Pennsylvania Babies

Pain Medications/Epidural

We finished our childbirth classes last weekend, so we've been thinking a lot about our options for pain management during labor. I'm not 100% sure that I want to have an epidural, although I am still open to it and think that I will want to make this decision when the time comes. I want to be able to move around a lot, which is my concern with the epi, but I know that if I need it, I won't be afraid to ask.

Has anyone used any of the other pain medications, such as Nubain, Demoral, etc? I like that these options "curb" the pain and would still allow me to move around and walk, use the tub, etc., but a disadvantage is that it can cause drowsiness in both mom (not worried about me) and baby. Our instructor who has been a L&D nurse for most of her life hardly sees a baby with slowed reflexes due to these meds - still, its something that I keep thinking about and am unsure about.

If anyone can share any of their experiences (including no meds to using an Epi), that would be great. Thanks! 

Re: Pain Medications/Epidural

• I knew going in that I'd probably take the epi. I wasn't dilating on my own (water broke at 10pm; walked quite a bit during the night. at 8 am no change) so they put me on pitocin. I actually lasted about 7 or 8 hours on pitocin which made the contractions VERY strong before I got the epi.  I don't remember what they gave me after the c-section I ended up with but that was enough (it was something IV every 6 hours) to tide me over even though w/o it there was quite a bit of pain (whenever they were late bringing it in and it'd wear off.  Totally different. I think what you're doing is a good idea. Don't rule it out and be open to it if you need it.
  • I had an epi.  I needed pitocin (my water broke and 12 hours later I hadn't started active labor on my own), and my contractions were coming one after another and I was getting no rest between them.  When I got the epi was right at 5 cm, and a little over  an hour I had dialated fully and was ready to push.  The epi really helped me to relax.   I could feel when I needed to push.  I did experience the itchiness that can happen with an epi - it felt more like I was covered in fuzzies and being tickled, but it was a small price to pay for the relief.  Once I needed the pitocin, I was on an IV and my movement was limited, so the epi didn't really limit it any more. 

Unfortunately due to DD's position, I wound up needing a C-section after pushing for three hours, so I really didn't have a delivery experience with the epi. 

• Loading the player...
  • I chose to go med free, and was fortunate that my labor progressed quickly.  I've pretty much known my whole life that I wanted to go this route, but there were a few things that really solidified it for me in the end.  I'd be happy to talk to you more about it if you want to email me becsunshine at hotmail dot com.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I went med-free and never regretted my decision.  I have to say though-- pain meds were never going to be an option for me because I knew that natural was what was best for me and my family.  I might have changed my mind if my hard labor lasted 2 days or something, but pretty much everyone that I've known that has said that they would try to go natural but would consider meds, ended up getting meds.  I think if it's in your mind, then it's a possibility.  Also, I prepared for a natural childbirth during my pregnancy.  i read some amazing books (if you're interested, let me know), took prenatal yoga, and used a doula.  I think that going into labor confident that your body will do what it needs to do is half the battle.  Obviously natural isn't for everyone, and whatever you decide, all that matters is that you and the baby are healthy! 
  • When I had Raymond I originally refused the epidural.  In my mind, my labor would not be bad since he was so tiny and so early.  I did not realize that your body does not know that your baby is early and so your labor is like any other baby.  But originally they gave me something to take the edge off.  I do not remember what it was but when they first gave it to me it made me feel drunk and light headed, although it did take away the pain.  But as my labor progressed it worked less and less.  They'd give me a dose and it would only last for 10-15 minutes until I finally gave in and got the epidural and was so much more comfortable then.  I also have a fairly low tolerance for pain though too.

And with Olivia I had a c-section so I had the spinal.  I can also tell you that my sister had her first two without meds because she went so quickly and begged for them for the third one. 

• You are getting so close!! I think your plan of an open mind is a good way to go.  I wanted to go natural.  However, I went in with an open mind.    

I was induced and went from 8 am to 4 pm with nubain- the pain was manageable- like bad period cramps. Then, the pain became unbearable and I got an epi- it was like heaven!!! I ended up with a c-section.   

Before I delivered- I had the same concerns/thoughts as you did. As I said before, I really wanted to do it med-free. I was talking to my friends about this and one of my friends who has 6 kids (she had epi's with all of them) told me "just remember, your kid isn't going to go to college wearing a t-shirt that says 'my mom did it natural.'  It made me laugh, but put things in perspective.     

• I've never posted on here - only lurked - but I have something to add so I figured now was the time. 

