Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

Love/Hate Microfiber or Chenille Sofa

I'm currently looking for new living room furniture and keep going back and forth between these two fabrics.  Anyone have any experience to share with me? 

Re: Love/Hate Microfiber or Chenille Sofa

• I have a microfiber and like it.  Spills wipe up easily and it wears well. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• DG1DG1 member

imageMc_Newlywed:
    I have a microfiber and like it.  Spills wipe up easily and it wears well. 

Agreed. We have a microfiber ottoman that still looks pretty good despite DS's attempts to stain it with various messes.

• Loading the player...
  • imageMc_Newlywed:
    I have a microfiber and like it.  Spills wipe up easily and it wears well. 

Agreed. If you can name it, I've dumped it on our microfiber sofa. This includes pee (thank you, incontinent dog). I have never had a problem getting anything out with no stains, smells, or residue issues. I don't think I'll ever buy a sofa that's NOT microfiber!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We just bought a microfiber couch, and we're VERY happy w/ it. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • ditto everything on the microfiber! love it!

we didn't buy the stain protection whatever they tried to sell us and it still cleans up VERY well.  couldn't be happier!

• I have a Chenille sofa and I really like it.  I thought it would be more difficult to clean, but it is pretty simply.  I was surprised.  Most people I know have a microfiber and agree that they clean well.  The only complaint I've ever heard about microfiber is that if you really sit in one place all the time the microfiber can wear off.  I don't know 1st hand though, maybe she just has a crappy one.  We didn't get microfiber cause DH doesn't like them.

We also have a leather couch, and in all honesty, THAT is the way to go!  The seats don't come out, so crumbs can't get down in it, they just wipe right off, and Method leather cleaning wipes get up everything!  It is a piece of cake to care for! 

• Do you have pets?  I have 2 dogs and the fur situation is out of control.  They aren't allowed on the furniture but the hair manages to get weaved into the couch all the time.  We have a microfiber couch in the basement which is ok and a chenille one in the living room which I think sucks.  The microfiber one is easy to clean everyday stains and the fur comes off easy.  The chenille one doesn't clean well and I feel like it shows everything.  I would say if you have pets NEVER get a chenille couch.  Just my opinion.
  • We have a microfiber chair and chenille couch and loveseat in our living room and I like both. Both are super easy to clean.

My only gripe is that our chair is black and the microfiber attracts every dust and hair in the house (it seems lol). I do vacuum it off every few days and it looks really fresh, but it is kind of a p.i.t.a.... A lighter color will be much better.

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageroxysurf99:
    Do you have pets?  I have 2 dogs and the fur situation is out of control.  They aren't allowed on the furniture but the hair manages to get weaved into the couch all the time.  We have a microfiber couch in the basement which is ok and a chenille one in the living room which I think sucks.  The microfiber one is easy to clean everyday stains and the fur comes off easy.  The chenille one doesn't clean well and I feel like it shows everything.  I would say if you have pets NEVER get a chenille couch.  Just my opinion.

I would agree with all of these.  Our dogs are hell on our chenille couch downstairs but the microfiber couch is a breeze with fur!

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • We actually have leather right now and it's in pretty decent condition but I'm over it.  That's probably why I'm so on the fence about everything with these two fabrics.  We have no pets but between the kids and the DH they're not the cleanliest.  Would I be crazy to consider a light color microfiber?? Is it any better if the couch is a herringbone microfiber (less likely to show wear)??  I just can't trust the sales ppl for some reason.
  • I LOVE our microfiber couch and loveseat.  We have had so much milk dribbled on the couch, I have even spilled ketchup on it and I just wipe it up with a wet rag.  I would definitely buy one again.  We purchased ours from sofa mart and they give you a cleaning package when you buy from them. 

girls photo zvczv.jpg

• We have microfiber sets in our living room and family room.   The family room set is over 5 years old and is holding up fantastically!  I love microfiber.  It's perfect for having kids...or just messy adults. We've cleaned pen and other stains off ours very easily.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Thanks ladies! You've helped to ease my mind and make this decision a little less painstaking on my DH.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"