Birth Stories

My pre-e c-section at 36 wks

In the 35th week I was told that the baby was "very breech and very low" with no possibility of turning him manually, so right then my natural birth plan went out the window.  We scheduled a c-section for 10/14, 6 days before my due date, since they didn't want me to go into labor.  A few days later my husband left for his last boys trip - 12 days in Europe (boy were we stupid).

I started swelling up a lot and gained something like 6 lbs in one week, but I figured it was the heat and end-of-pregnancy fun.  I woke up on 9/22 feeling horrible - oh wait, I didn't really sleep much at all.  I even worked out that morning, and went in to work.  I had a 4pm NST at the hospital, where my mother in law was joining me.  During the test my blood pressure was up pretty high, and I was thinking maybe they will put me on bed rest.  But they sent me to L&D, and told me not to eat or drink anything.  Hmmm.

In L&D blood was drawn for labs.  I called my mom to let her know what was going on.  As I was on the phone with her, they asked what I ate last.  Oh crap.  The nurse then let us know that they were probably going to do the c-section that night.  But I was in total denial.  My husband was gone, I was not ready at home, I had a ton of stuff to do at work, and hello - only 36 wks!!  I am so type "A," didn't they know this was not ok with me?  My labs came back pretty high I guess, because by 6:30 they were telling me what time we were going into surgery.  I was pre-eclampsic and had hypertension.  WTH?

I was so scared, and upset, but I really never lost it like I imagined I would.  I called my husband (it was 4 am in Germany) so he could make a flight to get back.  I called a couple other people and made some lists - I didn't even have my hospital bag packed.  The time flew by but my only reaction aside from denial was uncontrollable shaking.  My IV was started, I changed, handed over my jewelery and walked down to the OR.  Holy crap.

Looking back, I can't believe how calmly I made it through my spinal block - I just pictured the beached of my Bora Bora honeymoon.  I was still shaking so hard, I was afraid they would not be able to cut me properly.  They assured me I was not shaking below the spinal block.  My mother and sister were in the operating room with me.  My mom kept standing up to look over the curtain and watch, but control freak that I am, I wanted her to sit since I couldn't see, she couldn't see.  They started my surgery at 10:06, and he was out by 10:14.  I just stared at the clock and I am pretty sure I held my breathe.  The doctor said "he's going to like jewelry, he's wearing 3 necklaces" which I totally didn't get, but the cord was wrapped around his neck 3 times.

He was 5 lbs, 19 inches.  He cried a bit, and was pretty mad, but he did have to be put on c-pap for breathing and went directly to the NICU.  That also should have freaked me out, but my mom was a NICU nurse for 15+ years, and she went with him and my sister stayed with me.  

To wrap this up I will summarize, I spent the next 24 hours on magnesium sulfate for the pre-eclampsia and then had blood pressure issues that kept me in the hospital for a total of 6 days.  Baby spent that whole time in the NICU, but we were able to go home together on 9/28.   The last 3 wks feel more like one really long day, but it has also been wonderful.  He is a breastfeeding champ and is already up to 6lbs 8 oz. and gaining every day.  He doesn't go more then 2 hours without eating, but its worth it all.  What happened was not how I ever thought it would be, and while it was traumatic, I would do it again! 

Re: My pre-e c-section at 36 wks

• Congrats on your LO! It is awesome that you got to go home together.
  • Oh my goodness!!!  It really could happen at any time.  Glad you are doing well.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers 1st m/c July 2008, 2nd m/c December 2008, Baby boy born in 2009!, 3rd m/c (c/p) June 2011, 4th m/c September 2011
  • Loading the player...
  • congrats on your lo
  • What an amazing story! Congratulations! I'm thankful you both are ok.
  • Sounds like you really held up like a champ.  Congratulations!!!!  Just in case something like this happens when my time comes (knock on wood all goes well) are there any "tips" and words of wisdom you could give girls who end up having a c-section?  Some people say to get up right away and start moving...things like this.  I heard one girl used a belly bandit because it made her feel like everything was held together?  I dont know, just thought you might have some things you could share from your experience.  Congratulations!!!  :~)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagekellyjojo:
    Sounds like you really held up like a champ.  Congratulations!!!!  Just in case something like this happens when my time comes (knock on wood all goes well) are there any "tips" and words of wisdom you could give girls who end up having a c-section?  Some people say to get up right away and start moving...things like this.  I heard one girl used a belly bandit because it made her feel like everything was held together?  I dont know, just thought you might have some things you could share from your experience.  Congratulations!!!  :~)

Yes, move right away and keep up on your meds.  During my stay in the hospital I had some good nurses and I had some bad ones, who I had to constantly remind to bring my meds.  Not good.  Also, if you plan on breastfeeding and are away from your LO be sure to start pumping.  I did this and ended up coming home with a freezer stash already, it was working so well (I pumped 8-10 times per day while there).  GL!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"