I went med-free until I was 8cm dilated.  For most of my labor I was up walking around and changing positions.  Around 8 cm, my water broke and everything became much more intense.  First I asked for stadol (sp) through the IV to try and curb the pain (I had the same opinion as you) but unfortuanately it did not work at all.  I then asked for the epidural and I'm very glad I did.  The epidural took away the pain and allowed me to relax and rest a bit.  I could still feel my legs and still feel the pressure of contractions. 

For some moms it's very important to them to keep childbirth natural and I think that's awesome.  For me, I wanted to go as long as possible w/o meds so I could progress on my own, but I don't feel at all disappointed that I eventually got the epi.  IMO, what's important is a healthy baby and a happy family and how you get there doesn't really  matter.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • My L&D progressed fairly quickly.  My water broke at 11pm before I went to the hospital so the tub wasn't an option for laboring in.  My intense contractions started around 2am.  Somewhere between 2-3am I was given stadol (sp?).  It took the edge off for a short time period.  I don't think it caused drowsiness but can't be positive.  They offered the epi 4am, I got it at 6am, and delivered E at 11am.  By the time I got the epi I was progressing quickly and didn't need or want to walk around.  The umbilical cord was wrapped around E's neck, his heart rate kept dropping so they didn't want me walking around throughout ANY of my labor.  I had to lie in a position that was best for him based on his heart rate for nearly my entire labor.

I guess the point of my story is that it's great you are going in with an open mind b/c you never know what is going to happen.  I had planned to use the tub, walk, sway, use the exercise ball, etc but I was in the bed except to get up to use the bathroom.

{Blog}
    TTC since Jan 07. Dx with PCOS Jan 08 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thanks for sharing! I talked to the doctor this morning some more about my options, and we still have some thinking to do, but I guess the biggest thing is that I am flexible.  There is no way knowing what will really happen and for me, that means that right now I don't know what I'll want- my labor could be short, long, or things could come up that I have no control over. Innerpeace, I do think that you're right in that most people who are open to doing natural but aren't 100% committed end up going with pain meds in the end. There is a lot of preparation that needs to be done, which my doctor and I also discussed, even if I would use stadol or nubain since that isn't administered after 8 cm.

Anyway, baby is breech right now. She of course has plenty of time to move, but I'm really hoping that I can experience a vaginal delivery!

• I had two very different experiences.  With DD1 I was so scared I begged for the epidural.  The epi hit a nerve and I lost complete feeling in my left leg.  The epi did help with contractions, but not the actual delivery.  I have to say it really did help me relax, but it took a while after delivery until I had feeling in my leg and was able to walk, 

With DD2  I had my mind made up I was going med free and that's exactly what happened.  When we have another baby I will definetly go med free...it was just so much easier.  I really think if med free is something you are considering research it and talk to other mothers who chose med free...you really have to be mentally prepared.  I also recommend having a birthing coach or your DH be committed to helping you get through your birthing plan. 

• I thought maybe I could go pain free and move through contractions, but once I got in there, the wires from all the monitors, blood pressure cuff and the IV prevented me from moving much at all.  I hadn't expected to be so wired and strapped up, but things moved quickly, so they wanted to keep everyone monitored.

In reality, everytime I tried to move or change position off the bed I tripped over a wire or pulled something loose.  That frustrated the SH!T out of me and REALLY tested my patience.  Not sure why they promoted walking through contractions during my childbirth classes, cause it certainly wasn't an option for me.

But then again, maybe it was because everything moved so fast that they had me strapped up from the first minute I was in the hospital.

Eventually I decided to go with the Epi, and I'm very glad I did.  Didn't slow labor at all for me, and I really enjoyed the experience.

• I had the exact same thought process before I had Connor,  I was hoping to go natural, but open to medications if I really needed it.

By the time I got to the hospital (the second time) and was admitted, I was only 4cm but the contractions were every 3 minutes and I was literally crying through them.  I didnt even hestitate to get the epidural and it was the best decision I could've made.   I was able to get some rest over the next couple of hours and after over 24 hours of slow labor I started to progress very quickly.  When I started pushing I couldnt really feel the contractions too strongly, but after an hour of pushing and a round of pitocin, the meds werent really working anymore and I felt everything, knew when to push before being told and was honestly happy that I could feel things again.

With this baby I am definitely getting the epidural again, no way can I even imagine doing it without it.

I do agree, if you dont fully have your heart set on going natural, once they ask you if you want the epi, you will take it.... everyone tells you its going to be painful, but you cant even imagine how painful it really is until it happens. 

