LGBT Parenting
Options

starting second dose of clomid

me and my wife just started planning a family. we took clomid for the first time with insemination and still no baby Confused. but we are looking to start all over next month. but im so confused i had all the test ahead of time to make sure pregnancy will be possible and they came back fine. so we are thinking it could be the donor. we dont know if we should go with a different company .. any ideas?? Hmm

Re: starting second dose of clomid

• Options

Welcome!

How many cycles have you tried for?  If you've used the donor a few times with no success, a change in donor isn't a bad idea - that makes a difference for some people. 

Though from the way your post is worded, it sounds like this might have been your first try?  (Sorry if I'm reading that wrong!)  I believe the average amount of cycles it takes for lesbian couples to conceive with frozen donor sperm is 6-9 cycles/months.  Many ladies who post here have gotten pregnant in 3-6.  So if this was try #1, remember that these things can take time!  Even if you do everything "right" a lot has to happen for egg and sperm to meet, implant, and stick...and there is a lot of luck involved.  It's great that you had testing done in advance, so you know that everything is a-ok with you - that gives you one less thing to worry about.

Best of luck with this next cycle, and let us know how it goes!

Mrs._F
    sahm ~ toddler breastfeeder ~ cloth diaperer ~ baby wearer

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options

And remember the success rate per cycle (even with no fertility issues and optimal timing) is 15-20%. Good luck with try #2!

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Are you being monitored while on the clomid? If so, you can tell whether or not the clomid is working (combination of follicle sizes and blood levels). If you're not being monitored, you definitely should be, so ask your current doc to monitor you or find one that will monitor you. Monitoring can give lots of clues about what is/isn't working in medicated cycles. Like pp have said, though, it usually doesn't happen on the first try, even if you're taking fertility drugs.

If all your tests have come back okay, does that mean you are on the clomid just to boost your chances of conceiving? Keep in mind that clomid can have some negative side effects (e.g. thin your lining), so if you don't *need* it it might be doing more harm than good (though probably not on your first cycle or two). Again something that can be figured out via monitoring (checking lining thickness before ovulation).

How are your donor stats (count, motility, etc.)? If they are decent, it probably wouldn't be a bad idea to stick with the same donor for a few cycles. We'd decided to do 3 cycles before switching (because our donor had low counts and, at that point, no reported pregnancies), and we got pregnant on the 3rd try.

Best of luck to you! Smile

married 03/08/08 -- ttc with PCOS (dx 2005) & DS
    IUI #3 gave us the best 2nd anniv. gift ever: 2 babies! (born 03/09/10)
    Peanut and Little Man are getting so big! 2 years old already!
    finally blogging again at This Will Be: An Adventure
  • Options

I too had all the tests, responded well to follicle stimulating drugs, and was always monitored closely (multiple ultrasounds before trigger).  You'll see from my signature that I didn't get pregnant on my first through seventh tries, then had two losses before this pregnancy.  Yes, I'm a lucky number 10 kind of girl.

I know that even one BFN feels like a huge blow, but try to be patient.  It really can take awhile, and it doesn't mean that anything is wrong.  (Of the bloggers I regularly follow, I count myself as one of the lucky ones... I've seen others' TTC processes that are much longer, more expensive, and more heartwrenching.)

I want you to know I understand your feelings.  Before my own subfertility came into play, my partner had a much faster process (four tries over six months).  At the time, it felt like forever.  Waiting for your life to change so drastically and not having much control over the process... it was the hardest thing we'd ever faced.  Wonderful but hard.

Good luck, and try to give yourself and your body credit.  You'll be able to do this... it's all a matter of when.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"