Philadelphia Babies
Options

Tips on avoiding thumb/hand sucking?

Hi all!

First, I want to say hi, and intro myself.  I am living in NE Philly, and DH and I had our DD in August.  Hello Everyone!

Our DD has quite the powerful need to suck, and as a result pacifiers are our best friends... However, lately she has been spitting it out in favor of chomping on her hands (soon to be her thumb, I am sure)

I have seen a lot of tips in getting babies to stop thumb sucking, but nothing on how to avoid it altogether.

Any tips?

Re: Tips on avoiding thumb/hand sucking?

• Options

Honestly, my DS does it and I am so thankful he sucks his fingers instead of a paci.

When he was around 3 months he did the same thing, rejecting the paci in favor of his fingers.  It was a huge help in getting him to STTN and self soothe.

Now he only does it occasionally when he's tired.  I am just curious, why do you want her to stop?

DS 3.12.08
    DD 7.11.09
    DD 8.01.13
  • Options

Hi Eaglesfan,

Thanks for the reply!  My cousin and a few of my friends' kids suck their thumbs or hands and they actually got raw and bleedy.   I am trying to avoid that.   My little one actually came out with a blood blister on her arm that she did in utero - she sucks that much and that hard...

She is 10 weeks right now and does ok through the night - she only gets up once now to get changed and fed, then falls right back to sleep.  The doc said she's on track to STTN in 2-3 weeks at this pace.

I am just concerned about potential rawness/bleeding.  Did you have this challenge?

• Loading the player...
  • Options

Wow, no, he's never had anything like that!  It just seems to be a comfort to him.  I would think there might be another issue if he sucked hard enough to cause rawness and bleeding!

We can also see DD is starting to try to suck her hands and we are all for it!  She STTN and has for a few weeks now, but I will be happy to not have to worry about having pacis with me at all times.

I would talk to your pedi maybe? We asked ours about it back when DS started and he said it was harmless.  GL!

DS 3.12.08
    DD 7.11.09
    DD 8.01.13
  • Options

Thanks Eaglesfan.   Yes, I talked to my pedi and he recommended I just gently discourage the behaviour, and if it gets to the rawness stage there is some nasty tasting liquid I can put on her thumbs to make it unpalatable - but I didn't want to get to a point where I am putting stuff on her hands :(

I appreciate the reply.  Perhaps because your DD and DS aren't sucking continuously it isn't an issue?    I do appreciate the reply. 

Here's to hoping my DD has as much luck as your DS and DD!

Thanks again!

• Options

Not sure why you want to stop it? How old is your child?
    Ethan is a thumbsucker and has been since in utero... he found his thumb at about 9 days old and has never stopped! He could self soothe at an early age and it is a surefire sign he is tired...

All babies have the need to suck and they feel comforted when they do, so pacifier or thumb are both going to satisfy. 

I dont think there is any way to get a baby to stop... None that I have ever heard, anyway. Good luck if that is your plan! 

2vc9jsg.jpg

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options

just read your further replies and E gets a red and sometimes raw thumb all the time.... never bothers him! when it bothers me (like when I think it would hurt!) I put some lanolin on it (Like for breastfeeding) perfectly safe and seems to soothe a bit.  He does have a small callous, but this is not an issue for him, so not an issue for me!

I agree with you, I wouldnt put a liquid on her hands, especially at her age, that seems very extreme...

2vc9jsg.jpg

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options

No problem, glad I could help!

When DS started, it was all.the.time, ha ha.  He constantly had his fingers in his mouth.  As he got older, it decreased and now it is only when he is tired.

DD isn't quite there yet, but it will be interesting to see what happens.  I honestly would just let it go and see what happens.  GL!

DS 3.12.08
    DD 7.11.09
    DD 8.01.13
  • Options

What if you put those little infant mits on your baby?  I have seen fingers get so bad that the skin comes off and gets VERY infected. (I work at a daycare). 

Just a suggestion.  Good luck!!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"