New Hampshire Babies
Options

What is safe when TTC?

So DH and I are not really "trying" per se but we aren't preventing it from happening either. I'm wondering if its still safe to drink alcohol, coffee etc when TTC. Technically at I could get pregnant and not realize until I missed a period so I'm not sure if I should avoid these habits or if it doesn't matter. TIA!
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: What is safe when TTC?

• Options
    reducing caffeine intake could be beneficial in conceiving but you don't need to totally cut it out. I also think if you aren't binge drinking, you should be fine...you share no nutrients with the baby until 10 weeks.
    "Normal day, let me be aware of the treasured day you are. Let me learn from you, love you, bless you before you depart...let me hold you while I may."

TTC #1- unexplained...lost left ovary 4/07 IUI #1 2/10/09-BFN IUI #2 3/5/09-BFN IVF # 1-BFP

TTC#2- FET 4/7/11 BFP, Natural mc 5/5/11 IVF#2 ER 9/13/11, ET 9/16/11, Beta #1 9/27/11 BFP 254 Beta #2 9/30/11 793 -Twins!

• Options

I have been thinking about this same thing since TTC. I have come up with these arguments but have not really reached a decision because I love coffee and really enjoy a beer or two now and again. I switched to half decaf coffee and have cut back on my alcohol.

Since there is no placenta early on, as mentioned there is less of a problem...the zygote/ embryo would be floating in fluid with the same % alcohol as your blood stream.

Women consumed alcohol and caffeine for thousands of years when pregnant and not everyone was messed up.

Other side of that though, really important stuff is going on during those early weeks, like oh say brain development, building a heart, etc.

• Loading the player...
  • Options

I had a few drinks and did Red Bull, etc when I was pregnant (before the missed period)....the doctor said it's okay. The one thing you want to avoid is binge drinking, but having a drink/beer here or there won't cause any harm.

However, I would start cutting the caffeine down so that when you are pregnant, it won't be as much of a hassle. We weren't trying so I had no warning and all the sudden I needed to drop my caffeine intake down. Throw in the morning sickness, sore boobs and a caffeine withdrawal on top of it...I was a mess.

HTH! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"