Trouble TTC

late ovulation & long luteal phase

Hi ladies -?

just a quick question: ?i ovulate at day 22 (based on CBEFM & charting)

I also have a typical 14 day luteal phase. ?

my dr. wants me to try clomid. ?everything I've read is that clomid should be used if the luteal phase isn't long enough. ?mine seems sufficient. ?what do you think? ?is there a different course of action I should be taking??

Re: late ovulation & long luteal phase

• Clomid will help you to ovulate sooner because most people ovulate 7-9 days after the last pill. It juices up your ovaries. So if you take clomid on days 3-8 or 4-9 you should ovulate alot sooner than you normally are. It is better to ovulate sooner in your cycle because supposedly the "fresher" the eggs the better the outcome.  

Clomid can also lengthen luteal phase because you ovulate harder and therefore produce more progesterone which lengthens your LP. I wouldn't worry about it lengthening yours though. When I took it it really only added one day to mine.

I recommend that you be monitored on clomid. Monitoring means day 3 bloodwork & ultrasound to check for cysts, ultrasound around day 11 or 12 to check follie growth and your body's response to clomid (make sure you don't have more than 3 lead follies-remember Jon & Kate) as well as an ultrasound after you o'd to confirm o (not everyone does this) and then followed by bloodwork 7 days after ovulation to check your P4 levels.

If that cycle is not sucessful and you decide to go again you will need the day three u/s again to verify that you have no cysts growing from the last cycle (follies that did not ovulate or ovulated and then filled up again with blood or fluid) Cysts will take over your cycle and not allow smaller follies to mature and release an egg. The whole cycle starts again from there.

If clomid doesn't do the trick by two or three cycles, you need to look for another option. I wouldn't take clomid unless I have already had full bloodwork, an HSG to check for blocked tubes and my DH has had a sperm analysis. If you Dr has not discussed with you the potential future chances of ovarian cancer if you do too many cycles using this drug then I would run.

Good Luck!

WAY 2 Cool 4 School

• imagekdodge423:

Let me guess, you are seeing an OB, have had no bloodwork done, no tests to check for blockages or abnormailites, no SA done.

Your doctor is a flaming moron. Get a new one that isn't a complete foll.

And if you haven't been trying for even a year yet, scratch all of the above and learn patience.

This 100%

• Loading the player...
  • I really hope all that info I typed out was appreciated.....**hint hint**

WAY 2 Cool 4 School

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"