LGBT Parenting

can we talk flu shots?

Okay, please keep the flames to a minimum... I really do want to do whatever is best for the babies.

I have never gotten the regular flu shot. Ever. Lots of people I know get really sick the first year they get it, which has made me shy away from it. Also, I pretty much never get the flu (I got it *once,* over 8 years ago, but my commute at the time included a 1/2 mile walk in the snow each way).

So of course I am getting a lot of pressure from friends to get the (regular) flu shot this year because I am pregnant. I haven't gotten a shot yet, in part because *none* of my Drs have mentioned it to us (we have seen Drs every 2 weeks-- 2 different OBs and a high-risk doc we see for cervical checks). And from what I can tell via the CDC website and others, the main flu going around this year is H1N1, not the flu that the regular flu shot is supposed to help with. (As a side note, if I'd ever had the regular flu shot in the past, I wouldn't be particularly hesitant to take it this year-- it's just that this would be my first time.)

We do have an appointment with our high-risk doc on Wednesday, and I'll bring it up then, but I'm interested to hear other's opinions on whether or not I should get the regular flu shot (setting aside the H1N1 shot for now). Obviously I want to do what is best for the babies... I'm just having trouble figuring out exactly what that is right now.

(Sorry for the book-length post, and TIA for any thoughts you may have.)

married 03/08/08 -- ttc with PCOS (dx 2005) & DS
IUI #3 gave us the best 2nd anniv. gift ever: 2 babies! (born 03/09/10)
Peanut and Little Man are getting so big! 2 years old already!
finally blogging again at This Will Be: An Adventure

Re: can we talk flu shots?

• To make a long post longer... I should also probably say that I work in an office building and have no regular contact with children or people with young children at home (FWIW).
    married 03/08/08 -- ttc with PCOS (dx 2005) & DS
    IUI #3 gave us the best 2nd anniv. gift ever: 2 babies! (born 03/09/10)
    Peanut and Little Man are getting so big! 2 years old already!
    finally blogging again at This Will Be: An Adventure
  • I'm not getting the flu shot for the exact reasons you mentioned (never had it before, can't remember the last time I had the flu, small office, etc.).

There are always going to be conflicting view points on this, but you have to make the decision you feel is best for you and the babies. 

Maybe I don't have a heightened sense of smell, but I've never smelled any vagina on my pants. -- TSD

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Bloggity Blog - You know you want to...
  • Loading the player...
  • I've been stressing a little about this myself.  C really wants me to get both the flu shot and the h1n1, and they are both offered at our birth center and recommended by my midwife.

But I have never gotten the flu shot before, and do feel a little worried about the h1n1 shot in particular. 

NPR.org has had a couple of good articles on the flu shots, including this one, which is about pregnant women in particular.

C has gotten the flu shot every year and never had the flu. I don't think I have ever had "The Flu," but I am prone to flu-like illnesses (remember my wedding..? lol).  This year, I work in an office with 700 people (no children, but holy crap is that a lotta germs).

I guess what's pushing me towards the vaccines are facts like this (from the NPR article):

Pregnant women make up 6 percent of H1N1-confirmed deaths even though they account for only 1 percent of the population, according to the CDC. They're at least four times as likely to be hospitalized as other flu sufferers.

And I know you're talking about the regular flu shot in particular, but after researching the h1n1 one, it really is just like the regular flu shot, only for that particular strain - it's made in the same way.  As for the regular fly shot, it's been in use for a while now and seems to be safe...

It is really hard to know what is "best" with this I think.  I guess it just comes down to what you and your doc are comfortable with.  While we may worry about the dangers of the vaccine, the flu, which I feel like we (and I mean that universally) dismiss as a run-of-the-mill illness, is very dangerous for pregnant women and our babies.

That was rambly...

Mrs._F
    sahm ~ toddler breastfeeder ~ cloth diaperer ~ baby wearer

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • I'm sure it's a tough decision to make. If you do decide to get the regular flu shot make just be sure it's preservative-free and a "killed" virus version.