Good Luck !

• I think it's good that you are exploring all of the options now and definitely  try to go in with an open mind. You never know what's going to happen. With DD#1 I was dead set on having an epi and thought there was no way I could handle the pain. Things happened so unexpectedly and so quickly, that there was time for NOTHING! Fortunately, I had a very quick labor - painful, but quick! Knowing that I handled it before, I really don't want an epi this time. DH thinks that I should (he doesn't want to see/hear me in pain!), but again, I'm going into it this time with an open mind. I will make the decision when the time comes.   
  • I had an Epi and am so glad I did. I had to be induced Thursday at 7:00PM  and didn't have her until 9:27 AM Saturday. I couldn't have done with otherwise. I needed to sleep. I got the Epi around 8 or 9 Saturday night, so I had a good 12 hours before she was born. As it was, I had to push for 2 hours. Had I not had the epi, I wouldn't have been able to sleep and would not have had enough energy to push. Good luck!
  • I think going in with an open mind is great. I had a birth plan, but was open to changing it if needbe. I was hoping to go into labor on my own, no pain meds (I too was worried about the baby being born drowsy)  with minimal intervention (pitocin, etc) unless medically necessary. I ended up being induced because of my BP and protein in my urine at 39 weeks, had my water broken, was giving pitocin when things weren't progressing, and after the pain became unbearable I asked for the epi. I'm not disappointed that my labor and delivery experience was basically the opposite of my birth plan. Writing my birth plan, I knew it might not be what actually happened, and I was OK with that.

Good luck!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Thanks again for everyone's feedback. The fact of having the energy to push should I have a long labor has been on my mind lately, so thanks for sharing your experience WifeofaMarine.

I do have my birth "plan" written up, but state that it is just a guide of things I want to consider and that I will choose what is best for my baby/self at the time. In the meantime, I'll continue to read up and hopefully get a clearer idea of what I'd like to do! 

• I will say my experience is completely different because it was twins.  But during my birthing class there was a girl there that was absolutely insistent she wanted the epi and wanted it the minute she got to the hospital.  Our instructor tried very hard to explain how long labor might last and how long she would be stuck in one spot and to keep on open mind.

So I think that is best that you have an open mind.

We had a birth plan written that got completely thrown out the window when my water broke at 34wk 5days.

I would have really loved the tub, but once my water was broke that wasn't an option and plus they really wanted to be to monitor the boys.  I was given pitocin just to speed things along.  I labored w/o meds until about 5 almost 6 cm.  Then asked for the epi.  In my case, was very glad I had it because doc had to turn baby b to get him out or I would have ended up delivery baby a vaginally and baby b c-section.

My point - as long as you have an open mind that is key. I would listen to your nurse and doc once you are there and in labor, as they can give you the best advice that fits your situation at the time.

• I tried the Stadol first and all it did was make me sleepy and then I got irritable because the contractions were getting worse and I was sleepy.

I am SO happy with my decision to get an epidural.  It made my L&D experience so much better!  I would do it again in a heartbeat.

• I went med-free with Lyla, and it was definitely tougher than I expected... but worth it in the end. It's such a personal decision, though... everyone's experience and expectations are just so different.

I labored at home for a while... and by the time we got the hospital, I was dilated 6 cms and the contrax were rough, but manageable. From 6 to 8 cms, the pain grew very intense, but I dealt with it by moving around, laboring in the shower on a birthing ball, and breathing. Being on hands and knees felt best. (No meds means no IV, which was great!)

But that last 1-2 hours (transition) before I was fully dilated were very, very challenging. I remember saying "I don't think I can do this, I think I need the medicine" and the midwife said, "you ARE doing it... and it's too late for medicine!" My labor was really quick, though, which can make the contrax closer together and extra intense (similar to the effect Pitocin has on your body, according to the MW). Then again, it was nice to get it over with quickly!

Pushing was actually a relief... for me, it felt good to be doing something, not just submitting to the pain of the contrax. As soon as Lyla was born, she was alert and healthy and latched right on to breastfeed. When they eventually took her up to the nursery, I was able to get right up and walk to the bathroom, which felt great... a shred of normalcy in the midst of all the craziness. Overall, I recovered very, very quickly.

When I have another child, I plan to go med-free again... but we'll see how it goes. As I said, I think each experience is different, so I'm keeping an open mind. Good luck with your birth... I'm sure you'll find what's right for you! :)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"