Special Needs
Options

I wish I could stop worrying. And google is not my friend.

I lurk here a lot, although I rarely post. My older son is speech delayed (possibly apraxic, although no formal diagnosis) and my infant son had an IVH at birth, so we're hyper-attentive to any kind of motor difficulties with him.

As a compulsive soft-spot checker with my baby ... I've noticed his fontanel getting smaller. A quick google check indicates that it's supposed to stay open until his second year. Now I'm trying to push down the panic and look at the big picture ... he's doing great for his adjusted age, he's actually surpassing our expectations, he's fat and happy.

I just need a switch to turn my brain off sometimes.

Re: I wish I could stop worrying. And google is not my friend.

• Options
    I hear you. Google used to be my best friend before DD's problems started showing up. Now, I try not to Google too much. It was literally making me sick with worry.
  • Options

as I like to say - I am not a Dr , but i play one on google.

Google had me crying yesterday. The upside is it makes you a much more proactive mom and helps you know what kids of questions to ask the dr, so I could never give it up!

I hope all will be well

imageimage
    Max 4-08-08 and Michael 2-03-91 (19 years olds)
    image Both boys were born w/ hirschsprung's disease, you find yourself facing this dx, please feel free to ask me any questions.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Every child is going to be different and there can be problems if the skull fuses too early. However, my son who is now almost 2 1/2 had a very small fontanelle to begin with and it closed earlier than I would have expected, definitely before a year.  He's completely fine! You probably have a 9 month appt. coming up pretty soon and the pedi would tell you if he was concerned.
    Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker Lilypie Expecting a baby Ticker
  • Options
    The anterior fontanel can start closing at 4 months although average is 17 months.  Try not to worry if he's progressing fine.  My daughter's AF appears to have closed pretty early but of course we won't know if it means anything for a while.  She has motor delays and communication delays...  we will see if they correct with therapy. She sees a neurologist for microcephaly (although I'm not sure she really has this as her head is inching closer to being on the charts) so she is being monitored closely.  Try not to worry if his development seems fine.  It is definitely hard to shut off your brain!
  • Options

Google is EVIL :) 

He is probably fine, but if you are worrying your self sick about it, schedule a pedi appointment and have it checked.  No sense in worrying about it!  Our minds can be terrible things!!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"