Special Needs
Options

Vent re Facebook status and SN kids

A high school classmate of mine who is a Facebook friend just updated her status to say that she found out today she had an early miscarriage.  She closes the post with the statement "I guess better to have this happen now than later on or have a '[name of local rehab/therapy facility]' kid."  While I can only imagine how upset she is, I can't believe that she made such an insensitive comment like that about special needs kids.  I would think that by this age we are long beyond calling kids the "R" word (or a just as offensive euphemism).  If we lived locally, Zach would probably be getting OT at the facility.

I think it goes without saying what I'd pick if I had a choice of no Zach at all or Zach on his worst day.  And while she may not be aware of what is going on with Zach, we have a mutual Facebook friend couple (whom I consider actual friends) who have a 2nd grader with spina bifida and lower body paralysis.  Maybe they have thicker skin than me and won't be offended.

Vent over.  I needed to get that out.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Vent re Facebook status and SN kids

• Options

very insensitive...the only thing that can excuse her is that she's not in the right state of mind and she's grieving...in her own way.

People are insensitive about this sort of stuff around me all the time....unfortunately mainly family members, and yes, some of them know what we're going through. It stings every time and many times it's hard to just politely let it go and ignore it.

I'm sorry - take a deep breath. I know how that feels....the mama lion awakens inside of me every time somebody insults my kid (though indirectly) and I want to let them have it.

• Options

ugh... that sucks. I would hope the grief over her miscarriage is fueling the insensitivity... still, I'd have a hard time with that kind of statement as well. I find a lot of "friends" post questionable stuff that I could easily take offense to, but in the end, I just choose to believe that being rude and insensitive isn't their intent and there's probably a lot lost "in translation"... may not be the case, but it's easier that way.

A sister is a little bit of childhood that can never be lost. ~Marion C. Garrett
    image7_0002 A ~ 2.7.06 S ~ 9.2.07
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    That is horrible.  Unfortunately there are people who are caught up in their own grief that they do not even think about what they are doing to others.
  • Options

I adore my son and every second I get to spend with him even though I am drained due to therapy etc ..she was horribly insensative and Idon't care a bit about her condition since she said this.

there is no doubt I would have said it to her. I would respond with well we absolutely adore our son and are thrilled to have him. I guess we all have our own wishes.

sorry but ew

• Options

If she wasn't going through such a sensitive time right now, a private message would have been in order.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
     I hate how people can be so insensitive.  I have a coworker that likes to spew the "r-word" every 5 minutes.  It makes me sick but I am trying to numb myself to it.  Some people will never understand....
  • Options
    That is absolutely horrible! I am so sorry that you had to read such crap.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Loss #1 (missed miscarriage) 14 weeks Loss #2 (missed miscarriage) 10 weeks Loss #3 (chemical pregnancy) Loss #4 (chemical pregnancy) Loss #5 (chemical pregnancy)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"