• imageDuchess1:

I'm sure it's a tough decision to make. If you do decide to get the regular flu shot make just be sure it's preservative-free and a "killed" virus version.

The live virus version is not offered to pregnant women. Though it is wise to double-check.

Mrs._F
    sahm ~ toddler breastfeeder ~ cloth diaperer ~ baby wearer

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • You need to make your own decision about it but I will give you my two cents.

I got my regular flu shot this year.  I actually usually don't get it but I have a really good immune system (thanks to 13 years of teaching).  I think I may have gotten it once before about 10 years ago.  I felt a little run down the day or two after getting the shot but not sick in anyway.  So if you are concerned about getting sick from it that may help.  Also the regular flu vac is in short supply right now so if you want the shot I would try to get it soon.  Many places are running out. 

I am currently trying to get H1N1 but can't find it yet.  My ob has it but is only giving it to pregnant women.  My regular doc doesn't have it yet and the public health dept doesn't either.  I hope to get it soon.

A note on how these vaccines are produced.  Every year epidemilogists make their best guess on what strains of flu are going to be the donminant strains of the flu.  They take those 3 (I think) strains of the virus and  and manufacture the vaccine for those strains.  Sometimes they guess well sometimes they don't.  That is why you can still get the flu when you get the vac,  if you catch a strain not in that years vac. then you are out of luck. The H1N1 vaccine is prepared in the same way.  Many people think that since the vaccine was prepared quickly that it is less safe than the regular flu vac. but infact it is the same process using a specific strain of the flu that targets H1N1 instead of a shot in the dark as it is with the regular flu shot. 

Vaccines are either live (but modified to be less harmfull) or killed.  They cause your body to have an immune response to the antigens on the surface of the virus thus producing antibodies for that particular virus or bacteria.  Each germ has a very specific antigen on its surface (like a name tag) for every antigen your immune system has a specific antibody that combats it.  They work kind of like a lock and key.  You are born with (although it takes about 9 months for your immune system to be mature completly) an antibody for every possible germ.    When a germ enters your system these antigens are how your body recognizes the germ as an invader.  The matching antibody hooks up the antigen and produces more antibodies which signal your immune system to kill the germ. A vaccine gives you just enough of the antigen to have the immune response but (hopefully) not enough to make you sick.  This allows your immune system to have a stock pile of white blood cells that are made for a particular germ ready and waiting.  If you become infected with the germ after getting the vaccine your body immediatly reccognizes the germ and has the specific wbc to kill it before you get sick.  If you get sick with the vac.  what you are feeling is your immune system reacting to the antigens (germ name tags) on the surface of the germ and getting your immune system fighting the germ. 

Ok sorry that was too long.  Can you tell I love immunolgy???

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Most years I don't put too much energy into getting a flu shot for myself, although my daughter and partner always get them.  This year, I feel strongly that I should get both the regular and H1N1 shots.

I've already received the regular one, and felt pretty proud of myself.  Two rounds of injectables certainly toughened me up for immunizations.

Now I'm waiting on the H1N1 to become avaialble through my OB's office, and it's stressing me out to be in line for such a hard-to-come-by commodity.  It has much more to do with the perceived threat of being left out than being afraid of the illness, but I do feel like a mother lion too... I don't want my little boy to be at risk during the months he cannot be immunized.  That means he needs a fully immunized immediate family.

• I also had never gotten the regular flu shot until this year. My OB never brought it up, but when I asked at my 16 week appointment they said they were highly recommending both seasonal and H1N1 vaccines for their pregnant patients. I also have never gotten the flu before in my life, but felt that I would really regret not getting the vaccine it if I did end up getting the flu this year!

I got the vaccine at my 20 week appointment and felt NO side effects at all. My arm was slightly sore, but I didn't get a fever, aches, nausea or any other flu-like symptoms that I was sure I would get.

It's a very personal decision though-I would go with what you feel most comfortable doing and not worry what others are going to say/think. People think pregnant women want any advice they have - whether asked or not!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"