Pennsylvania Babies

XP: sleep suggestions?

I'm nearing my wit's end.  See here.

Any suggestions?

Re: XP: sleep suggestions?

• I'm having a hard time with her going to sleep and staying a sleep. She likes to wake up 45 min after we put her down.  Don't have a problem with her STTN though.  Maybe try putting him in a swing. I was by the doctor to let them cry it out, but people on the board seem to think it's cruel (I do too kind of). I bought a book off of ebay by Dr. Ferber. I think it said we can start using that mathod at 4 months. Waiting for it to come thrw the mail....
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Is he staying with you guys now or did he move to a crib, etc? If he already moved, is he maybe missing being near you? If he's still with you, would he possibly be ready to move to a crib and sleep without smelling you? Is he just thrown off maybe from being away from home on a trip? Is he napping well during the day or is all of his sleep off? Can you put him to bed just a tiny bit later to shift that longer sleep cycle to go a bit later for you?  I know I'm not much help, but just wanted to throw out some potential thoughts. I'd guess that there's a really good chance that you're right on with the growth spurt, especially if he's sucking like he's famished. If that's the case and you think you would at least be able to get a bit more sleep if you guys snuggle for those last few hours, I'd definitely try that! Especially if it means better sleep for both of you as you're getting ready to get up for work in the morning again. Hope it gets better for you SOON!!
  • Loading the player...
  • I agree about trying to keep him up later.  Maybe a warm bath, massage, and maybe bicycling legs before bedtime to help calm his body/belly.  Curdled milk can also be a sign of an allergy/intollerance...is it happening alot?  Have you introduced something new into your/his diet or is there something your eating alot of?
  • Thanks for the suggestions!!

He's in his crib.  At least until I give up in the early morning and bring him in bed with me.

He did four hours, then three hours last night, so maybe we're moving in the right direction.  We did stay out late last night, so he didn't go to bed until 11.

I guess patience is key, and we've just got to wait it out. 

And the curds were just normal BM curds -- same ones in spit up and poop.  If there's one thing that's working for us (and that I know I'm doing right and well) it's BF. :)

• It sounds like it could be many things. A growth spurt? Is he learning something new that he wants to try?

I looked at your tickern and, for me, the dreaded "wakeful" period started early just before she turned three months old. Prior to that, she STTN or close to it.

I did a lot of research and what I learned was that the "wakeful" period starts when baby sleep turns to adult sleep. Prior to that, babies fall asleep and quickly move to REM sleep. As they get older, their sleep patterns change and they cycle more quickly, thus waking up more frequently. They need to learn to sooth themselves back to sleep.

The only thing that worked for me was swaddling her super tight (always broke out) and a lot of patience. It got better, but only after she learned to roll to her belly.

I'm sorry you're not getting your sleep. It can be very exhausting and frustrating.

I hope it ends soon!

• imageEmmy323:

Is he learning something new that he wants to try?

Ooooh - good suggestion! Is he right on the edge of doing something big? Rolling over? Holding his head up really well? Really holding things? We've noticed a ton that right before they do something big, they have issues with getting good, solid sleep. 

• Cole just did this, but I'm thinking it was the 3 month growth spurt, a tad bit early.  Last night he slept from 11:30-9 am!  The whole week and a half before that he was up a minimum of 4 times per night.  I was just about at the end of my rope, and suddenly, he's sttn again.  Hopefully it will be the same for you! 

ttf21e9.aspx

ttf2202.aspx

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"