey, we have to protect our newborns and preggers so I'm all for it. We have had some scary cases these past few months. -j

Although I'll be upset not to see my DD for a couple of days, I can totally see how this is important. It's scary to have possibly sick kids coming in to the maternity ward. Of course, the adults can carry stuff in too, but I guess you'd hope that if they're sick they'd be nice enough not to show up there.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageRNjack:
    Its funny that you ask this. Just last week they started the policy at Baptist (not sure about South Miami) that during flu season no visitors under 18 are allowed, this includes siblings. So yea we have had some pretty pissed off families whose other kids couldn't see their new brother/sister. But hey, we have to protect our newborns and preggers so I'm all for it. We have had some scary cases these past few months. -j

thanks, jackie, this is exactly what i wanted to know.  I'm delivering at Baptist, but I'm not due until March, so who knows what the protocols/policies will be then, right?  I'm not going to stress about it, I just couldn't find anything on the website!!

• oh man, and I already had H1N1 while pregnnat, so I can't catch it again, anyway!!

• When I went to my OB last time they gave me a flyer with new regulations.  Anyone under the age of 18 including siblings will NOT be allowed in as well as ANYONE else they see coughing, sneezing, etc.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageMrsLeanna:

I had Alexis at south miami and at that time they were pretty strict with visiting hours - I don't remember what they were, I think 11am - 9pm.  4 visitors allowed at a time, not including husbands, so a total of 5.  I don't know the rules for siblings though.  Things could definitely be different now with the swine flu. 

Ditto with Baptist... but that was a year ago...

• Baptist allows siblings
    imageLilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • not anymore, clari :(  not until the H1N1 thing is under control, I suppose.  Read Jackie's post above.
  • i just delivered as SMH and I did see siblings visiting their baby brothers/sisters in other rooms but I'm not sure if they are planning on changing it due to H1N1. And ditto about allowing  4 visitors at a time not including the dad (they are pretty strict on this)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • My friend just delivered this week at SMH - they did not allow anyone under 18 to visit and family only.  We were disappointed we couldn't visit - but understand its for the best.  I guess until the H1N1 thing is under control - rules will have to be changed.
  • These were the rules when I delivered @ Baptist:

1) Your visitors had to be 12 or over.

2) The only visitors under 12 allowed are the siblings of the baby (in other words, your other children).

3) Between 12-18, they have to be accompanied by an adult.

4) Visiting hours are over at 9pm. They were very strict about that.

5) Only one person can stay with you overnight. Very strict about that.

6) You could only have 4 visitors at a time (but that never pans out and the nurses never really say anything).

7) Not sure about the delivery room. I had a c-section, so only my hubby could be in there. But I heard that you can have up to 4 people in the delivery room.

And yes, I would call to find out if new policies are in place due to the swine flu.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"